BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  12

Thread: Regrets: Do's and Don'ts

Post Thanks / Like

Regrets: Do's and Don'ts

Hello fellow inmates!

New to the forum. I finally pulled a plug on a MKIV kit. 41st birthday present and another dream come thru. Look forward to getting it delivered and starting to get more grey hairs as I start the build. I am probably going to document it as well. But not to compete with some of your beautifully done creations, but to see if I can make an average joe feel good. My build is going to be full of desperate struggle and fail )) But that is not the point here.

I am still on the fence about some of the available options - upgrade to stainless exhaust, or leave steal one for now. Get a pre-cut dash or order a nicely covered one... wheel sizes, engine options, diff or brakes... lots of choices. I think I am going for lightest options, with least creature comfort and chrome.

Anywho, I wanted to start this thread and ask some of you seasoned builders about what you regret - do's and don'ts. Perhaps an order of doing things. What would you have done different if you can go back in time?

2. Thanks GashF16 thanked for this post
    Likes Kmcallahan, RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations welcome to the club

As you said there are a lot of choices to make when building this roadster and everyone has their own set of likes and dislikes.

My only advice would be to build what would make you happy within your budget

Good luck

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

4. Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Start with how you're going to use the car. Track? Autocross? Street cruising only? Develop a build plan around your planned use. Then work on a budget. Then be prepared to change both as you go. That's the nature of these things. Be honest about your own skills, limitations, and the time and dedication required. If in doubt, attend the build school to learn and also a reality check about the nature of this project.

As already stated, likes and dislikes are very subjective. It's your build, so do it the way you want. Get out and see as many cars in person as you can. Talk to the owners. I've found almost without exception builders/owners are happy to share about their build, what worked, what didn't, etc. That, IMO, is the best way to help make decisions about your build. You can stare at the order sheet all day long. But seeing things in person is quite different. Go for as many rides as you can. Again, almost all owners will be happy to give rides. I do it all the time. Don't expect to drive one though. For most, including me, that just isn't happening. But try to find as many engine examples as you can, and also rear suspension examples. Those two are probably your biggest decision points. I've had solid axle and IRS, and for me it's IRS hands down. But also more expensive. I get that. I'm a big Coyote fan, but realize that's not for everyone either. There are a bunch of build threads on here. Spend some time studying those. You'll find much of the bandwidth is about mods and changes, and that's fine. See what there is and what fits into your plans. But don't feel like you have to do every one. A stock build, done well, is a solid car. It's easy to get the impression otherwise.

After now four builds, I can honestly say my regrets have been very few. My worst were on my first build. I regret it was manual steering. Huge fan of power steering, and all builds since have been. The new owner of my first build added power steering to it. I also regret for my first build I didn't do my homework on the engine and bought a used engine on eBay. Thought I was being clever and saving some money. It was in very bad condition (of course not described that way) and ended up being an expensive decision. I've done crate motors since and recommend that.

For your very specific questions you mention: I'd get the standard steel side pipes from Factory Five. Use them for your build, first start, go-kart, etc. If you find you want something upgraded (stainless, quieter, etc.) there are aftermarket solutions that IMO are the best choices. For the dash, recognize that nice pre-made "wrapped" dash from Factory Five is a molded plastic dash. It's fine if you want that layout and guys are able to make it look fine. But some have expressed surprised when they got it and found out what it actually was. I've always done a blank dash in my kits and did the cutouts and wrap myself. Wheel sizes will dictate not only appearance but also brakes and tires. 15's are most authentic, but tire and brake selection is limited. Either 17's or 18's give you many more choices.

Hope that helps a little. Welcome aboard and good luck.
    Last edited by edwardb; 08-16-2019 at 05:50 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

6. Likes Kmcallahan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only real change I would make would be to get the vintage style gauges. Have a Speed Hut custom set now but have not yet installed them. If it suits your budget use all new parts. Saves a lot of time, rebuilding effort & aggravation.

Happy with the rest of the car after 5 years & 10,000 miles. Lot of debate on the power train. I picked the Coyote/TKO 600. Had to fabricate some sheet metal to fit it & my feet in but FFR now has similar panels in the Coyote instillation package. Been a solid dailey driver with no maintenance other then oil & filters.

