Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: California SB100 Registration

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

California SB100 Registration

All, I'm going to document what i'm going through while registering my MK4 in California. Hopefully this will help others navigate this procedure. I'll update this post to keep the data all in one place.

Given that the DMV is a real pain in the *** to get through, I'm constantly scheduling appointments with them. Once I'm waiting in there, I'm straight on my phone scheduling my next appointment just in case. They can always be cancelled, but it's useful to have a round in the chamber.

Here's the timeline...

July 27th 2019 - (15mins)
    Had an appointment to visit the DMV to start the process. This was a Saturday. DMV booted me out of the office quick as they don't start SB100 applications on Saturdays. Sacramento's phones don't ring on those days.

July 29th 2019 - (3hrs)
    Finally reached the counter at 11am ( after having a 9:30am appointment ). Presented:
    - Form 343 - Application for Title or Registration
    - Form 5036 - Statement of Construction
    - Certificate of Origin from Factory Five
    - Receipts for kit and engine

Asked to start the SB100 process. DMV took my forms, then had me wait in the holding pen for another 30mins. Told me that Sacramento is not handing out SB100 numbers until after I have a VIN. Supposedly new procedure. They did take my money and got the ball rolling.

Left the DMV with:
    - all the docs that I took there
    - partially filled out Form 124
    - 3 one day moving permits to be used for CHP, BAR and Brake and light inpections
    - a receipt for my tax payment and one less check in my checkbook

Made an appointment with the CHP.

August 13th 2019 - (1.5hrs)
    Turned up for my appointment with the CHP in Oceanside. Presented all the docs that I showed to the DMV. Officer Stromer looked over my car then we took it to his bay and up on a lift for inspection. He noted down engine and transmission numbers, used the FFR frame number as the VIN then affixed a small blue label to the frame next to the frame number. He completed Form 124. Next stop DMV again to get a SB100 number.

Left the CHP with:
    - all the docs I took there
    - a completed Form 124

August 14th 2019
    Called the BAR to schedule an appointment. BAR will not talk to me until i have an official piece of paper in my hand showing a SB100 number. A verbal number from the DMV will not be accepted.

August 16th 2019 - (1hr)
    Arrived at the DMV to continue the process. They called Sacramento and I was issued SPCNS# 2019160. Took about an hour. Most of that time was the agent at the desk reading the manual on how to proceed with the process.

Left the DMV with:
    - a SPCNS number

Then called the BAR to request an appointment. Gave them my VIN number from the CHP and the SPCNS number from the DMV. Appointment for 8/19/19 at 2:10pm

August 19th 2019 - (1hr)
    Brake and Lamp appt 8:30am. It was hard to find a shop that would do the inspection but after calling 6 or 7 shops I finally found one. Guy checked the lights, adjusted my headlights. He then had me drive past the shop at 20mph and told me to brake at the line on the street. They were measuring stop distance. He didn't check the reverse light I added

Left the shop with
    - Certificate for Brake inspection
    - Certificate for Lamp inspection

BAR appt 2:10pm. I half expected this but it allowed me to spend a couple hours driving in the car today. Turned me away as I didn't have the official SB100 certificate. I'll make another appointment after it turns up in the mail

September 7th 2019
    SB100 Certificate arrived in the mail

September 11th 2019 - (1hr)
    Bar appt 10:40am. Arrived with all the paperwork I collected to this point and the SB100 Certificate that arrived in the mail. The referee walked around the car, asked to see the engine bay, then disappeared for 30mins. Came back with an official sticker that we placed on the firewall.
    Left he bar with paperwork indicating that the car had passed inspection.

Visited the DMV in the afternoon, waited about 1hr then dumped all my paperwork on the desk and walked out with Registration and Plates!

Done ( at least with registration ). Still a few small items to clean up on the car:

Last edited by lewma; 09-12-2019 at 10:22 AM.
    Build 1: Mk4 Complete Kit #9312 Ordered 1/27/18, Delivered 3/24/18, CA SB100 Registered 9/11/19 - Gen 2 Coyote TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, Wilwood Brakes, 17" Halibrand
    Build 2: Gen3 Coupe Complete Kit #309 Ordered 1/25/21, Delivered 6/9/21 - BluePrint GM 427 LS T56, IRS, AC, Power Steering

2. Thanks toadster thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If it helps, here was my process. https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...d-Registration
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by boat737 View Post
    Yep, I read yours too many times
    Build 1: Mk4 Complete Kit #9312 Ordered 1/27/18, Delivered 3/24/18, CA SB100 Registered 9/11/19 - Gen 2 Coyote TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, Wilwood Brakes, 17" Halibrand
    Build 2: Gen3 Coupe Complete Kit #309 Ordered 1/25/21, Delivered 6/9/21 - BluePrint GM 427 LS T56, IRS, AC, Power Steering

Post Thanks / Like
    Lewma
    Im in the same process as you. Regarding your next appointment with DMV; the sequence number paper is not at the local office. It will be mailed to you from the sacramento office.
    build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vspeeds View Post
    Lewma
    Im in the same process as you. Regarding your next appointment with DMV; the sequence number paper is not at the local office. It will be mailed to you from the sacramento office.
    Correct, but it's a small step along the process to even get them to call Sacramento and get a verbal. I called the BAR and they don't accept verbals. Only the official doc. Plan is to go to the DMV in the morning and get the SB100 request underway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lewma View Post
    Correct, but it's a small step along the process to even get them to call Sacramento and get a verbal. I called the BAR and they don't accept verbals. Only the official doc. Plan is to go to the DMV in the morning and get the SB100 request underway.
    I just received my SB100 certificate from Sacramento within 12 calendar days. Surprisingly fast. I have an appointment to the ref at the end of the month. Good luck on your process.

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

8. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I started DMV process last fri, in paso Robles 2nd in line at 7am, they open at 8am
    What a joke, not the process, the rude, incompetent people.

Rude woman comes out 10 min b4 they open, hands out letters according what you are there for. Asks what I'm there for, I say 30 day temp for new kit car. She says we don't issue 30 day permits anymore. I ask, how am I suppose to go to 3 places in one day? she says we don't issue 30 day permits, again. She says well sort it out inside. Tells us to go to man at kiosk just inside door, he will issue number.

Appointments go in first, so now I'm 10th in line, he has to go to her three times to ask what he's suppose to do.
    I go to him, he yells across to rude woman they already have numbers. She yells back, those are letters, not number, you need to issue numbers.

I get number B-001, sit down, woman that was behind me in line asks what number did you get?
    She says she got same B-001, we go back to kiosk, you issued us same number, he gives her B-002

I get called to window, they give me 4 pages to fill out, 30 seconds later they call me up to different window, I said I cannot fill out 4 pages in 30 seconds. He says come back to him when I'm done.

I finish 4 pages go back to his window, he's not there, 10 min, he walks by and says your forms filled, I say of course. He keeps on walking. 10 more minutes, rude woman calls me to her window. Says I'm giving you one day permit, I ask again how am I suppose to go to 3 places in one day? She says after you get brake and light inspection come back and I'll issue 30 day temp.
    I say you just told me twice, outside that you don't issue 30 day temp permits. She gives me dirty look.

I pay fees, walk out with one day permit.

Next visit should be fun, I'll be going to San Luis Obispo dmv.

Man I sure miss the Low Gatos DMV, so smooth 3 different cars. Even Texas was easy.
    Last edited by 427SSSS; 08-17-2019 at 07:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Completed registration today!! Left the DMV with plates which i now need to modify to fit on the rear

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations!

Post Thanks / Like
    I am so glad I was able to register mine in Kansas in one day. DMV for 1 day temp license, on to state police inspection station for review of engine, transmission documents, statement of origin and VIN assignement, and then back to DMV for permanent license. California has you guys coming and going.
    Doug
    FFR 7995
    347 SBF Prestige Mototsports, Moser 8.8 (3.31) 3 Link, TKO 600, Nitto 555s, 17" Halibrands, PS, AC, Heat, Color Redfire Pearl, with Wimbledon White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Doug View Post
    I am so glad I was able to register mine in Kansas in one day. DMV for 1 day temp license, on to state police inspection station for review of engine, transmission documents, statement of origin and VIN assignement, and then back to DMV for permanent license. California has you guys coming and going.
    Yep, it's an adventure. Why do things in 1 day when you can take 6 weeks

14. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a receipt from my engine builder but it does not show a serial number for my engine or trans, will this be a problem?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The CHP wanted to see my serial number on the engine. It was under one of the valve covers. Can't remember if it was the passenger or driver side (assuming you have a coyote)

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    The CHP wanted to see my serial number on the engine. It was under one of the valve covers. Can't remember if it was the passenger or driver side (assuming you have a coyote)

Mark
    Thanks Mark, I do have a Coyote. So I don't need the receipt to have the serial number on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My receipt did not have a serial number either. CHP just pulled out his phone and took a picture of the serial# on the engine then added that to his paperwork. Definitely carry all the paperwork you think you'll need to all these appointments. The transmission was the same, while the car was up on the lift, he found the tag on the transmission then took a picture of that too.

mark

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    wow this is great! what are the costs involved?

assuming tax/tag/license is ~12% of the purchase price (is that all the parts?)
    what about fees for other paperwork, etc?

I'm still a bit away from this process, as my kit won't come till early 2020 but want to get things aligned
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by toadster View Post
    wow this is great! what are the costs involved?
    I can't remember the overall percentage or the fees I paid. CHP may have been free, SMOG exemption was definitely free, but take your checkbook to the DMV. You'll pay a percentage based on the paperwork you give them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you have to list your labor and a cost for your labor on form 5036?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bobm488 View Post
    Did you have to list your labor and a cost for your labor on form 5036?
    Nope. I only gave them exactly what they asked for. They never asked for any labor numbers.

thanks
    mark

23. Thanks bobm488 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up WOW!! Such an EASY process!

All, I'm going to document what i'm going through while registering my MK4 in California. Hopefully this will help others navigate this procedure. I'll update this post to keep the data all in one place.

Given that the DMV is a real pain in the *** to get through, I'm constantly scheduling appointments with them. Once I'm waiting in there, I'm straight on my phone scheduling my next appointment just in case. They can always be cancelled, but it's useful to have a round in the chamber.

Here's the timeline...

July 27th 2019 - (15mins)
    Had an appointment to visit the DMV to start the process. This was a Saturday. DMV booted me out of the office quick as they don't start SB100 applications on Saturdays. Sacramento's phones don't ring on those days.

July 29th 2019 - (3hrs)
    Finally reached the counter at 11am ( after having a 9:30am appointment ). Presented:

- Form 343 - Application for Title or Registration
    - Form 5036 - Statement of Construction
    - Certificate of Origin from Factory Five
    - Receipts for kit and engine

Asked to start the SB100 process. DMV took my forms, then had me wait in the holding pen for another 30mins. Told me that Sacramento is not handing out SB100 numbers until after I have a VIN. Supposedly new procedure. They did take my money and got the ball rolling.

Left the DMV with:
    - all the docs that I took there
    - partially filled out Form 124
    - 3 one day moving permits to be used for CHP, BAR and Brake and light inpections
    - a receipt for my tax payment and one less check in my checkbook

Made an appointment with the CHP.

August 13th 2019 - (1.5hrs)
    Turned up for my appointment with the CHP in Oceanside. Presented all the docs that I showed to the DMV. Officer Stromer looked over my car then we took it to his bay and up on a lift for inspection. He noted down engine and transmission numbers, used the FFR frame number as the VIN then affixed a small blue label to the frame next to the frame number. He completed Form 124. Next stop DMV again to get a SB100 number.

Left the CHP with:
    - a completed Form 124

August 14th 2019
    Called the BAR to schedule an appointment. BAR will not talk to me until i have an official piece of paper in my hand showing a SB100 number. A verbal number from the DMV will not be accepted.

August 16th 2019 - (1hr)
    Arrived at the DMV to continue the process. They called Sacramento and I was issued SPCNS# 2019160. Took about an hour. Most of that time was the agent at the desk reading the manual on how to proceed with the process.

Left the DMV with:
    - a SPCNS number

Then called the BAR to request an appointment. Gave them my VIN number from the CHP and the SPCNS number from the DMV. Appointment for 8/19/19 at 2:10pm

August 19th 2019 - (1hr)
    Brake and Lamp appt 8:30am. It was hard to find a shop that would do the inspection but after calling 6 or 7 shops I finally found one. Guy checked the lights, adjusted my headlights. He then had me drive past the shop at 20mph and told me to brake at the line on the street. They were measuring stop distance. He didn't check the reverse light I added

Left the shop with
    - Certificate for Brake inspection
    - Certificate for Lamp inspection

BAR appt 2:10pm. I half expected this but it allowed me to spend a couple hours driving in the car today. Turned me away as I didn't have the official SB100 certificate. I'll make another appointment after it turns up in the mail

September 7th 2019
    SB100 Certificate arrived in the mail

September 11th 2019 - (1hr)
    Bar appt 10:40am. Arrived with all the paperwork I collected to this point and the SB100 Certificate that arrived in the mail. The referee walked around the car, asked to see the engine bay, then disappeared for 30mins. Came back with an official sticker that we placed on the firewall.
    Left he bar with paperwork indicating that the car had passed inspection.

Visited the DMV in the afternoon, waited about 1hr then dumped all my paperwork on the desk and walked out with Registration and Plates!

Done ( at least with registration ). Still a few small items to clean up on the car:

WOW! Amazing. Here in Florida I can't even TITLE my Mk4 because the state changed the rules in 2020. Used to be a piece of cake. Coulda done it in 30 minutes in 2018 or 2019. Now the manufacturer has to be registered with the state to title the car. FFR is not registered. Car sits in the garage.
    I lived in California for 74 years. I shoulda stayed there. I knew about SB100, but I moved to Florida to retire. Shoulda built the car before I left.

Sad Jeff
    Mk4 Complete kit with IRS, IRS brakes, Power Steering, 302 mounts, 302 headers, TKO, 2 Rollbars, Leather seats,
    vintage gauges, polished stainless sidepipes, front and rear sway bars, all cutouts.
    Blueprint Engines 347 stroker; Tremec TKO 600; 3.55 IRS, 17" Bullitt wheels: 9" front 10.5" rear.
    Delivered Nov. 6, 2018. First start Aug. 11, 2019. First Go-Cart Feb. 21, 2020.

Post Thanks / Like
    The DMV just opened up and rescheduled my canceled appointment from April to mid-June. I thought I might need to make my CHP appointment sooner than later. Going on the CHP site I don’t see anything related to inspecting our cars. The only thing I see that is kind of similar is salvage vehicle inspection.
    Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    DMV should give a special form for CHP to fill and has info how to make appointment, if you have that then make appoint for VIN Verification, have proof of owner ship specially for frame, engine and transmission, needs to be close to complete.

They will give a vin number tag you will need this for referee, my vin/tag is same as my chassis number from FFR, make sure they aslo fill the form and give it to you you will need that also.

Good luck.

Mostafa

27. Likes bobm488 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff's First FFR View Post
    WOW! Amazing. Here in Florida I can't even TITLE my Mk4 because the state changed the rules in 2020. Used to be a piece of cake. Coulda done it in 30 minutes in 2018 or 2019. Now the manufacturer has to be registered with the state to title the car. FFR is not registered. Car sits in the garage.
    I lived in California for 74 years. I shoulda stayed there. I knew about SB100, but I moved to Florida to retire. Shoulda built the car before I left.

Sad Jeff
    There is no way to even drive the car? Man that blows, sorry to hear this, have you contacted FFR to ask them about this?

In CA there are only 500 SB-100s granted every year, and who knows with CA what they will do next. I am keeping my fingers crossed nothing changes over next couple years before my car is completed.
    Build #9818 completed 04/2021 - Dart SBF 427, PF4 EFI, TKO600 Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...utton-head-mod
    Build review video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6IAbo2sFt4&t=1111s My finished car: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...7&d=1638415131

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fman View Post
    There is no way to even drive the car? Man that blows, sorry to hear this, have you contacted FFR to ask them about this?

In CA there are only 500 SB-100s granted every year, and who knows with CA what they will do next. I am keeping my fingers crossed nothing changes over next couple years before my car is completed.
    I heard a rumor that CA will issue 1000 per year. Anyone hear anything like that? It's been a few years since I did mine, so I don't know.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boat737 View Post
    I heard a rumor that CA will issue 1000 per year. Anyone hear anything like that? It's been a few years since I did mine, so I don't know.
    I have been told by a few people that CA has not hit 500 SB-100s in one year since around 2011. One of the guys I work with built a FFR back in 2011 and had to hit the DMV Jan 1 to get a registration spot. I guess there are not that many people building these cars, although for a state with 40 million people you would think 500 would get used up every year.

I have seen a few guys on here from FL building right now, are they not going to be able to register there car once finished? assuming this will be short lived and there will be some type of option eventually. Every state wants the tax $ which is a good chunk of change when registering.
    Last edited by Fman; 06-08-2020 at 11:11 AM.
    Build #9818 completed 04/2021 - Dart SBF 427, PF4 EFI, TKO600 Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...utton-head-mod
    Build review video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6IAbo2sFt4&t=1111s My finished car: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...7&d=1638415131

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm waiting patiently for DMV to open back up so I can get the SB100 process started. I guess if I run into any problems I will register it in Arizona. I'm sure it would be much easier than CA. What I heard a few years ago is that companies that manufactured limited quantities of vehicles had to use the sb100 process. That changed and they now have their own process for registration and don't use the sb100 process. I hope that's true and that sb100's are still available.
    MK4 Roadster # 8548, Ford Performance X427, TKO 600, 8.8 3 Link, Paint by Jeff Miller, Suspension setup by Frank Maslowski I.E.427

Post Thanks / Like
    They changed the rules for getting SB100 sequence numbers, in earlier years ( when I got mine) every one will go to DMV 1st opening day of the year and and line up and get a number and they will be out of SB100 sequence numbers that day.

Now days you will not get a SB100 sequence numbers unless you are far along the finishing process, I think they will give you a number after DMV VIN check, and to get that your car needs to be close to completion, I had SB100 for over 10 years before I finished my car, but got registered only after 9 months for DMV VIN inspection, and because of this there are sometime SB100 available even at later part of the year.

Mostafa

Post Thanks / Like
    I had no problem getting a number late in the 2018. As I recall the same day they issued a temporary tag, and I was on the road the next weekend! They also extended the temp tag without question while I took my time. Re. other states California seems like it would be pretty hard to beat if it goes right. I had no idea I would be able to do my build with the only factory electronics being the throttle body and coil packs, and only a PCV valve/hose to pass smog until I dug into the SB100 process.
    818S #332, EZ30R H6, California licensed 01/2019

Post Thanks / Like
    My original appointment with the DMV was April 27th, it was canceled due to the virus. They automatically rescheduled it for today, June 17th.
    My appointment was for 9:40 AM, I arrived at 8:45. They let me in at 9:00. I think the paper work went through 2 or 3 clerks before settling on the supervisors desk. First she ask if I had the car with me, which I didn’t, she then told me I needed to bring it in so they could verify the chassis number. I told her I heard it should be inspected by the CHP, we went around a couple of times on this subject, she was very nice about it. She called Sacramento and I got my SP number which is 83. I ask her about Reg 124 for the CHP, she said I did not need it. Called CHP when I got home and they said I needed the form, back to the DMV tomorrow. Earliest appointment for the CHP is mid-July.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KGTM View Post
    DMV should give a special form for CHP to fill and has info how to make appointment, if you have that then make appoint for VIN Verification, have proof of owner ship specially for frame, engine and transmission, needs to be close to complete.

They will give a vin number tag you will need this for referee, my vin/tag is same as my chassis number from FFR, make sure they aslo fill the form and give it to you you will need that also.

Good luck.

Mostafa
    Sort of what I said

Make sure your FFR chassis number is visible, as mine was under carpeting took a while to find it. they would want to take picture and if all goes well they will give you sticker with a vin number most likely your chassis number.
    Good luck.

Mostafa

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Its the luck of the draw when it comes to the clerk that is dealing with you. Very likely YOU know more about the procedure than the clerk does which they definitely don't want to admit. I tried to keep post #1 on this thread as clean as possible to outline the items that need to happen in order.

All you can do is smile, be as polite as possible but be firm with them. Ask to check with a supervisor if the clerk is in over their head.

Good Luck!
    mark

37. Likes Mrallsport32 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I went to the DMV this morning to get my REG 124 filled out, it was missed the day before. I arrived at the DMV at 7:00 (10th in line), they open at 8:00. At 7:45 DMV lady ask me what I was there for, I told her I missed out on getting reg 124 filled out yesterday. In about 5 mins she returned with the form for me to fill out my section. I was in the door by 8:00 and out with the form filled out by 8:30. San Clemente office is the best.
    When I got home, I called the CHP and got an appointment for July 9th, earliest one available. I also got my brake and light inspections done today. After I get my CHP inspection, I will be able to get a 60-day driving permit.
    DMV gave me two one day driving permits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I went to the DMV this morning to get my REG 124 filled out, it was missed the day before. I arrived at the DMV at 7:00 (10th in line), they open at 8:00. At 7:45 DMV lady ask me what I was there for, I told her I missed out on getting reg 124 filled out yesterday. In about 5 mins she returned with the form for me to fill out my section. I was in the door by 8:00 and out with the form filled out by 8:30. San Clemente office is the best.
    When I got home, I called the CHP and got an appointment for July 9th, earliest one available. I also got my brake and light inspections done today. After I get my CHP inspection, I will be able to get a 60-day driving permit.
    DMV gave me two one day driving permits.
    Great!!

I'd recommend you put all your paperwork in an envelope and carry it with you to all appointments. Just make sure that you have the official SB100 paperwork in hand before you visit the BAR. They'll turn you away without it.

mark

Post Thanks / Like
    When you get to it, be careful with the BAR sticker that goes on the firewall. The ink wipes off with many types of cleaners such as acetone.

If I could go back I would have made some sort of clear window that screws over the sticker. Or even a metal plate, you don't need to see it from day-to-day. My BAR sticker is almost completely unreadable now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NiceGuyEddie View Post
    When you get to it, be careful with the BAR sticker that goes on the firewall. The ink wipes off with many types of cleaners such as acetone.

If I could go back I would have made some sort of clear window that screws over the sticker. Or even a metal plate, you don't need to see it from day-to-day. My BAR sticker is almost completely unreadable now.
    Yup, like this. I made it out of aluminum, because the BAR rep put the sticker on crooked. So, no way I could live with that in plain sight. But he also warned against letting fluids or chemicals get on the sticker because it will smear the ink.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    I got my CHP inspection last Thursday, never took it off the trailer. The appointment lasted about an hour, officer was a real nice guy. Went to DMV with inspection for lights and CHP this morning, arrived at 6:15 with no appointment, 8:30 in the door and out by 9:15 with a 60 day permit. She said it may take up to 60 days to get the official SB100.
    Without lewma's post this ordeal would have been much more difficult. I used his information to help steer the DMV in the right direction.

43. Thanks lewma thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I got my CHP inspection last Thursday, never took it off the trailer. The appointment lasted about an hour, officer was a real nice guy. Went to DMV with inspection for lights and CHP this morning, arrived at 6:15 with no appointment, 8:30 in the door and out by 9:15 with a 60 day permit. She said it may take up to 60 days to get the official SB100.
    Without lewma's post this ordeal would have been much more difficult. I used his information to help steer the DMV in the right direction.
    Bob, which DMV and CHP did you visit?

Congratulations! 60 day permit - nice.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    Bob, which DMV and CHP did you visit?

Congratulations! 60 day permit - nice.

San Clemente DMV and San Juan Capistrano CHP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DSR-3 View Post
    I had no problem getting a number late in the 2018. As I recall the same day they issued a temporary tag, and I was on the road the next weekend! They also extended the temp tag without question while I took my time.
    In my case when I exceeded the first 60 period I returned for an extension only to get a lecture from the DMV person. I was given one and only one 30 day extension. After that they said trailer the car where it needs to go. So it appears every DMV and representative conducts business as they see fit. I got the feeling that we are the red headed step children and they don't want to deal with us!

Post Thanks / Like
    I had my virtual referee BAR appointment on Aug 27. Call was supposed to start at 8:00AM, I was called at 8:40. Inspector ask if I had all the documents listed on a form, they had sent me earlier, I did. I had scanned all the docs and had them in a dedicated folder. He sent me his email and I immediately sent back the attachments required plus some pictures of the motor that showed the PCV’s.
    The Doc’s I sent were: SPCNS, Reg 124, DMV Cost brake down, Cet of Origin, DMV reg 343, Statement of construction brake and lamp inspections, FFR PO and Motor and Trans PO.
    As of Sept 4th I had not heard a thing. I called and told the operator I had not heard back, he said they would call be back in a day or so. I got call back on Sept 8th from the referee, he said he never got the emails, seemed to be an issue with my COX email. I resent new emails from my Gmail account, this time I got a confirmation call back. Lesson learned always ask for confirmation email.
    I got a call back on the 10th saying I needed to update a few doc and re-submit.
    The things I needed to update were DMV doc’s that did not have the Vin number, I did not have the vin number at the time the doc’s were submitted to DMV. He said I could white out the docs and add the vin number. Second was labor cost. I needed a cost for my labor, I used $2500 dollar, he was OK with that, no actual hour break down was required. The way you show labor is a little weird. On form 5036 Section 5, Cost information and Vehicle Value, you show all your cost; FFR, motor trans a few extra items. Add all these up, lets say that is $40,000 (I wish), at the bottom where it says Total value you add the $40,000 plus your labor cost of lets say $2500, so you put $42,500 as the total, they assume the difference is your labor.
    I also had to add a write up to Section 4 form 5036 describing in one paragraph how I built the car. They want to hear you say that you built the car vs paying someone else to the building car. He also ask to send a couple of pictures showing the car being built, kind of proof it was me building the car.
    Friday Sept 11th I got an email saying my paperwork was being passed up to his supervisor to be forwarded to the BAR shortly after.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast