FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What's the COOLEST thing thats ever happened to you while driving your roadster???

Helicopter Wrench-Bender ChopperJustin's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What's the COOLEST thing thats ever happened to you while driving your roadster???

OK, so many of you will recognize this thread. This was one of my favorites and it keeps us dreamers and builders pushing for that graduation day. So you guys out there, I know you have some awesome stories to tell from your experiences while driving/showing off/building your cars. Give us your best shot. It's still cold outside and we need some motivation!!
    "Gravity, It's The Law"

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll start -- Last fall, on the very first ride in the roadster after paint, my wife and I stopped at a popular BBQ place for some grub. There were only about 3-4 cars in the lot, and I parked way over in the corner so I didn't have to worry about door dings in my new paint. Once inside, we sat so I could keep an eye on my pride and joy. Pretty soon a guy comes cruising into the lot, drives right past all the other cars, and parks right next to my car. I said to my wife "You have GOT to be kidding me! All that parking lot out there and he has to pick that spot -- What an F'in idiot!" Then the guys rolls down his window, snaps about 5 pictures, and leaves......

A bit of humble pie on the menu that day...

I only got about 500 miles on the car before the Minnesota snow season, but I have seen hundreds of thumbs ups, lots and lots of cameras, a couple of video cameras, had an occasional "it's a factory five" conversation at stop lights, and started a few impromptu car shows at the gas pumps. Seeing peoples reactions is almost as fun as driving the thing!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a very attractive 30 something gal walk up to the car and say "What would I have to do to take a ride in this car?" At that moment, The Lord took my voice from me. I looked at her and simply said "OINK" no more words were forthcoming from my heathen lips. I drove off.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are far too many cool things that have happened while I (we) have been out in our cars.....Some mentionable, one or two not......I think the best times have been those where we have been out with other owners, wine tours, breakfast runs, going out for dinner on short notice, or perhaps going to a cruise in or car show........

Bill S.
    Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
    HOW TO BUY A USED COBRA

Post Thanks / Like

Just the most recent coolest . . .

Okay, I'll add my latest cool thing . . . one of many: After my FFR was hammered sold at Barrett-Jackson last month I followed my wife down the steps from the lights, cameras and excitement of the stage. Beside the steps were two boys, about 6 and 8 years old, who asked me to sign their auction program. I saw that other sellers had signed below the picture of their car but below my car there was no room. Written below the picture of my car was "Connor's Car". I asked about it and the younger kid said, "That's my favorite car in the whole book!"

I later gave him more pictures and some info about Factory Five to plant the hook in this future builder.
    Pete
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't know if anyone can appreciate this quite as much as me but here goes. I went to great lengths to make sure the horn button ended up in the center of the steering wheel. This in itself has been a true blessing as the constant horn honks from others and waves has me very grateful that I don't have to hunt around to find a button somewhere on the dash to acknowledge everyone's enthusiasm.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    This was around 2004, right after I had gotten my car street legal. I ran up to the grocery store pharmacy drive through, and this guy pulls up in a Honda Element, jumps out and says, "Is that a Factory Five?"

AWESOME.

Rob
    God is my cobrapilot!

Post Thanks / Like
    It's easy to think of cool things that have happened with this car; there's so many, it's tough to pick the #1.

- A young blond hangs out her car window and says, "What a cool car! Want to get married?"

- I came in first in the region last year - NASA TTR
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Sadly, nothing interesting/cool/etc.. to report. Blah, oh well, maybe this year.
    FFR cobra
    RCR Superlite
    RCR 917
    04 Cobra/Z06/Diablo/bunch of other junk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by efnfast View Post
    Sadly, nothing ...
    Maybe you should try the puppies again

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Coolest thing so far is just actually going into the garage and having a Cobra sitting there. Still amazes me when I think, "I built that".
    MK3.1 Base Kit non-donor
    Levy Stage 5.5 408W, Levy Super Alloy Plus T-5, Levy DA shocks, Wilwood 6/4, Levy Comp Bump Steer
    Levy Billet Front LCA's, Levy Custom headers/sidepipes, Levy narrowed rearend, SAI mod, Northracecars 17" Team III wheels.
    Build pics:
    http://s239.photobucket.com/home/03SC

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Maybe you should try the puppies again

Jeff

...must....resist....urge....to.......make........ comment
    FFR cobra
    RCR Superlite
    RCR 917
    04 Cobra/Z06/Diablo/bunch of other junk

Post Thanks / Like
    My DMV inspection took 4.5 months to get due to long waiting list..officer that performed the inspections retired...was told "DO NOT BE LATE OR WE PUT YOU AT THE BACK OF THE LIST"!!!!!!!! When we drove up 4 officers yelled out "WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU"!!!!!!!!!! Thinking no way am I late...check time was 1 hr. early. Officer came up to the car and said..."Yesterday when we saw on the computer system what you were bring we have been anticipating seeing your car" He asked "How fast have you gone in her"? I replied "Oh no...not fast at all" All 4 officers started laughing.

