Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Questions: Fiberglass tunnel and Striker Sheet Metal Cover

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Questions: Fiberglass tunnel and Striker Sheet Metal Cover

A few questions. I've got my trans tunnel cut to clear the T56 Magnum and it doesn't hit anywhere but I cannot get the fiberglass tunnel to sit flat in the back. I saw in the instructions what shows like you should cut a slit out of firewall side (see attached)? I wanted to check if that was correct before I did that. I am guessing that might allow the tunnel to spread a little, but didn't think that was going to help the back portion?

Second, The striker panel covers...should the top of those be installed to the top of the inside door seam of the fiberglass? Did you need to tweak yours to fit better to the back of the door? Also, how about riveting points outside of the lower portion?

Thanks!
    Mark

P.S. - I removed two of the shorter trans mount spacers to get the T56 to sit lower and so the driveshaft clears the metal tunnel brace.

IMG_8411.jpgIMG_8414.jpgScreen Shot 2019-08-18 at 3.15.01 PM.pngIMG_8419.jpg
    Last edited by Mark Gearhart; 08-18-2019 at 05:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark,
    I had the same issue on my T56 build, the tunnel sat too high. I ended up grinding out some fiberglass inside where its rubbing on top rear.
    i also split my tunnel at the front and pulled it in tighter which makes for more footbox room.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I figured that was the case, thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by DamnYankee View Post
    Mark,
    I had the same issue on my T56 build, the tunnel sat too high. I ended up grinding out some fiberglass inside where its rubbing on top rear.
    i also split my tunnel at the front and pulled it in tighter which makes for more footbox room.