My build is pretty straight up with nothing too fancy & very similar to the other FFR cars in our COBRA group. Goal was to get it on the road without making the build process to onerous. If you are contracting out the body work get the body to the shop, if they have assembly stand-in jigs, as soon as you can. Body prep & painting can eat up a lot of time. I found building the car while the body was prepared saved a lot of calendar days.

Car is a performance street build with fun level AutoX capability. Would not worry about weight, no matter how you build it the car will be extremely light under 2500lbs for the typical power choices. Mine is in the 2250 range wet without my 205lbs & like most is traction not weight limited.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 08-16-2019 at 07:01 AM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Like the others have said, look at as many cars as you can. I had a Mk 3.1 for 9 years before building my Mk4. I knew what I wanted as far as power train improvements, but the latest builds I reviewed also gave me plenty of other ideas to incorporate as well. Most important thing I can say is that if you aren't sure, ask. No one will flame you for a question unless it's been answered a million times in other posts. Research all your options on this and the other unofficial Factory Five Forum (can I say that). Look at the build logs. They are amazing. I literally cherry picked dozens of ideas from those builds to solve issues I was running into. The most important thing to remember is that the build is supposed to be enjoyable. Step back when it's not, and regroup. Have fun and Good Luck.

Scott
    Built FFR9457. 351 Windsor, TKO600, 3.73. Fitech EFI. Russ Thompson throttle pedal, turn signal, and trunk pan. Carbon Fiber dash with Speedhut Revolution gauges. Paint by Jeff Kleiner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Be careful of things you do and decisions you make in an attempt to save money. Its my findings that almost every time i did something in an attempt to save money it cost me more in the long run. If this project is a dream come true for you dont cut corners to save money. Instead take a bit longer to make the build and spread the $$ over time. Could also switch to a cheaper beer but who wants that......
    #8869 Delivered 5/11/2016 Traditional donor build using 1994 Mustang

10. Likes Yama-Bro, BEAR-AvHistory, GashF16 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Start with how you're going to use the car. Track? Autocross? Street cruising only? Develop a build plan around your planned use.
    This is definitely priority one!!!! I also agree with edwardb on options.

Then figure out what you like and don't like cosmetically. As stated, looking at other cars will tell you a lot. Do you want the car to look period correct, modern, or somewhere in between?

Take your time and do a quality build regardless of budget. Things that I personally think make a difference. So my "DO" list when building.
    Everything evenly spaced and straight. Even if you don't see it, like rivets that are under the carpet.
    Every single piece of metal should have "soft" edges and corners. Even the AL panels. It only takes a few seconds extra to knock off sharp edges and corners. If you make a bracket, smooth all of the sides, hit the edges and corners with a file or some sandpaper. I have seen some beautiful cars that are let down with brackets where you can see the saw marks and razor sharp corners. You should not ever reach anywhere, including under the dashboard, and get cut.
    Brake and fuel lines. (Personal pet peeve) Use a proper tubing bender and straight sections of tube (if you get coils, there are straightening tools). If you miss the bend, throw it away. Don't massage it to make it fit. Hand bent lines look terrible.

Something that I wouldn't do again. I polished my engine bay aluminum panels. HUGE amount of effort for something you don't really see once the body is on. Look at BEAR-AvHistory's engine bay pic.

12. Likes Mark Eaton liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I regret not discovering edwardb’s 20th anniversary build thread before touching the car. Should be required reading for any beginner builder!
    MK IV Roadster #7999
    Ford Racing 427x; QF 670 Carb; TKO 600; 3.31 Rear End; 3-link; 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Khumo Ecstas (245 front, 315 rear), EPAS Power Steering; Power Brakes; 8/1/19 - Legal in gelcoat!; 12/1/20 - Paint & bodywork in progress! Silver, no black, no red, wait now silver....

14. Thanks toadster thanked for this post
    Likes Ehartsock, toadster, GashF16 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you gentlemen for comments. Already learned a few things.

Its hard for me to decide on how the car will be used. I will have to drive one first and see what it feels like. I would definitely do an Auto-X day and a track day or two, just to learn the handling better. I used to race motorcycles (WERA expert license), so exploring mechanical potential of machinery on the track is not new to me.

I wish there was a luxury of looking at a few cars in person. I am sure there are FFR owners around north Atlanta area, but I don't know anyone yet.

As far as budget goes, I really don't have one. After purchasing a complete kit, my toy fund is drained, but it has a funny way to replenish itself. Function of time.

What I am having hard time figuring out is some of the options. Perhaps a search function will help me with it, but things like power steering? Its a lightweight car, do you need it? Most club level race cars don't have it, as far as I know. But with big tires perhaps its a good thing. Oh, then the size of the wheels, and do people use power brakes. Oh, and brakes... will a set of brand new AP brakes from Lotus evora be a good fit... what size rotors... Leather seats upgrade, and is shifter kit worth the order. Just thinking out loud.

So, look forward to becoming an active member of the community. Anyone near Atlanta?

16. Thanks Davkel thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    the dash, recognize that nice pre-made "wrapped" dash from Factory Five is a molded plastic dash. It's fine if you want that layout and guys are able to make it look fine. But some have expressed surprised when they got it and found out what it actually was. I've always done a blank dash in my kits and did the cutouts and wrap myself.
    This is complete oversight on my end... what comes standard with the kit? Precut dash or uncut? I never specified in my order.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarstiller View Post
    This is complete oversight on my end... what comes standard with the kit? Precut dash or uncut? I never specified in my order.
    Unless you specify otherwise, the kit comes with a pre-cut aluminum dash and padded vinyl to wrap it. The dash has holes cut for gauges, steering column, ignition switch, headlight switch, and maybe a couple others I'm not remembering. The gauge layout is known as the "street" version. HTH
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's what I regret: (1) purchasing parts before I was absolutely sure that they were what I wanted to use; and (2) making a few modifications that, in hindsight, ended up being nothing more than "change for the sake of change." Both cost me time and money that I really didn't have. At this point I don't buy parts until I'm ready to install them.

As for power steering, as long as I have been reading this board and the other one (getting near a decade), I've never seen a serious autocross or track car with manual steering. There seems to be universal consensus that power is the way to go for any real performance driving. Welcome and good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex_V View Post
    What I am having hard time figuring out is some of the options. Perhaps a search function will help me with it, but things like power steering? Its a lightweight car, do you need it? Most club level race cars don't have it, as far as I know. But with big tires perhaps its a good thing. Oh, then the size of the wheels, and do people use power brakes. Oh, and brakes... will a set of brand new AP brakes from Lotus evora be a good fit... what size rotors... Leather seats upgrade, and is shifter kit worth the order.

So, look forward to becoming an active member of the community. Anyone near Atlanta?
    Comments about each FWIW:

Power steering: My standard pitch. Don't think of only the effort. Yes, the reduced effort is nice, mainly for slow speeds e.g. parking. Also, the Auto-X guys (not me...) usually recommend power steering for the best times. But the main advantage is the improved front end geometry. Power steering allows the caster to be increased from around +3 to as much as +8. Makes a major difference in how the car tracks and centers. Just greatly improves the driving characteristics.

Power brakes: This can get a little complicated. But in simple terms the now standard Wilwood pedal box is designed to be manual. It has to be modded to allow power assist which in turn takes away the bias adjustment capability of the Wilwood box. Certainly guys do it, but I don't think it's real common. I've had both manual and power. But current driver (#8674) is manual. Once I got used the heavier pedal pressure required, I'm happy with it. Stops just fine.

Brakes: I can't tell you definitively whether the Lotus brakes would fit, but my reasonably sure answer would be no. Including who knows what else would be different, e.g. wheel bolt pattern, offset, etc. and then you start down a slippery slope of unintended consequences. I'd recommend sticking with the available brake options. Including the rotor sizes that are described on the order sheet. They're tried and proven.

Leather seats: Nice, but the standard vinyl Roadster seats are decent too. I've had both. Keep in mind too the leather seats aren't full leather. Just the part you sit in. The sides and back are vinyl. If budget is a concern, I'd stick with the vinyl. But that's me.

Shifter kit: This isn't something on the Factory Five order sheet. You're thinking about maybe the midshift option for the TKO? I haven't done one. I've found, when using the TKO, turning around the rear shift position gets it far enough forward for my taste. But lots of guys do put in the midshift. Really a matter of personal preference.

I have to believe there are other Factory Five's in the Atlanta area. Unfortunately the big national events (London, Ohio and Texas) are done for the year. Maybe sounds crazy, but for a purchase of this size, I wouldn't hesitate a visit to the factory. You can see and discuss various options. Maybe even catch a ride if Dave's there. Just hold on. Plus a nice area to visit. Lots to see and eat.
    Last edited by edwardb; 08-17-2019 at 04:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went back and forth with all the options too. Spent months clicking through all the options.
    Then the 25th was announced and I jumped on that, kinda took any decisions away as it basically comes with everything. I believe it's still available too.
    I've ready nothing but good things about upgrading to the power steering and IRS.

When's your kit's completion date?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm just up the road in Summerville, SC (Charleston) You are welcome to come by if your ever in the area.

As for power steering, I went with the "electric" option... I tell you this because I can turn it off completely and tell you that I like it on, even if only slightly. The big tires make it a bit hard to turn when going slow. IMO, go with some kind of power steering.

Like EdwardB said, the Wilwood brakes work great and that is one of the "Cool" things about driving my car, I love being able to stop... NOW!

I put cruise control in mine. I'm very happy with doing so and use it all the time... But then, I've put 7500 miles on mine in the past 6 months... I like to drive it... The only thing I wish I had done was to find a little different place to put the control for it. I put it on my dash next to the gauges and it really looks out of place there. But the 3 holes that were put in the dash to mount it would look worse without it.

I installed heated seats and the heater option. Between the two, I've had very enjoyable drives with the outside temps in the 40s and toasty in the seat... In fact, people look at me strange when I get out of the car, go to the trunk to get my jacket out when I get out of the car.

I'm really glad I installed the cubby hole between the seats in the back bulkhead. I did not go with the standard one as things could be hard to get to if they slide from one side of the car to the other in there. Instead, I build my own "box" that holds a ton of stuff and leaves my trunk upper level open on both sides. Kind of the best of both worlds. FYI, I have two folding, compact chairs stored in my trunk on one side.

Hope some of this helps in some way. Again, you are always welcome to stop by... just shoot me a PM and we can make the arrangements.
    Carl

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    I've done 2 roadsters for Atlanta owners. I'll send Private Messages to both and ask them to reach out to you.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    My regrets:

1) Didn't install power steering and I track my car...being 69 years old not strong enough to quickly dial in countersteering when the rear end steps out.
    2) I'm 6'1" and even the factory five big and tall seats are NOT sufficient...you need a racing seat to comfortable...sold my FF seats and bought Kirkey 18" classics.
    3) Not buying the TKO with the 0.62 5th gear. Revs are way too high on freeway with the .82 overdrive 5th. On the track you really don't want to over 120 in these cars without some Aero aids and alot more safety equipment, I never use 5th gear on the tracks.
    4) Using a Carburator...of course 10 years ago when I built mine not many FI solutions out there for a 347 stroker.
    5) Buying stainless sidepipes...pain in the butt to keep looking nice, packing burns out and too loud. Build some chambered side pipes and have them Black Ceramic coated.
    6) Wish I had gone with a Fuel Safe tank since I track the car.
    7) Spent $2000 and lots of time installing kick *** stereo...can't really enjoy it over sidepipe and wind noise. If you can tolerate under car exhaust, worth it.
    8) Wish I had done undercar exhaust...too many snake bites just working on the car. And a couple passengers even with Drummermike heat shields..they don't extend back far enough to eliminate all burns. Also hard to meet sound limits at the tracks here in CA. I ended up cutting mine in half, installing new baffles with Dynatek Auger inserts. I can install one or two depending on how quiet I need to be. They kill high rpm power though.
    9) Wish I had bought a name brand engine to start with, aluminum block....the Coyote is perfect...wasn't out there when I started.
    10) Love my midshifter on the TKO, with 1" plywood over the console gives enough height to put cup holders behind the shifter out the way.
    11) Wish I had put Wilwood brakes on it...mustang PBR brakes start sticking after 7 years due to phenolic piston, no metal ones available.
    12) Wish I had bought QA1 double adjustable shocks instead of the Konis
    13) Wish I had moved the fuse box from the terrible location under the dash to top of the right footbox. The RF harness is not perfect in wire lengths, I ended up undoing most of the wrapping and extending and shortening wires anyway. Would have almost been easier to buy a higher quality fuse box and run all my own wires from scratch.
    14) If you tracking, definitely IRS
    15) Buying high performance street tires with a wear rating of 240. Even with 315 rears, not enough tire to stop wheelspin and hook up with 450HP, even at 22 psi. Second set were Toyo R888s, next set will be Nitto NT01s. Yeah you can't drive in freezing weather but not something you do in these cars anyway.

With all my regrets, I still get a lot of pleasure driving this car. Too old to build a new one, but I will add Power steering this winter and FI Tech Fuel Injection in place of the Carb.

Have fun!
    Attached Images Attached Images

25. Likes Mark Eaton liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Atlanta owner here. Just sent you a PM but forgot to mention that there is a Facebook group of North Georgia Cobra owners. I met some of them at a charity track event early this summer. Very nice guys. I cannot recall the exact name of the group, though. Facebook seemed to be how they all communicated and planned events.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Regrets, I have only three (3):

1. The lack of personal time has really made it tough to work on the car.
    2. Installing a radio was a waste of money because my engine is so darn loud that you can't hear it unless the car is off.
    3. I wish I would have ordered two sets of wheels, which were a discontinued item from OEM Wheels LLC, because I only paid $400.00 for the set.

A second set, in BLACK or GREY, would have been nice to have:
    https://youtu.be/CaRlqMmKIzk

Good Luck From The Dark Dart Side!

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 08-18-2019 at 06:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all your posts. Some great info.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I were building today:

I am a definite YES on power steering. I cruise, autocross and track.
    I also would not build one without Wilwoods. I've never had a car that can stop too fast.
    Stainless side pipes. Wow, mixed bag. They look great......for about 30 minutes. They don't go blue, which would be nice. They go funky gold-brown. The FFR ones are LOUD!. If I were building now, I would give Gas-n-pipes a try.
    Leather - Another tough one. Vinyl is very good these days, especially considering that they will bake in the sun and get wet now and then. Exactly the things that leather doesn't like. I would stick to vinyl unless I just didn't care about budget and wanted the perceived "best".
    Shifter - I am definitely a fan of the stock (rear) location. It is one of those Cobra quirks to me, like the reverse speedo. It literally takes 5 minutes before it no longer feels weird. My friend has a very short mid-shift and he has to two-hand reverse on a 3650.
    I would do the new IRS. The old IRS was not that good for performance. In case you read old threads.

There are two Cobra clubs that you might want to have a look at. The Georgia Cobra Club and The Deep South Cobra Club. Both do get-togethers and multi-day cruises. Many cross club members. If one is near you, it is a great place to see 20 - 30 Cobras in a single place, get a couple rides, etc. They usually base out of one hotel for the weekend, so all the cars are there in the evenings. Georgia is doing their mountain cruise soon, but may be a little far away. Basing out of Fontana Dam area, NC. DSCC is doing a track day and cruise in late October. 28 cars registered. Basing out of Gainesville, FL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey there. I'm in Atlanta....well, Duluth to be specific. I've got an MKIII and drive it quite a bit. Let me know if you'd like to connect sometime.
    -Greg

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post

Stainless side pipes. Wow, mixed bag. They look great......for about 30 minutes. They don't go blue, which would be nice. They go funky gold-brown. The FFR ones are LOUD!. If I were building now, I would give Gas-n-pipes a try..
    Try Mothers Aluminum Mag Wheel Polish On Your Stainless Pipes & You Might Be Pleasantly Surprised!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 08-19-2019 at 06:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in ATL as well. Happy to meet up and show you mine sometime - PM me if you'd like.
    Also there are usually a few at Caffeine & Octane (first Sunday of the month @ Perimeter Mall).
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Try Mothers Aluminum Mag Wheel Polish On Your Stainless Pipes & You Might Be Pleasantly Surprised!
    I have tried that, and all kinds of other over the counter stuff. They all take serious effort.

