FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Best Location for Wiper Motor (no heater)

Post Thanks / Like

Best Location for Wiper Motor (no heater)

All,

About the install my wiper motor. Nice clean firewall w/ no obstructions (e.g. heater box, electronics, etc.).

Would like to move it as much out of the way as possible.

Any suggestion on location (dimensions) and orientation would be appreciated.

M
    Mk4 #9165, Base Kit with lots of options, Delivery on 08/17/2017, Coyote, TKO600, 2015 IRS, 18" Halibrands, 12.99" Wilwoods

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You can see where I mounted mine in this old video:

https://youtu.be/PCngiKoopkA

Mount the motor just below the square tube on the passenger side of the car.
    Consider adding a backer plate or some sort of brace to better support it because the fire wall is so thin.
    Also, I've got pipe insulation protecting the drive spring so that's the goofy gray thing coming off the wiper motor.

Good Luck From The Dark Dart Side!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 08-03-2019 at 08:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Go Dad. Your spring thing isn't exposed right? It wont work if its not in a tube.
    Mike

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    Go Dad. Your spring thing isn't exposed right? It wont work if its not in a tube.
    Mike
    Mike,

The tubes are cut, flared and ready to install with the wheel boxes.
    I put the "Padded Spring Condom" on to protect it in the interim.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Without a heater, it's not hyper critical where the wiper motor gets mounted. What you want to pay attention to is the ability to get at it with the body on so it can be replaced if needed down the road. You also want to be sure that the cable (don't know what else to call it) has a natural arc from the end of the motor up to the body where the wipers will mount. You don't want any tight angles that will cause the cable to bind. Some guys even place a block between the motor and the firewall to move the motor forward a bit to reduce the initial angle to the first wiper gear box. Here is a picture of my placement and the wipers work fine:

My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    When I mounted mine the motor was the last part installed. I had the tube between the wheelboxes installed, and one beyond the driver side box. Then I got a rough idea where I wanted the motor and made up a tube to go between it and the first wheelbox. I installed it loosely in the motor and wheel box and then moved the motor around to the spot where the motor gave the straightest angle for the cable run.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a link to my page installing the wiper motor...
    I'd get it tucked over to the PS as far as practical, as this will make the tubing for the actuator cable as long as possible. A longer tube will make the bends needed (to align with the wheelboxes) as gradual as possible.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    You can see where I mounted mine in this old video:
    Thanks GoDadGo (Steve) thanks for the info. Like the temporary "Padded Spring Condom" idea. Noted on the brace. In hindsight, I wish I went for the thicker firewall.

BTW, I also love your videos. They keep me motivated, especially when you leave a little patch :

Papa, thanks for the picture, very helpful along with the guidance. I want to get it place and wires routed.
    Mk4 #9165, Base Kit with lots of options, Delivery on 08/17/2017, Coyote, TKO600, 2015 IRS, 18" Halibrands, 12.99" Wilwoods

9. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wiper Motor - Wiring Electrical Plug
    For those of us installing wipers, here's the wiring electrical plug for the motor. ********** sells it for $15.
    https://www.**********accessories.co...ical-plug.aspx

Parts - Wiper Plug.jpg

If you are using the supplied connectors, make sure to notice that there are two different sizes (width). One size (little ones) go on the motor, the larger ones go under the dash on the switch. Ask me how I know!
    PS: If you need more, Autozone carries the little ones.
    Last edited by Ducky2009; 08-03-2019 at 04:16 PM.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035