FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Questions on body fitment to determine dash and seat locations

Post Thanks / Like

Questions on body fitment to determine dash and seat locations

Hi Guys,

I am getting close to dropping my body back on the frame to determine the proper location for my dash and dash fasteners. What all do I need to install to get the body in the correct location? I assume the foam or bulb seal that goes over the dash hoop? Do I need to put the foam on that runs down the engine compartment rails or in the trunk area? How about the body bolts in the front and back or the screws on the sides? Is there anything else I'm missing.

While I'm at it, I figured it would be a great time to locate the seats. Do you have any pointers for locating the seats properly? I have the standard low back FFR seats and some sliders that I got from Summit. I assume I'll want to put on the doors? Do I need to worry about clearance for the emergency brake lever? Is there anything else I should be concerned with?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Frank
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    You need the bulb seal on the firewall, the rear trunk sides, and the corners between the trunk sides and down by the door latches. The cushion on the dash hoop and hood surround is just sealing things up. Doesn't really hold it up. Once the body is sitting on the bulb seal and properly located front to back, install the front and rear quick jack bolts and the body will be very close to the final location. Close enough to check the instrument panel and seat locations. Doors don't really affect the standard seat locations. Just the corner of the body in the cockpit. Best way to find the location IMO is set them in place and sit in them. Find the best location and angle that still gives the proper clearance all around. You may find the best position for the driver seat isn't exactly square to the steering wheel. Some guys freak out a little about this. It's no big deal and you won't notice it about 5 minutes into the first drive. E-brake will be tight to the passenger seat, but if you have it clearing the cockpit side wall, generally isn't an issue for the passenger seat. One other hint. Cover the trunk side bulb seal before putting on the body. I use towels, but plastic, tape, or maybe something else works too. The point is the corner of the body will be tight against the bulb seal as you pull it around and into place. It's very easy to damage the bulb seal if you don't provide a little protection.
    Last edited by edwardb; 08-16-2019 at 09:29 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent! Thanks Paul! Have you ever considered writing a book about the fine details of building an FFR? I know there's already one out there, but I think you'd step it up a notch or two. Thanks again!
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    I found that this tape applied to the bulb seal does a pretty good job of protecting the seal while also providing a slippery surface for the body to slide over as you work on the initial fitment prior to final installation of the body.

226070EF-C820-4EDE-BA89-898698CF6DAF.jpeg
    Last edited by RJD; 08-16-2019 at 10:11 AM.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

5. Likes Yama-Bro liked this post