Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Power Steering Line Defects

Post Thanks / Like

Power Steering Line Defects

Hey all, I just wanted to post a basic PSA to make sure you check your FFR supplied power steering lines— mine had multiple defects and one of them was extremely hard to spot. It's possible I just got a bad bunch, but since two of them were bad I figured I might post something so that others might check theirs more closely before they install them.

Background: I installed both lines and tightened them accordingly, filled the reservoir and went to bed. Next morning I came out to a puddle of fluid on the garage floor.

At first I suspected that I under-tightened them, but I checked again and they were all super tight.

Next I noticed that the line crimps around the AN fittings appeared to be bulging and kinked on the inside so I thought maybe it was a crimp issue. The crimps just look like generally shoddy quality.

IMG_1711.jpgIMG_1674.jpg

So I emailed FFR and told them about the crimp issue and they sent me a single replacement hose (even though both of them looked pretty bad). Since I only had one replacement hose I sort of had to choose which one I was going to replace and try, so I decided to run a bench test. I capped off one end very tightly, put a funnel on the other end and just poured a bit of PSF into the line. Sure enough within a few seconds a fairly major leak developed at the end of the line. At this point I thought that maybe it was a deformed flare on the male or female end, but I could see from the marring on the surfaces that they appeared to be making contact around the full radius. I went back to thinking it was an issue with the crimp in the line, but the leak appeared to be coming from the fitting itself. I was really scratching my head at this point, so I decided to look at every little detail. That's when I found this...

IMG_1714.jpg

There appears to be a pinhole sized solder or braze void in the AN fitting elbow. This is the last place I thought I'd ever find a leak.

FFR has been pretty awesome about replacing defective items, but I'm a little worried about these lines now and may end up making my own.

Anyway, just thought I'd post in case this isn't an isolated issue.
    Last edited by Alphamacaroon; 08-17-2019 at 01:59 PM.