Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Holley carb questions

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Holley carb questions

Felt that my 351W wasn't running as well as she might, so checked out the timing and carb settings. A couple of questions for the engine guys:

(1) I set the distributor to idle at a mark on the balancer that's at 12 degrees before TDC. To get the total degrees I revved the engine and was expecting to be able to read the value. But it goes further back from TDC into a region (BDC) that's not even marked. I was expecting it to go to the ADC area - is my balancer on backwards? Should I just put some tape on it that's reversed from the current markings, ie line up the 0 and just count back into the BDC zone? She's idling easily at about 1100 (stock cam and heads) and #1 plug is clean with a good vacuum reading. But I'd expect to be able to get a reading when at, say 3000 RPM.

(2) When warmed up (which this time of year in 85F heat is almost immediate) shouldn't the electronic choke butterfly be fully open - ie vertical? It goes to about 80 degrees but won't open completely. If I press down on the red plastic cam it will open fully and the idle drops and she sounds much better. But if I blip the throttle it closes up a little and the revs go up again at idle. Is this the 'fast idle' on the carb? The throttle idle setting isn't even making contact at this point I've backed it out so much. Should I adjust the fast idle on the carb?

Here the butterfly isn't completely open. The 12v feed is disconnected, but makes no difference to the position.

20190817_144910.jpg

By pressing down on the red cam the throttle cable is allowed to 'relax', the revs drop, and the engine sounds more comfortable. Blipping the throttle immediately closes the butterfly a little and puts the revs back up.

20190817_144928.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    FFR6243RD, MkIII, 3.55, IRS, pin-drive width, carb'd 351W, T5, 1/2 dropped butt, Fortes hydraulic clutch, deep dish AC-III wheels by Team III. 9 year build; NY registered 7/18/2016 - "Sweet 16" winner at 2016 Taconic State Nationals 5 days later ... in 'rough as hell' gel coat for the foreseeable future! Build Blog - Leave me a comment!

Register your car with the Factory Five Cars Rule! mobile app available from the app store