Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Max height of steering column?

Post Thanks / Like

Max height of steering column?

I need to be able to get the steering wheel as high as possible. With the standard screws, I'm able to insert washers and gain .350 of an inch. I could get longer screws and go even higher with more spacers. What is the max height that I can go and still have everything work without significant modifications?

Terry

Post Thanks / Like
    You're limited by the brake pedal assembly/mounting tubes. Other than that you should be able to move it up. Why do you want it so high?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am stalled on my pedal assembly install because the brake light and clutch safety switches are on on my POL list. I'm 6'6" tall and need all of the leg room clearance I can get. Every car I have driven I have to have the steering wheel all the way to the top most position.

Terry

Post Thanks / Like
    Terry,

You may need to consider using a smaller steering wheel and power steering. That's what I had to do in my Miata, as the standard 15" (380mm) steering wheel was too large in diameter, my right leg wouldn't fit, using the foot brake was dangerous at best, and using the clutch was almost impossible. I had to use a 320mm diameter steering wheel, which provided much more legroom. The difference was huge. But then again, all Miata's come with PS standard. It's still snug, but it works.

Allan

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Allan. I have power steering already. If I need to, I can put on the smaller steering wheel, but I won't know about that until I get the drivers compartment all buttoned up.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I put 1/4” spacer under mine which made a ton of difference to the height of the wheel. I don’t know if you could go much more that 1/2” without interfering in the cutout in the dash.

I’d suggest waiting till you get pedals, dash and seats in so you can see how everything works from there. It’s easy to add or remove spacers.
    2017 FFR MK4 9026, 3 Link, 15" FFR halibrands, cooper cobra tires, '88 302/5.0, GT40 Y303 heads, Performer RPM intake Manifold, Holley 650 DP Carb, Pertronix distributor, T5Z spec built transmission, 3.73 rear end. Ordered Nov 2016, picked up at FFR Feb 2017, first start July 2017, Legal on the road May 2018, still in Gelcoat.