Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Gen 3 Coyote pull out wiring

Post Thanks / Like

Gen 3 Coyote pull out wiring

building a cobra mk4 kit. I just bought a pull out gen 3 Coyote from a 2018 gt.
    My question is can I use this wiring instead of buying a control pack. Sorry if there is a thread on this already couldn't find it

Post Thanks / Like
    TB - I also have a Gen3 Coyote (mine pulled from a wrecked 2019 Mustang). I have all the wiring harnesses and even the PCM, but despite that, I think I still need to buy the Ford Racing Control Pack. The Mustang PCM is designed to work as a system with MANY other modules which will not be present on a FFR. I’m still holding off on buying the control pack for now because there is a slim chance that this Mustang PCM can be “re-flashed” to remove the security stuff and allow me to use it, but finding information on this or someone to do it has been like trying to squeeze blood from a turnip.

The easy button is to buy the control pack, but if you’re like me and want to use the donor harness/PCM, by all means forge onward! Just be sure to pop back in here on the forum and let us know how you did it!!
    Logan's Gen 3 Coupe-R Build
    Ordered 4/23/19 | Delivered 6/29/19 | First Start 8/1/20 | First Drive 9/20/20

Post Thanks / Like
    Can it be done? Absolutely. My car has a donor harness. But.... it's a nightmare. As said above, it's designed to work with other sensors and modules that you are not using. And the harness doesn't fit the chassis well, so some changes need to be done. I had to hire that part out to someone smarter than me.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree with the above statements. Easiest path is to buy the control pack. But just to add to what's been posted already, it's not just about modules and security. One of the major differences between the OE Coyote installation and the crate installation is the fuel pump. A Mustang uses a variable pressure returnless setup controlled by the PCM. Unless you install that specific pump, which I don't know anything about including whether the standard Fox body Mustang tank would still work, the PCM would need that part changed as well. The crate motor PCM uses a return style setup with an uncontrolled (e.g. always running) fuel pump.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    The engine harness should be kept and used. I bought a 2017 GT donor and Ford Performance said the engine/transmission harness from the donor is the same as would be used with a crate motor. The controls pack provides the harness required to tie the pieces together. For the rest of the car, an aftermarket harness would be used for the rest. In my case the car is a 1970 Mustang restomod and I am using an American Autowire harness for the body to be tied in with the engine and controls pack wiring. Added to that will be the use of Dakota Digital gauges and their required sensors and wiring. I expect my wiring will be a bit more complicated than that of the roaster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan_C View Post
    The engine harness should be kept and used. I bought a 2017 GT donor and Ford Performance said the engine/transmission harness from the donor is the same as would be used with a crate motor. The controls pack provides the harness required to tie the pieces together. For the rest of the car, an aftermarket harness would be used for the rest. In my case the car is a 1970 Mustang restomod and I am using an American Autowire harness for the body to be tied in with the engine and controls pack wiring. Added to that will be the use of Dakota Digital gauges and their required sensors and wiring. I expect my wiring will be a bit more complicated than that of the roaster.
    Agree, whether a crate motor or a pull-out, the engine harness is used. When you buy the crate motor, it's a 100% untouched production motor, with the exact harness wrapped around it for a Mustang GT with manual transmission and is left as is. So maybe the more clear question is should a donor chassis harness be kept and used. This is where the crate motor controls pack provided harness comes in. It replaces what would be the chassis harness, and is specific to the crate motor, hooking all the components together for that purpose alone: PCM, power distribution, accelerator pedal, clutch switch, starter, fuel pump, cooling fan, O2 sensors, ODB2 port, MIL and the connections to the vehicle's chassis harness for start and run voltages. I think that's it. That combined with a PCM calibration for the standalone crate motor. Could the donor chassis harness be modified to do the same thing? Probably. Some have tried. Some successfully, some not. I'll say this as respectfully as possible: Only should be attempted by those who have the knowledge and aptitude for it. Wiring is routinely cited by many builders as the most difficult part of the build. Many unfortunately struggle even when things are relatively straightforward and requires mainly just reading and following instructions. Wading through a full chassis harness, with basically no instructions except perhaps a schematic, is not something that kind of builder should attempt. The Coyote control pack, on the other hand, is basically plug and play. Strictly my opinion FWIW.
    Last edited by edwardb; 11-02-2019 at 11:36 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Power by the hour has tons of info on coyote swaps and might be able to help you some.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, does anyone have a useless engine harness? I need a single connector which broke.

Post Thanks / Like
    We have only used swapped coyotes and have had very good success. We don't use the Ford ECU but instead use ECU master. The primary reason is that this controller gives us traction control and drive modes. It is a bit of work and there are always trade offs. I'm not an ECU guy but it is my understanding that the Ford mustang can have the security stuff, airbags, etc disabled. If you talk to your local tuner they should be able to help. If you would like to consider a different ECU, please feel free to reach out to us. Can you tell me what connector you broke. We may have an extra or I may be able to tell you where you can find it.
    Chris