Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 96 as a donor?

Post Thanks / Like

96 as a donor?

I’m wondering... other than the engine and trans, are the 96 4.6 mustangs the same as the 94-95 with the 5.0? Rear end, spindles, etc?
    Thanks!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    When using SN95 parts the 1996 and up spindles are less desirable than the 1994/1995 variety. The '96+ sets the wheel out approximately 3/8" more per side which can result in tire to body clearance issues. Additionally the dogleg steering arm on '94/'95 spindles have better bump steer geometry than the straight arms on the '96 and up spindles. More than one builder has swapped out the 96 and up spindles for 94/95 or the FFR proprietary ones after completing the car... The rear end, brakes, fuel tank and pedal box are the same.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Can confirm Jeff's comments. I used a '98 Cobra donor. One go cart spin around the block convinced me I needed to exchange the straight arm 98 spindles for the dog leg, 95 spindles. All is well now!
    MKIV #8740, Canadian base kit, Picked up Dec. 2015, ‘98 Cobra 4.6 l DOHC, T45 transmission, old style IRS, Art Cuesta dieted harness/Ron Francis chassis harness, go-cart July 2018.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks gentlemen! I’ll keep looking!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you going to use the FFR spindles? If so that donor will be fine. I strongly recommend the FFR spindles. The front suspension has evolved since the beginning. Until FFR made their own spindles the best setup was 94-95 spindles plus the SAI mod. I don't think anyone is making the SAI mod any more. Whitby's was but????? If you go w/ the FFR spindles you don't need the SAI mod and you will have the best front suspension geometry possible. To somewhat offset the $, the FFR spindles do include the front bearing/hubs which are $83 each at Advance.
    https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...+wheel+bearing
    Yes there are less expensive ones available but this is one place where you get what you pay for.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sten,
    I'm wondering why you said you'll keep looking after the spindle comment. If the donor fits your need, don't let the spindles drive you in a different direction (no pun intended).

As mentioned, you can get 94-95 spindles pretty cheap. Or the new FFR spindles too.

What are your plans for this new car? I think that is more important to determining if the '96 donor is good for you or not (not just the spindles).

Craig

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a 1996 donor. I wish I used a later model. I believe the 96-98 engines used different, lower performance heads. I believe there are far fewer after market custom parts for 96-9 than for 98-04. In 1996 ford used the all plastic intake manifold, with the plastic coolant crossover pipe. that must be upgraded. I don't know if you can get headers for the 1996 engine anymore. also, edelbrock makes an intake manifold carb conversion kit for 99-04 mustangs; it won't work on 96-98. you can't convert 96-98 to carburetor As for the differential, I was unable to use the wide halibrand wheels without an axle and brake caliper mount mod, so I used the stock mustang wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all! Got it resolved

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by steno View Post
    Thanks all! Got it resolved
    What did "we" decide? Haha

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    The '96+ sets the wheel out approximately 3/8" more per side which can result in tire to body clearance issues.

Jeff
    Steno,

Jeff knows these cars better than anybody, but you may be able to simply search for wheels with a deeper offset to fit that 1996 axle.
    If you are forced to go with a wider rear, just increase the offset.

Possible Front Wheel:
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/are-106a-896530

Possible Rear Wheel:
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/are-106a-816545

I'm sure you can find something with a deep enough offset to make that 1996 rear end work.
    My recommendation is to find a rear wheel that works and hopefully you'll find a matching front wheel that has a workable offset too.

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 02-15-2020 at 08:28 AM.