FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: IRS hub cleaning

Post Thanks / Like

IRS hub cleaning

Hello,

After 6 years of owning my kit I am about to start prepping parts. I have a set of T-bird irs hubs and would like to know the best way to prep them. I would like to degrease, clean and coat with a KBS clear product.

I remember seeing a few posts in one of the two forums, but I cannot remember the title or OP. I have searched with not much success.

Attached is what I have, would appreciate forum recommendations. If blasting, what is best media to use.

Thank in advance.

Achi
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mark IV FFR 7993 picked up March 30, 2013
    Pin drive IRS, 390FE, Smiths gauges. going to be a long slow build.

Post Thanks / Like
    First thing I'd do is remove all those bushings. Get some new poly bushings that will be worry and flex free. Next remove the allen bolts. You won't need the backing plates at all.

I cleaned mine in a bead blaster cabinet (you may want to clean as much grease and loose crap off first). Keep away or mask off the inner bearing area as it's not needed to blast. Once done I cleaned them up good with brakleen or other cleaner, blow dry good, sprayed with Eastwood Alumiblast paint and then clear coated.

Press in new bearings and bushings and you're set. I do have some pictures on my website.
    I'm just a victim of a thousand physic wars!
    www.weendoggy.com/cobra.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, you don't use the old bushings or bolts. Degrease them with what ever you have, then the hottest soap and water you have. Bead blast them, not sand blast. Then finish as you like, paint or clear coat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys,

I have the Energy Suspension poly bushings, bearings, and new hubs. The pic is exactly how I left them 5 years ago when I put them in storage. I am so looking forward to starting this, it has been way too long. It is going to be fun working with the parts rather than storing them.

Thanks for your recommendations, I will check out your site. Will post finished product.

Cheers,
    Achi
    Mark IV FFR 7993 picked up March 30, 2013
    Pin drive IRS, 390FE, Smiths gauges. going to be a long slow build.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wire wheeled them with a drill, degreased, and applied some Shark Hide. I replaced the bushings with new OEM ones.Rear Spindle.JPG
    MKIV #8740, Canadian base kit, Picked up Dec. 2015, ‘98 Cobra 4.6 l DOHC, T45 transmission, old style IRS, Art Cuesta dieted harness/Ron Francis chassis harness, go-cart July 2018.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bead blast them and make sure new beads are used. This gives a really nice OEM type finish that can be left as is if you want. Or cleared. If the beads are re-used they become more like sand blasting. That finish is like about 100-150 grit sand paper and seems to attract things like finger prints so it has to be painted or cleared.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Start by soaking in hot water and Simple Green. There are stronger degreasers available, but they can be caustic to the machined surfaces. Scrub with Brillo. After they look clean, bake them in the oven at about 150-200* for an hour or so. That helps bring additional grease and oil to the surface so you can clean them again with Brillo and hot water.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com