Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: GTM - electric vehicle

Post Thanks / Like

GTM - electric vehicle

Hi folks, I am considering doing a GTM build with my adult son. However instead of a corvette engine we are thinking that making it an EV would be something of interest for future driving. Even though I am old school, he is thinking 20 years out. Has anybody attempted an EV, and if so, what were the issues? With Porsche coming out with an all electric vehicle and the massive push toward EV, this seems to be the way to go (even though I am still old school).

Thoughts / comments / issues??
    Last edited by Kotyk; 08-16-2019 at 09:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    No EV build experience but it makes a lot of sense.
    Companies like Revolt are preparing for aftermarket V8 swaps, with drop in E-drivetrains that bolt up to existing driveshafts.
    Others and maybe the same people make inverters with user friendly (think ECU tuner) interfaces to make it run.
    For vintage and custom EV car builds, smaller batteries linked together seem popular for packaging rather that a large sandwich / skateboard pack. People use Prius and Volt modules for the time being. More and more should become available.

When done, it'll be silent, mega fast and very unique.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought about it and contacted EV West for a package and pricing. Turned out the cost vs the range vs weight didn't make sense for me. Now that they are talking about selling refurbished Tesla motors it might make more sense but not sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    The cost was about $40k and the batteries alone to provide about 200 mile range would weigh approximately 900#.