Last edited by charles roybal; 02-15-2011 at 03:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bitter-sweet story:

Built my first FFR back in 1998. Got it on the road in September 1999. Drove it 700 miles from September 1999 to April 2000 (didn't even get the carpet installed), including through the winter. Should have seen me driving the FFR wearing an hooded jacket under a snow parka, ski hat and gloves! I'm sure people thought I was crazy, then they would see my insane grin which probably confirmed their suspicions. In April 2000, my FFR was totalled (that's the bitter part). Guy driving a Buick Century coming in the other direction made a left turn directly in front of me. No where to go, no way to stop. I hit him in the passenger side right in front of the rear wheel. Hit him hard (at about 45mph). Hit him so hard his air bag deployed. Walked away with skinned knuckles from the dashboard when the steering wheel collapsed. I get out of the car, and a UPS driver that stopped comes over to me and says, "I saw the whole thing and I will testify for you if you need it." Turns out he was the guy delivering all the parts to me through my build! People really respond to these cars. Guess he was repaying me for keeping him working. As it turned out, I kept him working for a couple more years after that delivering parts for my second (replacement) FFR which I still haven't finished. There are more sweet parts to this story, but I'll save them for another time. This is too long already! Dave and the rest of the crew at Factory Five are major players in the "sweet" part of this story also, by the way. If you guys are interested, I can expand on that in a future post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Once a beautiful young woman about 30 years old asked me to take her for a ride in Wilmington NC.... SERIOUSLY... We went up hwy 17 a few miles and came back... At a Stoplight a guy in a wrecker rolled his window down and hollard "you must be the luckiest guy in Wilmington.. A BEAUTIFUL CAR, AND A BEAUTIFUL GIRL FRIEND" I just laughted. So did she. I thought LATER I should have replied "JUST WHAT MAKES YOU THINK THIS AINT MY WIFE!!!!

I REALLY DID HAPPEN.

And then there is the time that Dan Elams beautiful Wife, Bobbie posed on my car... AND I DO HAVE PHOTOS TO PROVE IT..

CobraEarl

Post Thanks / Like
    well the cobra isn't road worthy yet but i did find that the wife likes the hoods contour and i like the hieght
    Mk 3.1 #6945

Post Thanks / Like
    Had to go there... No pictures...
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeo69 View Post
    well the cobra isn't road worthy yet but i did find that the wife likes the hoods contour and i like the hieght
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure I can follow Leo, but... when taking the car to the painter I was going up a long stretch of hill and the slow vehicle lane I was in was ending. I check my mirror and there is someone riding along right along side of the trailer. Of course I am thinking come on idiot get out of the way I need to get over. Just about then I realize the passanger is taking a picture with their cell phone, they speed up to come along side of me, give a honk and a thumbs up before pulling away.
    MKIII #3835 IRS, Anderson Performance 408 Levy T-5 Trans, Team III Wheels
    Paint completed November 2010, passed NJ State Safety Inspection June 21st, Tagged and First Drive 7/1/2011

Yes, I built this replica South Dakobra's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of pictures taken form the other lane on the highway.

One of the funniest times was at a rod-run with my brother-in-law and our wives. We were on a 2-lane street with moving at a walking pace. He was ahead of me in his Corvette with the top down when along side of him is an SUV with a kid hanging out the window yelling to him. "Look behind you, that's the coolest car ever!"

We both still laugh about that one.
    FFR5109 purchased in 2004, on the road since 2007.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John Sawyer View Post
    Bitter-sweet story:

There are more sweet parts to this story, but I'll save them for another time. This is too long already! Dave and the rest of the crew at Factory Five are major players in the "sweet" part of this story also, by the way. If you guys are interested, I can expand on that in a future post.
    Please post the rest of the story! Posts like thes can't be "too long". This is the inspiration that the rest of us who haven't finished, look for to get us through our builds!

Quote Originally Posted by cobraearl View Post

And then there is the time that Dan Elams beautiful Wife, Bobbie posed on my car... AND I DO HAVE PHOTOS TO PROVE IT..

CobraEarl
    Earl... No pics, didn't happen
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, first off... in the time I have had my car on the road there have been too many "compliments" from people around me that I can't remember them all. They do range from thumbs up to pics taken while driving down the highway to crowds around the car while it's parked. I have to say though the most memorable time was shortly after I got it legal on the road and it was still in gel coat.
    It was a Saturday night and the wife and I went for a cruise downtown. We stopped first for gas and ended up with a crowd nearly right away. We finally got fired up and rolling when we pulled up beside a stretched Lincoln Navigator. It sounded like a stagette going on inside. The thing was full of young chicas!! We were cruising beside it down the main street and listening to the party going on inside the limo over top of the pipes when all of a sudden I distinctly heard someone say "Hey look at that sexy car!!" Within seconds all the windows rolled down on that side of the limo and 10 or 15 partiers were hanging out the window cheering and all off a sudden most of them flashed us!! half a block later the limo turned off.
    My Wife and I were both stunned and we still laugh about it today.
    I have no pics and you will just have to believe or not but I'm tellin you, you just can't make that **** up! LOL

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Four of us were at an elementary school Saturday afternoon for a fund raising event. One of my buddies grandchildren attend the school and we had a good time. While talking with a guy that stopped by, three women, all of them very easy on the eyes, walked up to my car. One started to "pet" the passenger door, turned to her friends and said that she loved the color and that these cars really made her, well to clean it up lets just say "excited."

What was really funny is that my wife and my buddies wife were 6-feet away and heard the comments as well.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    A small town close to where I live was haveing a car show with awards. When I drove in and was parking the car, a women, in her early forties, came over a said "you win". It turns out she was the Mayor of the small town and there was a trophy for Mayors Choice. She later came and said not to tell anyone that she had selected my car without judging any of the others.