The secret is something called Compound 302. It is a cleaner for welding shops that do stainless. Available on Amazon. But still, they don't stay shiny for long.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    I have tried that, and all kinds of other over the counter stuff. They all take serious effort.

The secret is something called Compound 302. It is a cleaner for welding shops that do stainless. Available on Amazon. But still, they don't stay shiny for long.

Post Thanks / Like
    My only regret is that I wasnt able to do it sooner. When mine's done, I may regret that I'm not able to do another (until I retire!).
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydster View Post
    My only regret is that I wasnt able to do it sooner. When mine's done, I may regret that I'm not able to do another (until I retire!).
    ^This^

Love the car, but it's almost a bit of a letdown being done. Not the right word, but not sure how else to describe it...

Maybe sell then build another...?
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cnutting View Post
    ^This^

Love the car, but it's almost a bit of a letdown being done. Not the right word, but not sure how else to describe it...

Maybe sell then build another...?
    Some people like the building better than the driving. The good thing about these is that you can get your money back +/- a little. Unlike some other cars and hot rods (not sure if that includes FFR hot rods), where you take a beating.

Go for it if that's your thing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Abbeville SC here. Mk3. About 2.5 hours away. Be glad to take your for a spin

Post Thanks / Like
    I love everything about my car. The one regret I have is doing too nice of a paint job. It is stunning, but It chips and gets road rash just like any other paint job. It just hurts a lot more and is much harder to repair. Doing another car I would stick with a standard color in a base/clear coat.
    Mk IV Roadster, 347/516 HP, 8 stack injection, Holley HP ECU, Astro Performance T5, 3-Link 4.10 gears, A/C, PS, PB Purchased 08/2015, Graduated 02/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think I've seen it mentioned, but one of the mods I made that I'm VERY happy with, is relocating the handbrake to the top of the tunnel. I don't have any mechanical advantage on it, but I can still hold the car on it, so seems good enough. From what I've heard, it's a real b*tch to unload the handbrake in the stock position once belted in. I'm using a Lokar handle - I did have to fabricate a new bracket that I welded up and bolted to the chassis. 4,000 miles in and still works just fine.

FFR6243RD, MkIII, 3.55, IRS, pin-drive width, carb'd 351W, T5, 1/2 dropped butt, Fortes hydraulic clutch, deep dish AC-III wheels by Team III. 9 year build; NY registered 7/18/2016 - "Sweet 16" winner at 2016 Taconic State Nationals 5 days later ... in 'rough as hell' gel coat for the foreseeable future! Build Blog - Leave me a comment!

Register your car with the Factory Five Cars Rule! mobile app available from the app store

Post Thanks / Like
    Things I'd do differently …

1. IRS vs. three-link, especially now that the parts are a lot more readily available and pretty darn cheap for what you get.
    2. Powder coat or raw aluminum with Shark Hide vs. the rattle can bed liner I used.
    3. 18" vs. 17" Halibrand replica wheels for the deeper dish look
    4. Russ Thompson turn signal setup
    5. Breeze roll bars

Things I did that I wouldn't change …

1. Gas-N side pipes
    2. Power steering
    3. Wilwood brakes
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Move the Horn Button.
    You can never get to it fast enough to be of use.
    PHILLIP, They call the wind MARIAH.
    "Against all enemies, foreign and domestic"
    Marines lend an air of dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. FFR#3175, Wimbledon/Guardsman, 302 Carb, CobraEarl's Footbox & Touring Trunk, Snapless Tonneau Cover, fabricated Luggage Rack, Whitby Hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MARIAH View Post
    Move the Horn Button.
    You can never get to it fast enough to be of use.
    As long as your middle finger is in the stock location, you're good!

Honestly, I am VERY careful not to do anything road rage-ish in a car that stands out so much.

The stock parking brake location works fine for me. I can release it even with my belts competition tight. I am 6' 1/2". So in reach for me. Your mileage, and arm length, may vary.