Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Idea for a MkIV build

Post Thanks / Like

Idea for a MkIV build

Greeting all,

I've been saving parts for my 1992 Fox Mustang coupe build for about 9yrs. I'm finally ready this month to really make some headway with this project. The Mustang project has not been my only hobby, plus it seemed many areas couldn't just be worked on $100 at a time. A friend of mine that owns a machine shop built my engine over about 8yrs, as I got money and he had open time. My 550hp 408W is a work of art, and can't wait to hear it fire up soon. With this much power I decided to keep the AOD automatic transmission, as small light cars with big HP can get out of control in a hurry! I had the AOD completely rebuilt using the best parts that can be put into an AOD, along with a Stallion torque converter. I have many parts in boxes inside the trunk and closets. I will probably have over $20k invested in my Mustang build. Here's where my idea starts..........

If I get everything sorted out in the Mustang, it should be super easy to transfer it all to a FFR MkIV. The only part I've bought that I may consider changing, would be to a TKO600 transmission but not 100% I'd change the transmission. Many of the builds I see on the forum and YouTube, show people building with all new parts/engines/transmissions which makes for a very expensive car when completed and not everyone has the deep pockets for that. For example, I have $10k invest in my 408W/ $3k invest in the transmission and torque converter/ $1k invested in suspension/ and much more invested in electronics/cooling/brakes/etc. 99% of all the items purchased for the Mustang build could complete a Cobra.

The 5.0 Mustang coupe was one of my favorite cars as a kid, but I've always thought a Cobra was the best looking car ever created. I should have my Mustang project completed for driving by this time next summer, but I'm already planning the possible future home for all the components. My Foxbody Mustang has less than 60k miles, and all the parts im adding to it are brand new. I've spoke with a few individuals that have built these FFR cars, and they have said they probably wouldn't do the donor car route again. The reason giving is too much time/expense reconditioning old parts, the MkI-II car probably was ok for a donor as the donor cars were not very old back then. A Foxbody Mustang is now almost 30+yrs old and probably needs alot of rebuilding/servicing at this point.

To sum up my very 1st post in this forum, I'd probably go with the base MkIV kit as I'd use many of my takeoff parts which a virtually brand new. If I was to sell my Foxbody Mustang after I completed it, I'd probably be lucky to get 1/2 of what I invested (maybe $10k?). Then I'd be starting from scratch with the base kit. I'm sure the parts that I would have left over would have some value in the Mustang community and all the expensive parts would stay now be used in my Cobra. As being a new member to this forum, I'd appreciate any helpful comments or suggestions from the people on this forum that have already gone thru a build.

I live in the metro Detroit area, and am looking forward to going to the Woodward cruise next Saturday to checkout and talk to actual FFR owners at Cobra Alley. Thanks for reading, and hope to have many productive discussion with the members of this forum.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing wrong with a donor build. The challenge is finding a solid donor that doesn’t have some surprise that cost more time/effort/money than budgeted for. Not the case with you since you have a great donor. The other thing you have going for you is time. Since you are not planning to start this right away, keep your eye out for a project that someone is abandoning. Go for it.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 996r916sps View Post
    I live in the metro Detroit area, and am looking forward to going to the Woodward cruise next Saturday to checkout and talk to actual FFR owners at Cobra Alley. Thanks for reading, and hope to have many productive discussion with the members of this forum.
    Welcome to the forum. I'm assuming you're talking about the Great Lakes Cobra Club. We'll be in the Comerica Bank parking lot, 36440 Woodward Ave, Bloomfield Hills. Not in downtown Birmingham as of a couple years ago. Maybe you knew that already, but just confirming. As of now, 58 cars (mostly Cobra's) and 100+ club members are signed up. So a great turnout. There are a number of Factory Fives and we'd be happy to talk to you. I'll be there with my #8674 20th Anniversary Roadster. Build thread and video in sig line below. The video even has some clips from last year's event.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Make The Trip To Meet Edwardb!

Edwardb (aka: Paul) is in my opinion The Best Master Hobbyist / Award Winning Builder who knows these cars better than 99% of the rest of us.

https://youtu.be/gCBLH-mr7ME

You'll learn a lot from this fellow who does it better than anybody else who isn't building these cars professionally so make the trek for sure.

Don't Miss This Opportunity
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 08-09-2019 at 06:39 PM.

5. Thanks edwardb thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am a "don't do a donor build these days" guy. But, there are always exceptions. You already own the donor and know the condition of everything.
    Mostly it is based on the fact that Fox bodies are either high mileage and everything you want to use is worn out. Or they are now a classic and cost too much to part out.

You should be able to get good money for a clean Fox roller.