Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Adjust shocks before installing

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Adjust shocks before installing

THIS SHOULD BE IN THE MANUAL
    I just read this post by Jeff Kleiner:

I'll go counter to Bruce & David and say remove the set screws...and throw them away! When you tighten them they booger up the soft aluminum threads in the tube making it difficult to turn the adjuster ring (sound familiar?). With spring tension on the ring it does not turn. I've built more than a couple of 'em, done this on all and have yet to have one move.

Although I think your question related to adjusting ride height Bruce touched on adjusting the rebound damping. I've found that when shipped from Koni the shock adjustment can be random and suggest that you check it if you have not done so. Here is the process:

With the shock off of the car and spring removed pry the black cap off of the shock body (it has two pins that press into the body). With the cap removed you will see a little metal button about 1/4" diameter with a rounded top. Push this down while twisting the shaft of the shock (you may have to give the shaft a bit of a wiggle while pushing the button to get it to fully depress). As you twist the shaft while holding the button down you should feel it click into 4 detents. Turning the shaft fully counterclockwise is the softest rebound setting and fully clockwise is the firmest rebound. With the factory FFR springs I recommend going to the softest setting in front and one click up from softest with a 3 or 4 link rear (full soft in back is a little "bouncy" in my opinion). After you have them set to the detent desired release the button (it should pop back up, if not give the shaft a little back and forth until it does). Push the plastic cap back into place, reinstall the spring and you're done.

Hope that helps!

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Kleiner; 03-06-2016 at 06:51 AM.

I wish I had read it before.

Oh well, more wrenching experience.

2. Likes Mark Eaton, Kmcallahan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I second both. Check adjustment of the shocks before installing and throw away the set screws in the height adjuster collars.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

4. Likes Mark Eaton, Kmcallahan liked this post