Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Texas Street Rod and Custom Vehicle Bill Signed Into Law

Post Thanks / Like

Texas Street Rod and Custom Vehicle Bill Signed Into Law

While searching what I need to do to register my yet-to-be-purchased Roadster in Texas, I came across a lot of mention of Form VTR-130u. I cannot find a hint of official info on this--it's like it was pulled from the TxDOT website. Then I went to SAN and saw this bulletin:

Texas Street Rod and Custom Vehicle Bill Signed Into Law effective 9-1-2011 (today!)

Does anyone know the nuts and bolts of what I'll have to do 2 years from now?

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=62986
    This link has a little more information.

Post Thanks / Like
    The important part of that bill:
    The law also allows for the use of non-original materials and creates a titling and registration criterion that assigns these vehicles the same model year designation as the production vehicle they most closely resemble. In addition, the law only holds street rods, customs and replicas to the equipment standards specified by law during the model year listed on the title and exempts them from the state’s emissions inspection program.

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone registered their roadster under this new law. Was the process easy? I suspect a lot of the title places are not familiar with this new law. I'm not ready yet since my kit arrives next week, but certainly interested, especially concerning the emmission's part.

Post Thanks / Like
    I want to retitle my car with this. I have 2 cars with Antique plates and that is awsome! Hope I can change mine easily.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Registration and Title Bulletin - #043-11

Date: August 10, 2011
    To:
    All County Tax Assessor-Collectors

Subject: House Bill 890, Custom Vehicles and Street Rods.
    PURPOSE

To notify you of a change made by HB 890, 82nd Legislature, Regular Session.

DETAILS

HB 890 adds two new vehicle definitions and authorizes two new specialty license plates for custom vehicles and street rods. In addition, this legislation revises the titling procedures for assembled vehicles and requires the TxDMV to create an inspection process for these vehicles.

A street rod is defined as a vehicle manufactured before 1949 or after 1948 that looks like a vehicle manufactured before 1949. A custom vehicle is a vehicle at least 25 years old and of a model year after 1948 or built to resemble a vehicle at least 25 years old and of a model year after 1948.

Although the effective date is September 1, 2011, the creation and implementation of the safety inspection program and other aspects of the program involve many stakeholders and constituencies. As a result, it will take some time to effectively create and implement this legislation.

COUNTY ACTION

Please continue to title these vehicles under the current process (e.g. assembled) until we notify you that the program is ready for implementation.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a little concerning. Hope it doesn't take them to long to figure out how to implement the new law.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't worry. The government is on it. :-O

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomh440 View Post
    Don't worry. The government is on it. :-O
    It may take a while.. The Governor has a full plate for the next year..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    It may take a while.. The Governor has a full plate for the next year..
    Nah! He won't last into the new year...
    FFR Mk3.1 #6720. Carb'd 302. Fun.

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My experience with Massachusetts was that it took (and is still taking) some time for the registry guys to implement and in some cases to figure out how to implement the new law. The good news is that its LAW and they will have to find a way to implement it. HUGE thanks os owed to SEMA and countless guys for this accomplishment in Texas as well as so many other States.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
    Registration and Title Bulletin - #043-11

Date: August 10, 2011
    To:
    All County Tax Assessor-Collectors

Subject: House Bill 890, Custom Vehicles and Street Rods.
    PURPOSE

To notify you of a change made by HB 890, 82nd Legislature, Regular Session.

DETAILS

HB 890 adds two new vehicle definitions and authorizes two new specialty license plates for custom vehicles and street rods. In addition, this legislation revises the titling procedures for assembled vehicles and requires the TxDMV to create an inspection process for these vehicles.

A street rod is defined as a vehicle manufactured before 1949 or after 1948 that looks like a vehicle manufactured before 1949. A custom vehicle is a vehicle at least 25 years old and of a model year after 1948 or built to resemble a vehicle at least 25 years old and of a model year after 1948.

Although the effective date is September 1, 2011, the creation and implementation of the safety inspection program and other aspects of the program involve many stakeholders and constituencies. As a result, it will take some time to effectively create and implement this legislation.

COUNTY ACTION

Please continue to title these vehicles under the current process (e.g. assembled) until we notify you that the program is ready for implementation.
    Since the state follows the letter of the law that means any vehicle that is dated or based off a car made before 1949 is considered a street rod. So if you build a replica 1925 Model T since its made before 1949 even if its oem stock it falls under a street rod by their definition. Its sad to see that you are being forced to label a vehicle something its not. I was looking at a 1949 Willy coupe kit at one time to build a factory replica of one and under this that kit would be considered a street rod even though it would have been stock specs.

As far as implimenting the new law they still havent yet, the only forms we have are the VI-30 forms havent got any VTR-130u forms
    -Owned
    '56 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan, '63 Chevrolet Belair, '78 Mercury Cougar XR-7, '82 F150 Flareside

-Wish List
    FFR Type 65 Coupe

Post Thanks / Like
    This is what I got back from Texas DMV today after inquiring about status.

"I checked on the status of this bill and we still do not have a final implementation date at this time.

I can tell you we're working on the forms and policies/procedures required to implement this program. We hope to have these Administrative Rules approved by the end of February. If this proposed timeline is met, implementation may not be far behind.

If you'd like, feel free to check back with me around end of March/beginning of April. If I here anything before then, I'll let you know.

Thank you,

Lindsy Frank

[email protected]
    Consumer Relations Division
    Texas Department of Motor Vehicles"
    FFR 6203 Roadster, Full EFI 302 w/TrickFlow Top End Kit, IRS, Insured, Inspected, Tagged and Titled, Paint and Interior done...just buttoning up the details!

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the latest from the Texas DMV:

"Unfortunately we don't have an exact date. All we know at this time is we're plan to have the rules for this program finalized in March.

If/when they are, the counties will be notified to start processing these. I'd say it may be around April or so before we can start this, but that's just an estimate.

I'll keep you posted when the final notification is sent out."
    FFR 6203 Roadster, Full EFI 302 w/TrickFlow Top End Kit, IRS, Insured, Inspected, Tagged and Titled, Paint and Interior done...just buttoning up the details!