Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Type 65 front tubular control arms

Post Thanks / Like

Question Type 65 front tubular control arms

Hi all, I am new to FF and this forum. I have installed some of my first components and am looking to see if I have the driver and pass side control arms correct. The instructions seem to show conflicting pictures and when looking around I have seen different orientations of the ball joints in some forum pics too. So before going further I figured I would ask around.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Both look good. Ball joint should be leaning towards the outside of the car.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed, looks fine. Curious what conflicting pictures you're seeing in the build manual. The pictures you're seeing in some build threads is occasionally guys install the ball joints pointing in instead of out, e.g. the UCA needs to be flipped over. A pretty common mistake unfortunately. The manual shows it correctly.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you...so some people do put the ball joints in differently for other applications. That explains why I saw some examples on line with the ball joints angled the other way. Much appreciated.todd

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for helping verify that I am not screwing up yet. The other images I saw online now make sense with your input. Looking at different sides/ views in the manual of the control arm setup must have been what was causing me to second guess things as I flipped things around mentally. Manual is good. My bad. I did once install a sway bar upside down so I figured asking some more questions experienced builders could not hurt to prevent a similar mess up. Thanks much!todd

Post Thanks / Like
    If its a complete kit. looks right, if using donor spindles the arms mount on top with spacers sandwiched underneath