Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  95
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Blade's 33 build

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Blade
    Here's how I mounted mine at first.
    Oct31_6.jpg
    I'm debating about whether to flip it over and use spacers to get the transmission lower at the back to give me more exhaust room.
    Check out this post: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post387066

I'm interested to see how your stuff mounts up as you have a similar setup to mine.

You should have the mount in the box of goodies somewhere. I had to buy some bolts to attach to the transmission.
    - Peterh226 #1134
    '33 Hot Rod 2nd Gen. Blueprint 383 Sniper TKO Delivered 4/14/2019
    Full Fenders, Top, 3-Link, Wilwoods
    YOKOHAMA ADVAN NEOVA AD08 R | Fr 245/45 R17 | Rr 295/30 R18
    AR605 Torq-Thrust M Chrome | Fr 17x8 | Rr 18x10

Post Thanks / Like
    peter, I just looked at that post 2 minutes ago. Ironic....I will have to hunt down that mount. I have a plethora of bolts. I hope I have what I need. Our setups are close indeed. One of the things I've learned from these builds is they can vary greatly in the way they go together. Have you looked at the wiring harness? I mounted the fuse panel and made some preliminary observations. One bundle at a time.Thanks for the pic , it will help.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I’m going to go back to the mount I had and focus on the driveshaft and pinion angle first. Then I’m going to figure out how to get the exhaust to fit.
    - Peterh226 #1134

Post Thanks / Like
    I found out today that the transmission mount I've been searching for was never shipped. Coming later this week. I thought I had lost my mind, looked everywhere. I inadvertently had put a check mark on my inventory sheet. But, aside from that this showed up todaymotor in the crate.jpg383 crate motor.jpg Blueprint 383 w/holley750. HP 448 TQ 482
    I looked it over and not a scratch, then realized I need black finned valve covers,dual feed fuel line and fuel pump,harmonic balancer, short water pump,drive system w/ac and alternator. etc...etc

5. Likes JOP33, FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have learned that time management is not my strong suit. TKO 600 with GM 621 bell housing and Hydramax throw out bearing took some doing. I found all the grade 8 fasteners at my local ACE. The trans,bell housing, clutch and related stuff came from American Powertrain. With some friends help on Saturday it should be in the car.engine and trans together.jpgengine and trans right side.jpg

7. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    today started out great. Had some friends come over to help put engine/trans in the car. went pretty smooth. having the tools made the difference. The only problem was headers SUM-G9105 did not fit. The install addendum for SBC says use SUM-G9005. Summit said these were the same only ceramic coated. drivers side #1 cylinder pipe contacts the frame upper round tube, making it impossible to install. passenger side contacts the bell housing. Am I missing something? I could move the motor back as much as 1inch and still have clearance for the dist. from the firewall. It won't solve the passenger side, but I think I could finesse it to fit. engine in car.jpgengine on the lift.jpgdriveshaft in.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    problem identified. the headers sum-g9105 do not work. primary tube is 15/8 collector 3 inch. should be primary 1.5inch and 2.5 collector. headers heading back as of this afternoon and ceramic flowtech headers enroute. Continued with floor this afternoon. Should finish that segment tomorrow. floor phase1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    finished the floors last week. used black 3m 5200, any that squirted out was easy to clean up. New headers fit great, the exhaust pieces did not fit at all. I was able to cut and re-weld the two pipes and drivers side is complete, needs a little adjusting. PS is together and needs supports and tightening. I was really frustrated with my welding, I have not welded tubing much, found it challenging. exhaust drivers side.jpgdrivers side head pipe.jpgpassenger side exhaust.jpgfloor.jpgfloor 2.jpg

