Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: T-minus 13 days and counting (until I pickup my kit)... UPDATE: It's here!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

T-minus 13 days and counting (until I pickup my kit)... UPDATE: It's here!

I ordered a Mk4 Complete kit just last week and received my confirmation email the next day telling me that it would be ready in 3 weeks!!! While this is great, I was expecting 2-3 months of lead time so now I am scrambling to get ready. I'll start a build thread at some point detailing what I got, but for now I have a few questions.

I am renting a Penske truck and picking it up myself. I have a neighbor with a large Kubota that I am hoping will be willing to help get the kit out of the back of the truck. I am guessing that even if that doesn't work out one could take the body off and then 4 to 6 people could lift the chassis out by hand. Does that seem reasonable?

My bigger concern is the engine. I purchased the Coyote and TKO combo from Factory Five (assembled). If I can't get use of the Kubota with its bucket and chain to lift it out of the truck, what other creative ways have people found to do so? I estimate it will be 550 lbs or so (I think the Coyote is 415-ish plus 110-ish for the TKO plus pallet). Truck bed is about 40" off the ground so I don't think an engine hoist will reach high enough.

Lastly, I was planning on hanging the body from the garage ceiling, but last night I had the idea of hanging it below my deck which has plenty of room and would be out of sight. It would therefore be somewhat sheltered from the sun, rain, and snow of Michigan but not entirely sheltered. I did some searching and found mixed opinions of if long term outdoor storage is advisable or not. Anyone have an opinion or experience they can share?

Thanks!
    Jason
    Last edited by Traveller; 08-29-2019 at 10:44 AM.