Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hate A/C Air hoses? Try this...

Post Thanks / Like

Hate A/C Air hoses? Try this...

This will work. I have obviously not completed it. The ends of the duct will be closed, and holes cut for feeding the vents and defrosters. Also all gaps will be sealed with silicone.

BinderHVAC_Page_2.jpg

HVAC duct 3.jpg

BinderHVAC_Page_1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

HVAC Duct installed

HVAC Duct installed.jpg

Note: This will require some cutting and changes to the end "caps" of the dash. Small effort for the benefit of freeing-up the space behind the dash for comfortable wiring

This will work. I have obviously not completed it. The ends of the duct will be closed, and holes cut for feeding the vents and defrosters. Also all gaps will be sealed with silicone.

BinderHVAC_Page_2.jpg

HVAC duct 3.jpg

BinderHVAC_Page_1.jpg[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by freds; 10-08-2018 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Note added

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting idea! I will consider that for my Hot Rod, where space under the dash is at a premium too.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by progmgr1 View Post
    Interesting idea! I will consider that for my Hot Rod, where space under the dash is at a premium too.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Keith
    You are welcome. If you want details of the two components I used, pm me.
    fred

Post Thanks / Like
    great idea.... might do something similar with some 3d printed parts when I do my build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LSXConcepts View Post
    great idea.... might do something similar with some 3d printed parts when I do my build
    Thx. I found it simple and "clean"
    fred

Post Thanks / Like
    @freds - I like the concept of a smooth and rigid A/C duct system. Some thoughts are how well it is insulated, will it form condensation? Where did you source the materials and what are the basic dimensions of the pieces used here?
    Logan's Gen 3 Coupe-R Build
    Ordered 4/23/19 | Delivered 6/29/19 | First Start 8/1/20 | First Drive 9/20/20

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Logan, I'll go through my records and get back to you as soon as I have the info.

I mounted the duct to the firewall. The "base" of the duct which has the mounting holes is sealed and insulated. The top of the duct which has the clip-in duct cover faces into the cockpit. After final fitting I sealed the clip-in edges with RTV. I haven't insulated the rest of the duct reasoning that it is actually thicker than the hoses and would therefor be at least as good as the hoses?! Adding insulation would be no bother, but the duct is part of the cabin so any "Cold-Loss" would be adding cooling to the interior.

While charging the A/C it ran for hours and I was getting condensate draining from the evaporator drain hose, and no condensation on the duct (I'm in Houston and it was very humid, as usual). The black box was a project box from Radio Shack. The dimensions were not "perfect" but I made it work as the photos show.

More details will follow, probably tomorrow