11. Likes JOP33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought this would be easy, apparently not. I ordered a pulley drive system from Summit. Made by Eddie Motorsports. Crank pulley is way to deep. Sending back. What systems work on SBC with a/c and alt only??? I would really like your input. I think I need to step back a bit, it seems like everything has been harder than it should. The exhaust was making me crazy, the throttle cable/pedal was well you know. I did shift gears today and did some powder coating. let me know what you think. The color is black chrome, the valve covers have raised ribs,after powder applied I took my finger and removed the powder on the rib. It took 2 applications of the powder to get it right. The top of the air cleaner was done also, its in the last pic.valve covers before.jpgvalve covers after powder applied.jpgvalve covers completed.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Powder coating looks great, good job!
    Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade View Post
    I thought this would be easy, apparently not. I ordered a pulley drive system from Summit. Made by Eddie Motorsports. Crank pulley is way to deep. Sending back. What systems work on SBC with a/c and alt only??? I would really like your input. I think I need to step back a bit, it seems like everything has been harder than it should. The exhaust was making me crazy, the throttle cable/pedal was well you know. I did shift gears today and did some powder coating. let me know what you think. The color is black chrome, the valve covers have raised ribs,after powder applied I took my finger and removed the powder on the rib. It took 2 applications of the powder to get it right. The top of the air cleaner was done also, its in the last pic.valve covers before.jpgvalve covers after powder applied.jpgvalve covers completed.jpg
    Blueprint uses a March setup. Give them a call and they can tell you the numbers I expect or maybe sell you the setup at a discount. I have the engine set back 1/2 inch at the engine mounts. I'm using a Blueprint 383 with the TKO as well. I used the Flowtech Headers 11102FLT headers. Drivers side fits fine, passenger side requires you to use the 4 bolt flange spacer between the downpipe and the pipe going into the muffler. After I added that spacer, all was good.

With the engine set back 1/2in, I ground the passenger side mount for the Rack a bit for clearance.

Check out my build page for pictures...
    - Peterh226 #1134

Post Thanks / Like
    got the a/c alt drive system from Speedway. super easy to install, only thing I don't care for the a/c fittings are a little more outboard than i wanted. The radiator went together without difficulty,so glad, I didn't need any problems today. The lower radiator hose was easy also. First thing I did was not use the manual, it sometimes makes simple too complicated. drive system.jpgradiator install.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    which heater hose port do you guys use. I have one port on the side of the water pump, heater hose attached, do I use the one on top of the pump or the one on the manifold? heater hose.jpgheater hose port water pump.jpgheater hose port manifold.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    which heater hose port do you guys use. I have one port on the side of the water pump, heater hose attached, do I use the one on top of the pump or the one on the manifold? heater hose.jpgheater hose port water pump.jpgheater hose port manifold.jpg
    I had the same questions and after looking around determined the one in the manifold is the one to use. Blueprint included a fitting (straight) but I ended up getting a90 to keep the hose lower in the engine compartment.
    - Peterh226 #1134

Post Thanks / Like
    Working on electrical stuff. My a/c compressor only had one wire, any idea where it connects? All the wires on the trinary switch are accounted for but one. Thoughts??

Post Thanks / Like
    Where did you get the ceramic Flowtechs?

Thanks,

Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Working on electrical stuff. My a/c compressor only had one wire, any idea where it connects? All the wires on the trinary switch are accounted for but one. Thoughts??
    The heater/AC control panel has a wire that will control the AC compressor.
    Not sure which control panel you have, it should show on the schematic.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shmelty View Post
    Where did you get the ceramic Flowtechs?

Thanks,

Sean
    You can ship them off to Jet Hot if you don’t have a local supplier. They quoted me $300 for the basic coating.
    - Peterh226 #1134

22. Thanks shmelty thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The ceramic flowtech headers are from summit

24. Likes shmelty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hit a bench mark today. First start. Wasn't without challenges though. I had the water pump gaskets switched, Puked antifreeze, my catch pan wouldn't fit under the car. All that was left was to laugh then get it fixed. I had the starter mounted in the wrong holes, too far inboard. 5 minutes later, all better. After start, tiny leak at water temp sender and at one of the carb fuel line fittings. I read somewhere that the oil press gauge requires the sender it(gauge) came with. My gauge read pegged to the right with battery power, no indication at all on start. So in goes the huge ugly sender, tomorrow. https://youtu.be/mmiBNBnufqs
    Last edited by Blade; 01-05-2020 at 06:37 PM. Reason: added video

26. Likes shmelty, TxMike64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great work!
    33 Hot Rod #1133. LS/TKO600
    Delivered 6-17-19. Started work 7-3-19. First start 9-6-19. First drive 9-24-19
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been working on the 33 a little most days. Got the headlights mounted and wired. The trunk alum. riveted in. and the trans tunnel cut and mounted. Chasing the wiring harness through the holes was challenging. trans tunnel LT.jpgtrans tunnel rt.jpgtrunk metal.jpg I think tomorrow, I will get some help and fit the body.

29. Likes JOP33, theidlemind liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was working on finding out why my fuel gauge won't work. My fuel pick up/sender is a 16ohm by 158. It seems after much testing that the auto meter gauge is of another ohm range. I searched past posts and found one from years ago,it stated much the same thing. I will contact FFR monday and get their take. Did this occur with anyone else?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a strange range for the sender, is it something you picked up or is it supposedly the standard FFR tank & sender? I got a Boyd tank and the only sender available from them was 0-90 so I had to pick up a different Autometer gauge for it. If for some reason you need the standard FFR supplied American Platinum fuel gauge I have one... good luck
    Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Stock tank and sender from FFR. 16 to 158 ohms is apparently for specific year Ford's

Post Thanks / Like
    Well progress has been made. I haven't posted in a while. Had some challenges with the body. but it's mounted. Working on doors next. A/c works well, no leaks. I was concerned because I did the hoses myself. Routing all those hoses on the passenger side took some doing. body 1.jpgbody 2.jpgbody 3.jpgdash first try.jpg

34. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    first fit of drivers door. Door was 3/16 to 1/4 inch too big. Lots of sanding and it's in the hole. drivers door.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blade, looking good! I went to school over the door mounting procedures. After you fit the door to the opening you want to put the four small screws in the interior hinge as this sets the height of the door. There is no other adjustment (up or down). You also need to remove the 2 upper panels that you have installed in the trunk aluminum as those are access holes to mark where the trunk hinge will go. Keep posting and be patient with the body work as it can be difficult. Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    or if you don't want to remove those panels in your trunk, have a look at my build thread and see how I got around that.... (I did the same thing and installed them too soon)
    Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104

Post Thanks / Like
    It would be hard to offend! Looks pretty good. I like the grey, what color are you going to use on the car?

Roger

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep ...too right. I did install the trunk panels too soon. FF33rod I saw your method for trunk hinges. I like it. The Car color as it stands right now will be Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 Red Hot. worked on this today since the sun came out.dash nearly complete.jpgriv nuts for plastic and fiberglass.jpgriv nut tool modified.jpgair sander.jpg Naz was the one I remembered talking about Mcmaster-Carr. They make rivnuts designed for plastics and fiberglass. A great product. Locked down on the fiberglass like crazy. Did have to modify the riv tool wasn't long enough. The angled air sander with drums is my new friend.

40. Thanks McGuyver thanked for this post
    Likes shmelty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lookin good, +1 on the sanding drums and the McMaster-Carr rivnuts. I got tired of trying to fiddle around with the FFR rivnut tool. Threads started to strip, ended up springing for a Astro Pneumatic manual one that is much easier to use. In fact, I have to be careful not to put too much force on it now or the rivnut will split the fiberglass
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104

Post Thanks / Like
    Pneumatic rivnut tool???Rich people!

Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    Lookin good, +1 on the sanding drums and the McMaster-Carr rivnuts. I got tired of trying to fiddle around with the FFR rivnut tool. Threads started to strip, ended up springing for a Astro Pneumatic manual one that is much easier to use. In fact, I have to be careful not to put too much force on it now or the rivnut will split the fiberglass
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Post Thanks / Like
    Never seen a pneumatic rivnut tool. Ditched the supplied tool as it was too complicated. I used a homemade one that Brave Salmon described on this forum. It works perfectly just used a body bolt with the built on washer. Was amazed how simple, easy and well it worked! Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    The company name is Astro Pneumatic you doofusses, it isn't a pneumatic tool. LOL
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep ...too right. I did install the trunk panels too soon. FF33rod I saw your method for trunk hinges. I like it. The Car color as it stands right now will be Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 Red Hot. worked on this today since the sun came out.dash nearly complete.jpgriv nuts for plastic and fiberglass.jpgriv nut tool modified.jpgair sander.jpg Naz was the one I remembered talking about Mcmaster-Carr. They make rivnuts designed for plastics and fiberglass. A great product. Locked down on the fiberglass like crazy. Did have to modify the riv tool wasn't long enough. The angled air sander with drums is my new friend.
    Nice looking dash Blade! Is that carbon fiber or a wrap? I was planning to try a wrap first but also considered hydro-dip.
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson
    Sportsman S/R 26x8x18 front and 29x18x20 rear tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a wrap. VViViD+ Premium Black Carbon Fiber Vinyl Wrap Film (1ft x 5ft) With a little heat it went on pretty good. I think hydro dip is the bomb. I opted for this wrap first, If it didn't work out I could pull it and try something else. I have the Astro rivnut tool, didn't have the 10-32 bit for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    https://youtu.be/R2ioDIL-emc thought I would post a little update video. passenger door first cut.jpg the passenger door is at least 1/2inch too big. Work in progress.

48. Likes FF33rod, JOP33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job! Looks great and sounds great!
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

50. Thanks Blade thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great. Love the tire and wheel combo.
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast