Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Transmissions - Tremec

Post Thanks / Like

Transmissions - Tremec

My gen III coupe with a TKO600 5 speed developed a leak at about 1500 miles and the 4th gear synchro won't allow me to downshift from O.D. I guess this has too many miles on it for tremec to warranty. My question... is there another brand trans that guys are using or is there a dependable person in central/northern Wisconsin that could repair this? It's no good to me the way it is so I'd even consider repairing it myself if there is a guide or instructions available. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Youtube is great for that, sometimes you have to watch several to find someone who convinces you that you can do it.

Here's a start:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YBeFZzv83Y

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thrifty,

Before taking it out, what kind of fluid are you using? Is the clutch adjusted correctly?

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    Good stuff, thanks!

it has synchromesh fluid in it. clutch is adjusted. all shifts work good except 5th to 4th. it was noted in the video above that the tremec synchros are junk and I've found that out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thriftychicken View Post

it was noted in the video above that the tremec synchros are junk and I've found that out
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXsRfbOiBhE

Here's the same guy explaining synchros - probably talking about your specific 4th gear problem around the 4:30 - 6:00 mark.

Around 8:00 he starts talking about improvements that GM made to Muncie snychros over the T10 synchros - (bigger synchros).

Around 9:30 he gives a good explanation of why T5s + T56s shift so well - (three piece synchro rings).

Pretty interesting stuff - and it helps a lot if you know exactly what you're looking for when you get in there.
    Last edited by mike223; 08-20-2019 at 01:11 PM. Reason: lol - forgot to add link...

6. Thanks WIS89 thanked for this post