BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  20

Thread: "Aftermarket" parts for the Roadster

Post Thanks / Like

"Aftermarket" parts for the Roadster

Starting to get prepared to do a build and just wanted to get a list of must-haves or nice to have extras, ex. Russ Thompson turn signal, Moog / Howie ball joints, Breeze battery mount, etc.

Thanks for any info on the parts, whether they're just time savers, nice upgrades or just for aesthetics .

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh Ben...you know not what you've done As if these guys here need any help spending your money even when they aren't asked now you're inviting them to empty your wallet ON PURPOSE You've opened the floodgates so hang on

Jeff

3. Thanks toadster thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are a lot of great aftermarket parts, it depends on wants and budget.

Breeze Automotive - the list is endless. Seat angle frames, radiator cowl, front battery mount, radiator fan shroud kit, heavy duty shocks, billet side view mirrors, any number of connectors, side pipe flanges, etc.

Mike Everson at Replica Parts - He has some nice stuff that he mills. He has trim plates for windshield, roll bars and seat belts plus other items.

Russ Thompson - Turn signal as you mentioned.

Mike Forte - Any and all parts to enhance engine.

********** - They have some nice stuff and I sourced my 427 shifter and chrome quick jacks from there. The risk you take now though based on what I have read is poor service and slow delivery times. You will not experience this with the others above.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

5. Thanks BaBaBooey, WIS89 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's my list of the things I'd recommend - get that credit card ready!

FFMetal: "blank" trans tunnel cover that is thicker than what FFR ships
    FFMetal: under floor battery mount (if you aren't doing IRS or prefer an engine compartment battery mount available from Breeze)
    Breeze: Fan shroud, fan top & bottom mounts and cowl cover, seat mounting system, power steering lines, side pipe wedges, Terry's mirrors
    Boig: Cool tubes
    Gas-N: Side pipes
    CobraHeat: Seat heaters
    Mike Everson (Replicarparts): Trunk support
    ********** (not a supporting vendor): Shift lever, Cobra emblems, seat belt bezels, quick jack grommets (front)
    METCOMotorsports (not a supporting vendor): Drive shaft safety hoop

Set up an account with McMaster-Carr for all the miscellaneous fasteners you are going to want to buy

There are many more that I bought one thing here and there, but this is the main stuff.
    Last edited by Papa; 08-14-2019 at 10:43 AM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

7. Thanks WIS89 thanked for this post
    Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It probably goes without saying, but as you do your build you will find yourself changing your mind about what you want. I have regretted purchasing stuff too soon more than once.
    Phil: FFR 3121, Frame #2050, Mk 1.5, built 2002, 1991 donor with Blueprint 302 long block and 1993 Cobra intake, BBK 70mm T/B, no smog, power steering, T-5 and 3.55 rear.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't tell you what you will want or like, but here's a list of what I did from my graduation thread last year. https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...d-Circumstance

A couple of things I have 2nd thoughts about, but just about everything I'm happy with.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

10. Thanks WIS89 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by delta0014 View Post
    Starting to get prepared to do a build and just wanted to get a list of must-haves or nice to have extras, ex. Russ Thompson turn signal, Moog / Howie ball joints, Breeze battery mount, etc.

Thanks for any info on the parts, whether they're just time savers, nice upgrades or just for aesthetics .
    Hey Delta0014. If you are using a Coyote engine, we designed an MT82 Shifter kit that allows you to use the MT82 transmission that generally comes with the Coyote engine (https://www.formacars.com/store/mt82shifter). A great opportunity to save some cash on a new transmission. Another option that we build are the roadster door latches. They provide you with more secure, more reliable, and better feeling door latches for your Mark IV. https://www.formacars.com/store/roadster-door-latch-kit.

We plan to be at SEMA if you are curious to feel how they perform. if you are located near us you can come visit our shop .

Reach out if you have questions. These are products we design into our builds and we put a lot of effort into our development.

12. Thanks WIS89 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Oh Ben...you know not what you've done As if these guys here need any help spending your money even when they aren't asked now you're inviting them to empty your wallet ON PURPOSE You've opened the floodgates so hang on

Jeff
    Ha, it is fun spending other people's money...

14. Likes Alan_C liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boat737 View Post
    I can't tell you what you will want or like, but here's a list of what I did from my graduation thread last year. https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...d-Circumstance

A couple of things I have 2nd thoughts about, but just about everything I'm happy with.
    That is quite the list, thanks. Might have to print that out to go through it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the info.

I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, but I've been reading / skimming through a lot of builds and it just seems that some things are mentioned in a majority of them. Wanted to get an idea of all of them, for time saving / budgetary / and just something to do until the kit is delivered.
    Last edited by delta0014; 08-14-2019 at 01:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is my list of "must haves".

Boig Cool tubes.
    Russ Thompson turn signal.
    Russ Thompson accelerator pedal - if you don't need fly by wire.
    FF Metals below trunk battery mount - weight in the rear where these cars need it.
    Heater and heated seats - Note that I live in Florida and still recommend both.
    Fan shroud - easy and fun to make your own. Or you can buy one ready to go.
    Drop trunk - easy and fun to make your own. Or you can buy one ready to go. Less fun on a completed car, but still no big deal.
    Metco drive shaft loop.
    Power steering
    Serious tires
    Passenger roll bar. Yes, they look better without one. Wifes, girlfriends, other friends look better with a head on their shoulders. Track instructors also require one.
    Roll bar trim rings.
    I am a fan of Wilwood brakes. I autocross and occasional track day. But, I would have them for the street too.
    Sun visors and wind wings. For actual wind control. They really help bubble the wind around you.
    Front quick jack grommets, especially if you are putting a front nudge bar (hoop) on.
    3 or more Autocross events. This should be a legal requirement for owning one of these.

18. Thanks WIS89 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post

3 or more Autocross events. This should be a legal requirement for owning one of these.
    Maybe in my younger days. But right now, 500+ HP, 500+ Ft/Lb. torque... Hmmm... That car is WAY more car than I am driver. I'm man enough to admit it. Pretty sure most, if not all, of my racing days are behind me.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

20. Likes Jacob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a 1st builder, and I'll chime in with my "Must haves"... (Coyote power)

Breeze angle seat mounts, front battery box, cubby-hole conversion, radiator mount, shroud
    Russ Thompson's turn signal & dropped trunk kit
    Upgrade side louvers (FFR or **********)
    Passenger roll bar (if so inclined)
    Heater kit (FFR)

These are parts that need to be incorporated into the build process, many of the other accessories can be added afterward/during... the above need to be part of the build process.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

22. Thanks WIS89 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seat heaters. Many on here get cobra heat, Forte sells them.

And just go ahead and buy everything that breeze and replica parts has to offer, you will eventually own it all anyway...
    MK IV Roadster #7999
    Ford Racing 427x; QF 670 Carb; TKO 600; 3.31 Rear End; 3-link; 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Khumo Ecstas (245 front, 315 rear), EPAS Power Steering; Power Brakes; 8/1/19 - Legal in gelcoat!; 12/1/20 - Paint & bodywork in progress! Silver, no black, no red, wait now silver....

24. Thanks WIS89 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I initially focused on bigger ticket items that I knew I wanted and that had to be incorporated into the build. Everything thing else can come later unless you need to powder coat. You will change your mind on certain things and doing it that way might save you some dollars on unwanted items that you purchased up front.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Whatever you do, do NOT go to March Performance... let me repeat, do not go here: https://marchperformance.com/ford.html
    But if you do, I am not liable for your bank account going to zero..
    https://hhong43.wixsite.com/snkvnnm-build
    FFR #4883: 347CID|CompCam Magnum 286HR|Vic. Jr. heads|Hurricane Intake | Mighty Demon 650DP|IRS w/Torsen T2 & 3.55 | MSD ignition system | Mallory pump/filter/reg.|Forgestar CF5 18" w/245-45R18 & 295-35R18|Original I-Squared 1+1 System ☺ ☺☺

27. Thanks WIS89 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boat737 View Post
    .... 500+ HP, 500+ Ft/Lb. torque... Hmmm... That car is WAY more car than I am driver. ..
    That's the point. Most people don't know how to handle a high powered, light weight, short wheel base car. No matter how much they think they are Mario Andretti. And you won't learn the limit of a Cobra on the street and live to tell about it.

We have a couple guys in their 70s. One of them is crazy fast no matter what he drives. He has an MR2, a 69 Vette, and a 63 Vette. He won the 1972 IMSA GTO championship in the 63. Get back out there!

29. Likes Cobradavid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another vote for the trunk cubby by Breeze. If you want to add a lockable door for the cubby get one of these:

99121142-3F49-4AB2-9DEB-309062700883.jpeg

E4D81716-BF99-45E9-B767-EED03938FDA5.jpg
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

31. Thanks WIS89 thanked for this post
    Likes Alan_C liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes on the Breeze cubby for storage.

Also, radiator hoses and tube kit - upper and lower. Not a fan of the supplied stainless steel radiator hose kit.

33. Thanks WIS89 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by swwebb View Post
    Also, radiator hoses and tube kit - upper and lower. Not a fan of the supplied stainless steel radiator hose kit.
    This reminds me. Lower radiator support. I believe that is another Breeze item.

35. Thanks WIS89 thanked for this post
    Likes nucjd19 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quite the list so far....

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, that was a quick grand. Thought I had already ordered all the things I'd want. Guess I was wrong, and I don't even get my kit until July. Just getting as much crap as I can now so I'll have it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RJD View Post
    Another vote for the trunk cubby by Breeze. If you want to add a lockable door for the cubby get one of these:

99121142-3F49-4AB2-9DEB-309062700883.jpeg

E4D81716-BF99-45E9-B767-EED03938FDA5.jpg
    The cubby worked great in my build. I used an idea from another builder and made a pocket sliding door for access. Nothing to get in the way as it slides to the side. I added a lock mechanism from McMaster Carr, loved it.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, dual roll bars, Kirkey high back seats, with paint by Jeff Miller, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    New project, 1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered restomod. Started 10/14/16.
    http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/bu...mod-build.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ptstew View Post
    It probably goes without saying, but as you do your build you will find yourself changing your mind about what you want. I have regretted purchasing stuff too soon more than once.
    Totally agree.I purchased so many things ( tools and mods ) that I changed my mind on and did not use.
    FFR MK4 Roadster (9945) complete kit, delivered 12/4/2020, First start and go kart 5/7/2021. Legal 8/14/2021, Paint finished 7/18/2022 (Viking Blue). 347BPE CI, TKO600, Moser 8.8 3link 3.55, Halibrand 17x9 17x10.5, power steering. Carbon Fiber Dash. Carbon Fiber trans tunnel, adjustable Kirkey Lowback Vintage seats, Vintage gauges, RT drop trunk mod, FFmetal drop battery mod and trans tunnel, Forte front sway bar. Forte mechanical throttle linkage, RT gas pedal. www.covespringsfarm.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post

Boig Cool tubes.
    Russ Thompson turn signal.
    Russ Thompson accelerator pedal - if you don't need fly by wire.
    FF Metals below trunk battery mount - weight in the rear where these cars need it.
    Heater and heated seats - Note that I live in Florida and still recommend both.
    Fan shroud - easy and fun to make your own. Or you can buy one ready to go.
    Drop trunk - easy and fun to make your own. Or you can buy one ready to go. Less fun on a completed car, but still no big deal.
    Metco drive shaft loop.
    Power steering
    Serious tires
    Passenger roll bar. Yes, they look better without one. Wifes, girlfriends, other friends look better with a head on their shoulders. Track instructors also require one.
    Roll bar trim rings.
    I am a fan of Wilwood brakes. I autocross and occasional track day. But, I would have them for the street too.
    Sun visors and wind wings. For actual wind control. They really help bubble the wind around you.
    Front quick jack grommets, especially if you are putting a front nudge bar (hoop) on.
    And....... Avalanche...... you WIN the best in class for putting together a list!!!!!! Agree with the above totally!
    FFR MK4 Roadster (9945) complete kit, delivered 12/4/2020, First start and go kart 5/7/2021. Legal 8/14/2021, Paint finished 7/18/2022 (Viking Blue). 347BPE CI, TKO600, Moser 8.8 3link 3.55, Halibrand 17x9 17x10.5, power steering. Carbon Fiber Dash. Carbon Fiber trans tunnel, adjustable Kirkey Lowback Vintage seats, Vintage gauges, RT drop trunk mod, FFmetal drop battery mod and trans tunnel, Forte front sway bar. Forte mechanical throttle linkage, RT gas pedal. www.covespringsfarm.com

41. Likes WIS89 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan_C View Post
    The cubby worked great in my build. I used an idea from another builder and made a pocket sliding door for access. Nothing to get in the way as it slides to the side. I added a lock mechanism from McMaster Carr, loved it.
    Great. Yes, really comes in handy to grab things when out cruising like a baseball hat, gloves, or a blanket for the wife. I added courtesy lights to mine. The locking door flips down and clears the seats and cup holders.

BAD76415-9E8A-44F4-A5E9-CD8DF65233D5.jpeg
    Last edited by RJD; 04-05-2022 at 08:03 PM.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    If 3-link - Breeze rear lower control arms with the heim joints. Makes an amazing difference in ride quality with and without.

44. Likes cnutting liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OSU Cowboy View Post
    If 3-link - Breeze rear lower control arms with the heim joints. Makes an amazing difference in ride quality with and without.
    How hard are those to set up before or after install? Is there a standard installation config or? I guess what do the directions from Breeze say?

Also, is that OSU Cowboy as in Okla State?
    FFR Roadster Delivered 9/16/21
    Forte 427 Fuel Injected with TKX Transmission
    Forte's Axle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Here's my list of the things I'd recommend - get that credit card ready!

FFMetal: "blank" trans tunnel cover that is thicker than what FFR ships
    FFMetal: under floor battery mount (if you aren't doing IRS or prefer an engine compartment battery mount available from Breeze)
    Breeze: Fan shroud, fan top & bottom mounts and cowl cover, seat mounting system, power steering lines, side pipe wedges, Terry's mirrors
    Boig: Cool tubes
    Gas-N: Side pipes
    CobraHeat: Seat heaters
    Mike Everson (Replicarparts): Trunk support
    ********** (not a supporting vendor): Shift lever, Cobra emblems, seat belt bezels, quick jack grommets (front)
    METCOMotorsports (not a supporting vendor): Drive shaft safety hoop

Set up an account with McMaster-Carr for all the miscellaneous fasteners you are going to want to buy

There are many more that I bought one thing here and there, but this is the main stuff.
    You forgot to mention that your Amazon Prime should be fully active. Mr. Bezos has gotten a lot of my money over this build

47. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is my list for an IRS build.

Gas-n:
    * Headers
    * Touring pipes

Summit
    * Lokar e-brakes
    * Lokar cables

Russ T
    * Gas pedal kit
    * handlebar turn signal
    * drop trunk

Gauges
    * Smiths

northracecars
    * wheels

Herbs
    * Door panel

bugeyeguyparts
    * LED lights

Breeze
    * (I am not getting the battery box, but it's something to consider)
    * cockpit storage
    * dead pedal kit
    * roll bars
    * radiator shroud / hinge / cowl cover
    * windshield bezel
    * a bunch of misc items

FFMetal
    * firewall forward kit

Forte
    * (I am not getting the mechanical throttle linkage, but something to consider)
    * AC pedal pads
    * triple reservoir?
    * cobra seat heaters
    * some other parts

Gordon Levy
    * brakes
    * some other parts

Vintage Air
    * heater + defroster

Holden UK
    * Lucas lookalike switches
    * warning lights

eBay
    * knobs
    * leather hide

Replica parts
    * bezel for RT turn signal
    * front plate panel bracket
    * (roadster firewall support - I am not getting it but something to consider)
    * rear quick jack plates
    * seatbelt trim plates bezel
    * under-dash filler
    * radiator aluminum panel
    * weather stripping kit

CSX parts
    * beklawat tag

iconic parts
    * shifter handle

cobranda
    * Dash emblem with signature
    * chasis emblem
    * hood & trunk emblem
    * steering emblem

Finisline (order with caution)
    * windshield double jet

Period correct
    * girling decal
    * parts to build the push fan
    * A few other things

Amazon
    * parts to build the footwell air vents
    * cruise control
    * oil cooler (to be used for power steering)
    * sound shield
    * removable cup holders

Whitby (order with caution)
    * Tonneau
    * firewall adjuster

VRaptor
    * hood vents
    * maybe wheel well liners

TBD
    * Wiper kit and windshield washer
    * battery location on top of the driver rear tire well
    * nose 3M
    * driveshaft safety loop

Lots of other misc parts. I'll likely end up getting a lot more from Breeze, Forte, Amazon, local hardware store and other places as I go.
    Last edited by zee; 04-08-2022 at 10:16 AM.
    Complete novice who doesn't know what he's doing.
    MKIV with BPE 347 & TKX. IRS. A crap ton of mods.
    Build thread

49. Likes Countrymile liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a reminder I have a set of GasNGo touring pipes for sale. They are already Cermakromed. PM me if you are looking for a set.

Capt. B
    FFR Roadster Delivered 9/16/21
    Forte 427 Fuel Injected with TKX Transmission
    Forte's Axle

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptB View Post
    How hard are those to set up before or after install? Is there a standard installation config or? I guess what do the directions from Breeze say?
    Easy swap after installing the kit parts.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OSU Cowboy View Post
    2X These are one of the best upgrades you can make to a 3 link. Scott
    FFR #3870 MK II, Spectra Blue/Arctic White, 1974 414W, 10:1, Eagle 4340 crank and rods, KB Pistons, Ported Performer RPM 2.02 heads & intake, QFT SS-650, Comp XR282HR, Quality Roadsters pan, Crane ignition, TKO600, 3.55 gears, 3 link, SA QA1's, Breeze LCA's, Heim joints & VPM F/R bars, Power steering with Hiedts valve, Power brakes, Fortes bump steer kit, 5 bolt axels, SSBC rear brakes, Oil cooler, Pusher fans, Halibrand Cobra III's with Nitto NT555 G2 245/285/17