This morning I started working on fitting the driver's side door. Needless to say I am getting pretty frustrated with it so thought I would come here for advice before I do anything dumb and screw it up. I took off what I felt was just enough material to get the door hung so that it doesn't scrape on the body. The gaps are all over the place but I don't want to take any more off and I hope the painter can clean it up. I hung the door on the hinge with just two nuts so far and I adjusted the hinge on the inside to tilt the door in a little at the top which was needed to draw the top-left part of the door in flush with the body. I then adjusted the bottom of the body to where it was fairly flush and put in a single self-tapper to hold it. I then moved to the rear of the door and this is where it gets pretty wonky.

First, here is a picture looking down from the top of the door to where it meets the body. You can see I have a pretty significant gap towards the rear of the door. I haven't yet tried to pull the body away from the frame at this point. I assume I can move it enough to correct this, but most likely will screw up the front.

Here is what it looks like at the top at this point. It looks pretty well aligned to me, but I can push it in about another 3/8" if I need to.

This is where I decided to come here for advice. I put the striker into the latch and tried to align it to the door. As you can see the side of the latch closest to the striker is kicking up with the door aligned like this.

If I push the top of the door in all the way, the door latch sits fairly flush on the door, but now look at how the top of the door aligns with the body.

Also it appears that once I put washers on the striker and tighten it down it is going to kick out and away from the latch. It seems like I may need to try to bend the striker in so that it is parallel to the latch and maybe elongate the slot a bit so that it sits properly once tightened down. Is this common and am I on the right track, or is there something else I should try?

Thanks,
David