Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: #324 first start today!

Post Thanks / Like

#324 first start today!

Got it fired up for the first time today. Been working on it about 4 months so far.
    Everything went fine but a couple minor problems. I have a 347 crate with sniper efi and full hyperspark ignition system. I'm very impressed with how well it ran right off the bat. It had excellent throttle response and idle immediately.
    Only had a couple small problems.
    1. The temp gauge immediately pegged. I suspect a bad ground?
    2. The oil temp read 100 psi which seems pretty high to me. I'm thinking maybe wrong sending unit? Does anybody know which one is best for autometer ultra lite gauges?
    3. I thought I had the fan all wired up correctly but it never came on. I shut it down before I had any overheating problems. I'm letting the EFI control the fan and have the light blue hooked up to the ground on the fan. Back at the harness, I have the orange fan wired u to the brown feed wire so it's constant hot. This is in lieu of having a toggle on the dash. Figure I'll test the power to it since the holley controls the negative ground wire.

2. Likes AJT '33 liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations Mr. T!

.Getting to this point is a great accomplishment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Congratulations Mr. T!

.Getting to this point is a great accomplishment.
    thanks GoDadGo. My dad is off camera cheering and it made for an awesome day!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Got it fired up for the first time today. Been working on it about 4 months so far.
    Everything went fine but a couple minor problems. I have a 347 crate with sniper efi and full hyperspark ignition system. I'm very impressed with how well it ran right off the bat. It had excellent throttle response and idle immediately.
    Only had a couple small problems.
    1. The temp gauge immediately pegged. I suspect a bad ground?
    2. The oil temp read 100 psi which seems pretty high to me. I'm thinking maybe wrong sending unit? Does anybody know which one is best for autometer ultra lite gauges?
    3. I thought I had the fan all wired up correctly but it never came on. I shut it down before I had any overheating problems. I'm letting the EFI control the fan and have the light blue hooked up to the ground on the fan. Back at the harness, I have the orange fan wired u to the brown feed wire so it's constant hot. This is in lieu of having a toggle on the dash. Figure I'll test the power to it since the holley controls the negative ground wire.
    I don't know if this will help or hinder you in your efforts as I also have the Holley Sniper EFI and below are a list of questions that I had for them as well along with their response and suggested relay set-up for the AC Shut Down (not sure you are running AC). As of right now on my build, getting the fan to engage has still been an issue and my plan is to have the shop that is doing the final fab and paint do a final inspection to see what I may have missed.

Questions_to_Holley.png

Response_from_Holley.png

AC_Relay_Schematic_from_Holley.png
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    The fan output from the sniper is a ground as you mentioned but it cant handle the high current of the fan so it must be used in conjunction with a relay. I used it in place of the thermal switch that is placed in the bottom of the radiator in the FFR instructions
    Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    The fan output from the sniper is a ground as you mentioned but it cant handle the high current of the fan so it must be used in conjunction with a relay. I used it in place of the thermal switch that is placed in the bottom of the radiator in the FFR instructions
    Steve
    The fan hums like it's getting juice. So I need a ground trigger relay. Not sure what that is. I'm used to regular relays with positive trigger

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have a positive trigger, you ground the other side of the relay to complete the circuit.
    If you have a negative trigger, you put +12 on the other side of the relay to complete the circuit.
    What you are powering with the relay would stay the same.
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

Post Thanks / Like
    Simplest thing, meaning fewest changes and no added relays, is to put the fan wiring back the way the manual says. Take the wire that is intended to go to the fan thermo switch in the radiator (dark green in the front harness) and connect that to the sniper. Youre done. Dont need the thermo switch. This approach changes the ground trigger for the fan relay from the thermoswitch to the sniper
    Last edited by FF33rod; 08-11-2019 at 11:09 AM.
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition