Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
I did the 2015 IRS upgrade 3 yrs ago on my old MkII. It was a lot of work, a lot of welding so you need to be good at that. Especially at welding in awkward positions. I did Tig but I think mig could work also. So it can be done but I agree w/ EdwardB be careful at the $ comparison. I bought a salvage rear suspension and was sure it included brakes. I got a 315 diff because I couldn't find a 331 but that helped because that is not popular so I think that dropped the price. The brakes are excellent. I have no thoughts of upgrading at all. So I think FFRs upgrade is about $2400, and the salvage stuff is $1000 so $3400 does it. There is no question in my mind that the IRS is a worthwhile upgrade. And although no one wants to think about it, the IRS would be well worth having when it's time to sell. If I were looking to buy a used FFR, I wouldn't even look at a solid axle car.
It's funny you bring up brakes because that is what I'm looking at as a potential compromise. Get IRS with the initial build (instead of Wilwoods) and hold out hope for upgrading the brakes sometime in the future.

Any thoughts?

Daily driving is the primary concern with the car (hoping to get a few road trips in) but the car will definitely be called upon for a few autocross/track days every year as well.