Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  24
Likes Likes:  142
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Terry in Las Vegas Build - 15,000 miles, standard ratio R-P installed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    Did you punch the holes in the Kirkey or are they coming that way now? Build is coming together nicely, btw.
    -Steve
    Thanks Steve. That is how the seats came from Kirkey. I haven't modified them at all.
    MK IV Build #9659, 3 link, 17's, Forte 347, Sniper EFI, power steering, built for a freak sized person with 17" Kirkey Vintage seats, RT drop trunk, RT turn signal, lots of stuff from Breeze Automotive, Wilwood brakes, paint by Jeff Miller

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bobm488 View Post
    Looks like you will be go carting by Thanksgiving. Any word on when Mike will be shipping you motor? Mine took two weeks to get to Ca.
    I hope so. But some POL items will hold me up. I'm still waiting for my fuel pressure regulator, EFI lines, and coolant expansion tank from F5. I'm starting to get a little frustrated. I can order all of these parts from Summit and have them at my house in 2 days. It has been almost 3 months since our completion date

I have not called Mike to get an update for a while. I hate to bug the guy. The last time I talked to him, the block arrived at his shop and he was going to start the build on the following Mon which was two weeks ago. He originally told me about 6 weeks from the order date. I think we are about 4 or 5 weeks in now. So, hopefully it will be pretty soon.

Did your delivery guy bring the crate from the truck into your garage?
    Last edited by TMartinLVNV; 10-18-2019 at 10:22 AM.
    MK IV Build #9659, 3 link, 17's, Forte 347, Sniper EFI, power steering, built for a freak sized person with 17" Kirkey Vintage seats, RT drop trunk, RT turn signal, lots of stuff from Breeze Automotive, Wilwood brakes, paint by Jeff Miller

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TMartinLVNV View Post
    I hope so. But some POL items will hold me up. I'm still waiting for my fuel pressure regulator, EFI lines, and coolant expansion tank from F5. I'm starting to get a little frustrated. I can order all of these parts from Summit and have them at my house in 2 days. It has been almost 3 months since our completion date

I have not called Mike to get an update for a while. I hate to bug the guy. The last time I talked to him, the block arrived at his shop and he was going to start the build on the following Mon which was two weeks ago. He originally told me about 6 weeks from the order date. I think we are about 4 or 5 weeks in now. So, hopefully it will be pretty soon.

Did your delivery guy bring the crate from the truck into your garage?
    Yes he used his pallet jack. It took three of us to push it up the driveway, and it’s not steep, 950#. He used the jack to get the pallet on top of two furniture dolly’s.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just used a dolly for mine up a steep driveway.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have done very little lately. I contacted F5 about some of my POL items. They responded very quickly and got a few of them that I really need (EFI regulator and fuel lines) of them on the way. Apparently the coolant over flow tank is what was holding things up and they are expecting them to arrive at their shop soon. Thanks F5!

I also contacted Forte about the progress of my motor. Things are moving along fine and Mike sent me a sneak peek of it. He said that mine is next to go on the dyno!

I also had Mike trim the lower portion of the Quicktime bell housing after reading about it hanging lower than the frame. Special thanks for Mark Eaton for documenting this process!

Terry

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing but good things to say about Mike Forte. It will be worth the wait. Old school vendor who exceeds expectations and offers fantastic customer support.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

7. Likes MSumners liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This morning I did the Herculiner undercoating. I put on two coats over everything and 4 in the wheel wells.
    Prep Work:

First Coat:

Final Coat:

For $80 (one gallon of Herculiner and a mixer), I am happy with the results.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm looking for some things to do while the motor is being finished by Forte.

Trunk latch and plate mount:

Hood hinge assembly:

I was thinking about cutting the hole in the hood for the scoop. Should this be done by the painter/body work guy? Also, should I wait to mount the hood latches/locks until it is on the car? I plan on driving in gelcoat for a bit if that matters.

Terry
    Last edited by TMartinLVNV; 10-30-2019 at 12:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job on the bed liner, looks professional . . .

If Miller is doing your paint right away, let him do the scoop. If you are planing on driving in gel coat for a bit, and want that look, go ahead and mount it. I don't need to tell you that the hood is not symmetric with the body and you need to measure very carefully if you want it centered - a chalk line is your best friend.

I'd get the hinges mounted but not fine adjusted until you have the body set on the frame and centered - the hood centers to the opening but the body could be off to one side or the other until final install.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Blocker View Post
    Nice job on the bed liner, looks professional . . .

If Miller is doing your paint right away, let him do the scoop. If you are planing on driving in gel coat for a bit, and want that look, go ahead and mount it. I don't need to tell you that the hood is not symmetric with the body and you need to measure very carefully if you want it centered - a chalk line is your best friend.

I'd get the hinges mounted but not fine adjusted until you have the body set on the frame and centered - the hood centers to the opening but the body could be off to one side or the other until final install.

Doc
    Thanks Doc. My back is killing me now though. I can't work on my knees for very long so I did it mostly standing up. My garage really stinks right now. I hope the U-Haul police don't see my post and cite me for unauthorized use of their blankets.

Hmm, my plan is for paint to happen next fall. I'm thinking that if I want is perfectly centered maybe I should just let them do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    F5 sent my EFI fuel lines and regulator earlier this week, so today I installed them. It was a pretty easy job. I would have liked to run the lines along the right side frame. But the F5 EFI instructions say to run them in the trans tunnel. Plus, they would have been way too short to run them along the frame.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm still in a holding pattern until my motor arrives. I decided to do the door latch modifications today. Special thanks to Carl as I followed his write up of how to do this. His instructions are here on post #187:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...00-miles/page5

Before

Bolt to back side of knob:

Carriage bolt ground down:

All finished up and ready to reassemble with blue Loctite on the screws:

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a teaser photo from Forte. My motor on the dyno. I'm eagerly awaiting the results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Too bad it wasn’t a video with sound. My motor took two weeks to get from Forte to Ca.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TMartinLVNV View Post
    I'm still in a holding pattern until my motor arrives. I decided to do the door latch modifications today. Special thanks to Carl as I followed his write up of how to do this. His instructions are here on post #187:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post346030

Before

Bolt to back side of knob:

Carriage bolt ground down:

All finished up and ready to reassemble with blue Loctite on the screws:
    Well I'm glad I was able to help in some little way...

FYI, if in the future you want to reference a specific post, you can right click over the actual post number and it will give a link directly to that post rather than just the page...

Your build is coming right along and it is great to see you finding other little things you can get done while waiting on parts....

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    I am still waiting on my motor. It has been quite some time and I still don't have a shipping date. I'm trying my best to be patient. To get ready for it, I've been doing some research with the Holley Sniper EFI. They recommend 3/8" fuel lines both send and receive. The F5 EFI "upgrade" is definitely not up to this task. It was an option that I wish I had not purchased. The only part that I am now using is the fuel pump. The rest is wasted money. I would have been far better off just piecing the fuel system together on my own. Anyway. Here are some comparison photos of the F5 EFI hanger and a true upgrade.

I pulled out all of the fuel lines and replaced them with true stainless braided 3/8" line. I also removed the regulator since the Holley Sniper takes care of this on its own. I also ordered the kit from Whitby Motors to fill in the area between the dash and the trans tunnel. I put in the vents, Autometer clock, and the seat heater switches. I had to extend the switch wires to reach all the way up here. It is just loosely sitting in place now since it cannot be installed until after the trans tunnel is in place. Does anyone have a source for the dash covering vinyl? I do not see any on the F5 website.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe I still have the dash vinyl and I won’t be using it. I’ll check over the weekend and if I find it I’ll be happy to send it your way.
    Coupe Kit Delivered 11/10/23

Roadster Build thread: 2019-2022 https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...4-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MSumners View Post
    I believe I still have the dash vinyl and I won’t be using it. I’ll check over the weekend and if I find it I’ll be happy to send it your way.
    Wow, that would be awesome if you still have it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also have an unused dash vinyl. Let me know if you want it.
    MKIV #9542 Complete Kit, Coyote, IRS - Delivered - 2/19/19, First start - 9/8/19, Go Cart - 9/14/19
    1965 Mustang Convertible 4v 289
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzzz View Post
    I also have an unused dash vinyl. Let me know if you want it.
    Sure thing Cruzzz! That sounds great. I love this forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Terry,

If your more than generous suppliers don't come thru, any of the larger boat shops on Lake Mead Dr or any auto upholstery shop in town should be able to fill your vinyl order. As a last resort, most of the fabric shops can get you industrial grade vinyl but there might be a waiting period since they don't usually deal in automotive stuff. There are also suppliers on-line . . .

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Terry - just read through your whole build thread - awesome job! Can't believe how fast you're moving! I think it took two years for me to complete my build.

I'd love to come over and check out your build - I just recently moved to Las Vegas from Washington state and would like to meet up with the local factory five owners. Jack is close to me, but we haven't met up just yet. What part of town do you live in? I'm up in the NW in Centennial Hills. Maybe we can meet up after Thanksgiving? Feel free to PM me, rather than hijack your build thread. Perhaps schedule a breakfast for all the F5 owners?

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the dyno sheet for my motor. Holy torque monster Batman! I'm impressed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard View Post
    Hi Terry - just read through your whole build thread - awesome job! Can't believe how fast you're moving! I think it took two years for me to complete my build.

I'd love to come over and check out your build - I just recently moved to Las Vegas from Washington state and would like to meet up with the local factory five owners. Jack is close to me, but we haven't met up just yet. What part of town do you live in? I'm up in the NW in Centennial Hills. Maybe we can meet up after Thanksgiving? Feel free to PM me, rather than hijack your build thread. Perhaps schedule a breakfast for all the F5 owners?
    Hey Howard. I've met with Jack several times and a few others here. We have everything from fully completed builds with a lot of miles to people who are waiting for the big blue and red truck to deliver their 25th anniversary kit. Several of the guys meet every Sat morning at 700 in the morning at Twin Peaks on S. Eastern. I get there everyone once in a while.

Terry

Post Thanks / Like
    Motor and trans have shipped! Can you guys in the NE please get the weather cleared up so that mother nature does not slow down the delivery truck?

Post Thanks / Like
    Terry,

Weather is beautiful up here in the NE. It’s 49 and sunny here and has yet to snow so there should be no delays in shipping. I know it’s not Vegas weather which by the way I have been enjoying as I have a new client there I see every month. My other client is in Key West so I am lucky.

You won’t go wrong with the 347 from Mike.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I checked everywhere and couldn’t find the vinyl. I think what happened was that they accidentally sent me the blank dash but didn’t see any vinyl with it.
    Engine looks great!

Roadster Build thread: 2019-2022 https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...4-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mike. I really appreciate your offer and looking for the cover. Cruzzz had one as well and has shipped it to me. I'm almost done covering my center console with the clock, air vents, and heater switches installed.

According to the tracker. My motor is now in New Mexico. 2/3rds the way here from Framington Mass.!

Post Thanks / Like
    Engine arrived today. I took lots of pictures as I undressed her. Oops, I meant unwrapped.

I didn't think anything of it at the time the crate was put in my garage, but why is the middle sagging like that?

Hmm, why is the top of the crate broken off? Looks like the shipping gorillas dropped something on it so hard that it broke the crate. Hope the motor is not damaged.

Post Thanks / Like
    Air cleaner does not look quite right.

This doesn't look good either.

Doh! No bueno!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rest of the motor looks good. Mostly

Tailshaft not cut like it is supposed to be.

I have an email to Forte and am sure he will make it right. I was planning on doing the engine install next Fri. I don't think this will prevent that, but it is frustrating.
    Last edited by TMartinLVNV; 12-14-2019 at 11:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    So in and running by Sunday?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bobm488 View Post
    So in and running by Sunday?
    Ha! In next Fri. Running...A few weeks away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are the F5 supplied motor mounts after being modified by Forte's shop to fit the Dart block. I thought he was just going to grind on them a bit to make some clearance room. He did quite a bit more than that. I'm impressed!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ouch. Shipping company said nothing?
    My crate was beat up really good as well but didn’t sustain any similar damage. Hope it gets sorted quick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did a bit of work today. Pulled the top of the air cleaner off to survey the damage.

Post Thanks / Like
    I asked Forte to trim the Quicktime bell housing. I don't have anything to compare to. Does this look like it will work and not sit lower than the frame? I think they did a very nice clean cut.

Last edited by TMartinLVNV; 12-15-2019 at 11:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I vacuumed out the debris in the throttle body.

Also, since the tranny tailshaft was not was not cut down, I took care of that myself too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good Terry. Bellhousing looks right as well. Seems like a new air cleaner and stud is in order and you'll be back in business! Glad the damage was minor.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    I would check the movement of the throttle shafts, before giving that throttle body a clean bill of health.
    good luck,
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

42. Thanks TMartinLVNV thanked for this post
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast