Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  12

Thread: California SB100 Registration

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

California SB100 Registration

All, I'm going to document what i'm going through while registering my MK4 in California. Hopefully this will help others navigate this procedure. I'll update this post to keep the data all in one place.

Given that the DMV is a real pain in the *** to get through, I'm constantly scheduling appointments with them. Once I'm waiting in there, I'm straight on my phone scheduling my next appointment just in case. They can always be cancelled, but it's useful to have a round in the chamber.

Here's the timeline...

July 27th 2019 - (15mins)
    Had an appointment to visit the DMV to start the process. This was a Saturday. DMV booted me out of the office quick as they don't start SB100 applications on Saturdays. Sacramento's phones don't ring on those days.

July 29th 2019 - (3hrs)
    Finally reached the counter at 11am ( after having a 9:30am appointment ). Presented:
    - Form 343 - Application for Title or Registration
    - Form 5036 - Statement of Construction
    - Certificate of Origin from Factory Five
    - Receipts for kit and engine

Asked to start the SB100 process. DMV took my forms, then had me wait in the holding pen for another 30mins. Told me that Sacramento is not handing out SB100 numbers until after I have a VIN. Supposedly new procedure. They did take my money and got the ball rolling.

Left the DMV with:
    - all the docs that I took there
    - partially filled out Form 124
    - 3 one day moving permits to be used for CHP, BAR and Brake and light inpections
    - a receipt for my tax payment and one less check in my checkbook

Made an appointment with the CHP.

August 13th 2019 - (1.5hrs)
    Turned up for my appointment with the CHP in Oceanside. Presented all the docs that I showed to the DMV. Officer Stromer looked over my car then we took it to his bay and up on a lift for inspection. He noted down engine and transmission numbers, used the FFR frame number as the VIN then affixed a small blue label to the frame next to the frame number. He completed Form 124. Next stop DMV again to get a SB100 number.

Left the CHP with:
    - all the docs I took there
    - a completed Form 124

August 14th 2019
    Called the BAR to schedule an appointment. BAR will not talk to me until i have an official piece of paper in my hand showing a SB100 number. A verbal number from the DMV will not be accepted.

August 16th 2019 - (1hr)
    Arrived at the DMV to continue the process. They called Sacramento and I was issued SPCNS# 2019160. Took about an hour. Most of that time was the agent at the desk reading the manual on how to proceed with the process.

Left the DMV with:
    - all the docs I took there
    - a SPCNS number

Then called the BAR to request an appointment. Gave them my VIN number from the CHP and the SPCNS number from the DMV. Appointment for 8/19/19 at 2:10pm

August 19th 2019 - (1hr)
    Brake and Lamp appt 8:30am. It was hard to find a shop that would do the inspection but after calling 6 or 7 shops I finally found one. Guy checked the lights, adjusted my headlights. He then had me drive past the shop at 20mph and told me to brake at the line on the street. They were measuring stop distance. He didn't check the reverse light I added

Left the shop with
    - Certificate for Brake inspection
    - Certificate for Lamp inspection

BAR appt 2:10pm. I half expected this but it allowed me to spend a couple hours driving in the car today. Turned me away as I didn't have the official SB100 certificate. I'll make another appointment after it turns up in the mail

September 7th 2019
    SB100 Certificate arrived in the mail

September 11th 2019 - (1hr)
    Bar appt 10:40am. Arrived with all the paperwork I collected to this point and the SB100 Certificate that arrived in the mail. The referee walked around the car, asked to see the engine bay, then disappeared for 30mins. Came back with an official sticker that we placed on the firewall.
    Left he bar with paperwork indicating that the car had passed inspection.

Visited the DMV in the afternoon, waited about 1hr then dumped all my paperwork on the desk and walked out with Registration and Plates!

Done ( at least with registration ). Still a few small items to clean up on the car:

Last edited by lewma; 09-12-2019 at 10:22 AM.
    Build 1: Mk4 Complete Kit #9312 Ordered 1/27/18, Delivered 3/24/18, CA SB100 Registered 9/11/19 - Gen 2 Coyote TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, Wilwood Brakes, 17" Halibrand.
    Build 2: Gen3 Coupe Complete Kit #309 Ordered 1/25/21, Delivered 6/9/21 - BluePrint GM 427 LS T56, IRS, AC, Power Steering. Album Here

2. Thanks toadster thanked for this post