Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chevy engine

Post Thanks / Like

chevy engine

I am seriously thinking of buying a roadster kit next year. I would really like to put in a chevy engine. I know that is not popular and I might be talked out of it, if I talked to someone who tried it and deeply regretted it. But I want to talk to someone who’s done it. I see that years ago a guy named Randy Jones did it and even created a website, called Chevy Cobra or something like that. I visited that website, but it seems like there has been no activity on that site since 2013. I sent Randy and email using the address on that website and got no response. I also tried to PM Randy on FF’s forum, but got no response there either. I know there will be issues with the motor mounts and transmission crossmember and possibly with the driveshaft. But no doubt there are other issues not immediately obvious. Is there anyone out there who has done this and would be willing to share their experience?

Post Thanks / Like
    There has been lots of chevy powered Roadsters done and quite a few others too, some quite exotic. One thing to remember when building this car is that IT IS YOUR CAR! You do what you want to do and have fun. Don't let anyone else tell you what you should do. There is some extra work involved but it is not insurmountable as long as you plan it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the encouragement. Bottom line is that I need to be happy with the end result. I suppose if I ever decide to sell it, the engine could make that more difficult.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dennis,

As a long time member of both forums, I can tell you that Randy isn't the only one who has used alternate powerplants. One was even built using a BMW drivetrain. Another with electric. But what is your motivation? I realize that "it's your car, build it the way you want it", but you are headed down a dark and costly path. EVERYTHING will need to be custom built. Headers, cooling system, driveshaft, possibly even side pipes, the list is endless. Nothing will be in the right place. Engine height in the finished car and hood clearance for one. Steering column interference, engine compartment sheet metal issues, fitting a Ford power steering pump mounts to a GM engine, assuming you will still be using the Ford steering rack (Ford and Chevy pumps use notably different pressures). And the resale potential is low for a non-Ford powered Cobra. Yeah, it'll be different. In a Big Daddy Ed Roth kind of way. But is it really worth the effort? You won't get much help on the forums, as few have done it, mostly for the aforementioned reasons. Factory Five can't help, they only support Ford engines in the Roadster, and are a Ford Motorsports Dealer. There have been other kits out there that supported Chevy engines in Cobra-style bodies for years, like Lone Star. Those products have mostly gone the way of the dodo. They also weren't "period correct" from a dimensional perspective. There are MANY reasons that very few have done this, and why FF doesn't support this. You first need to pick a Chevy engine/transmission combination that most closely matches one of the supported Ford engine engine/transmission combinations. They should match in height, weight, width, depth, the whole MaryAnn. That's going to be a challenge in itself. The only one I can think of that MIGHT be workable is something in the 283/327/305/350 family. And if you choose one of those, you might as well just use a 302 Ford for a lot less effort. If you REALLY want to do this, I wish you well but you are headed down a deep and dark rabbit hole. And a very costly one.

Just my two cents.

Videodude
    Last edited by videodude; 08-20-2019 at 09:50 AM.

5. Likes Jetfuel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We sold a 598 big block chevy to Ryan Valin that he installed in a Roadster. I've also sold a handfull of LS engines to guys with Roadsters. More work? yes, but if you can tackle your own motor mounts, headers etc... really comes down to your motivating reasons, what you're farming out vs doing yourself, new vs used, etc. Best of luck either way, but videodude above has some wise words...
    Check out our crate engine offerings at www.factoryfiveengines.com
    Give us a call at 1.800.483.4263

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Go Dad Go is the resident expert on using Chevy power in the roadster.

Go with what you want. If you think you're going to sell ANY kit car for what you got in it you're likely going to be disappointed. We don't build cars to sell, if we did they would be built without personality and who want's that?
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

8. Likes Boydster liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Welcome Fellow Dark Sider,

Please know that I am not an expert by any means; however, I can assist you with engine placement and possible header options.

Check out my YOUTUBES and contact me if I can be of any assistance.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8m...aH45Y6h4orIm7w

A private message has been sent to you with my phone number.

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 08-20-2019 at 12:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I am seriously thinking of buying a roadster kit next year. I would really like to put in a chevy engine. I know that is not popular and I might be talked out of it, if I talked to someone who tried it and deeply regretted it. But I want to talk to someone who’s done it. I see that years ago a guy named Randy Jones did it and even created a website, called Chevy Cobra or something like that. I visited that website, but it seems like there has been no activity on that site since 2013. I sent Randy and email using the address on that website and got no response. I also tried to PM Randy on FF’s forum, but got no response there either. I know there will be issues with the motor mounts and transmission crossmember and possibly with the driveshaft. But no doubt there are other issues not immediately obvious. Is there anyone out there who has done this and would be willing to share their experience?
    Dan at FFR has a Daytona coupe with a twin turbo LS, and Johnny at FFR also has an LS powered Roadster. Not as far out as you might think.

Talk to FFR, I am not 100% sure but I am pretty sure they are close to having headers and mounts for LS motors in these cars.

I wouldn't hold my breath on small blocks, but I think LS solutions are in the works.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond. I will contact Godadgo to get the scoop from one who has been there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond. I will contact Godadgo to get the scoop from one who has been there.
    Dennis,

Great talking to you this evening.
    Call me any time.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Chevy engines in Fords has been popular combination for a a long time and in my opinion the availability, cost and performance of an out of the box LS 3 makes that choice more practical than ever. I have Gen 1 358 with Tremec TKO 600 that sits in virtually same location in FF Roadster as small block Ford.
    Perfectly ok way to go.
    358 SBC, Winters QC, Sweet mfg, Coleman, AP Racing, ARS, TKO 600, Fuel Safe

14. Likes NAZ liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here are the items I used to get a SBC properly stuffed into a Factory Five MK-4.

Frame Mounts:
    https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...unts,1905.html

Motor Mounts:
    https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Proth...unts,5527.html

Headers:
    https://www.schoenfeldheaders.com/im...modified5.html
    IMCA Modified Adjustable Headers: Part Number 161-33

Oil Pan For Dart SHP Block:
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mil-31502

SBC Video The Naked Car:
    https://youtu.be/_wnHDNgnNqs

Hope This Helps!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 08-21-2019 at 10:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, thanks for the input. It is great to know that others have done it without regret. I really don't think I would be happy with the end result if it didn't have a SBC.

Post Thanks / Like
    It was great talking to you too. Thanks for the info and advice. And thanks for all the links. YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!! I watched more of your videos last night and they are wonderful. Fabulous idea to video those things for other guys. Thanks. I will no doubt be contacting you more. I believe I can get my brother to do the welding I need to have done. I am not ready to buy this year, but I am beginning to get excited. I am turning the lower level of my barn into a workshop this year and once it is ready I will be placing my order.
    I meant to ask you last night if you bought a complete kit or just the basic. I wonder if a complete kit comes with a lot of stuff you don't use when you go SBC.

You have already been a great help!!!
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I meant to ask you last night if you bought a complete kit or just the basic. I wonder if a complete kit comes with a lot of stuff you don't use when you go SBC.

You have already been a great help!!!
    Thanks
    I went with the complete kit and the only things that I didn't use were very few:

1. Cone Air Filter
    2. Oil Filter Relocation Kit
    3. Quick Connect Fuel Line Links
    4. Driveshaft
    5. Transmission Yoke
    6. Idler Pulley
    7. Exhaust J-Pipes

Everything else was used; however, I did opt for a larger 3/8" fuel line since I'm running a mechanical pump.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 08-21-2019 at 01:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like you are in contact with the right person to see what is involved.

My two cents. LS engines are great. Coyote engines are great, but a bit of a packaging issue because they are HUGE. SBFs are great also. All of them will make your car go down the road.

From a resale perspective, having an LS in a Cobra is pretty much equivalent to having a Coyote in a 1965 Corvette. It also screams "kit car" a lot more then "replica". Build what you want. But be aware of the consequences. We'll still cruise with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    We went to a rod run about a year or so ago and a 1970 Mustang had this sitting between the shock towers.

https://paceperformance.com/i-238424...ve-covers.html

Add a pair of Generic Valve Covers and watch more than a few Ford fans scratch their heads.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/h...-120/overview/

Heck, change out the HEI distributor for a more conventional looking piece and pass it off as a NASCAR engine.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...view/make/ford

This very cool LSX uses a Short Deck (289/302) SBF Distributor for those of you who might want to know.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 08-22-2019 at 08:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a LS3 in mine. It's coupled to a 6 speed TR6060 and the 8.8" live axle. Works a treat and fits really good. Way more compact than nearly everything else!
    Tim
    FFR MkIV #7393 - LS3, TR6060, 8.8" - Registered 2015 - Painted 2019
    HSV Clubsport R8
    Kwaka ZX-14R

22. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Firstly in my humble opinion if you're thinking to sell these cars as authentic replicas you got to be kidding yourself. These cars are essentially restomods. Meaning, they are improvements over their predecessors. Regardless, speed knows no engine make.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess my question would be...what's the point to this? Just to do it? I like Chevy? I hate Ford? I don't see the purpose of doing anything that adds a significant amount of work for no real reason...but that is your choice.

On the other hand, your third sentence has the most relevance, "would it make the sell more difficult"? YES!

This is already a niche vehicle that costs a lot of money and can only be driven in the right conditions and circumstances. If you live in San Diego for instance you can drive a Cobra all year long, or at least the vast majority of it. I live in central Illinois, I can't. 4 months of the year it's between -20* and 50*. Spring comes and I have another month of rain. So this is a vehicle for a limited buyer in many parts of the country due to how little it will be used. Now throw in an engine that really nobody wants in this car...now your pretty small pool just lost another 80-90% of it's perspective buyers.

There's no other real reason to put the Chevy in the car that wasn't designed for it other than...I want to. Which again, is the great thing about the build, you have every right to go that route if that's your choice. My .02 you didn't ask for...don't do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by donkeykong View Post
    I guess my question would be...what's the point to this? Just to do it? I like Chevy? I hate Ford? I don't see the purpose of doing anything that adds a significant amount of work for no real reason...but that is your choice.

On the other hand, your third sentence has the most relevance, "would it make the sell more difficult"? YES!

This is already a niche vehicle that costs a lot of money and can only be driven in the right conditions and circumstances. If you live in San Diego for instance you can drive a Cobra all year long, or at least the vast majority of it. I live in central Illinois, I can't. 4 months of the year it's between -20* and 50*. Spring comes and I have another month of rain. So this is a vehicle for a limited buyer in many parts of the country due to how little it will be used. Now throw in an engine that really nobody wants in this car...now your pretty small pool just lost another 80-90% of it's perspective buyers.

There's no other real reason to put the Chevy in the car that wasn't designed for it other than...I want to. Which again, is the great thing about the build, you have every right to go that route if that's your choice. My .02 you didn't ask for...don't do it.
    DonkeyKong,

For the record, we all like jabbing and poking each other regarding Dark Side Power!
    By the way, loved the color of your car so welcome to the club.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Put whatever engine / trans / rear end you want in YOUR CAR. That's what hot-rodding is all about, making performance improvements your way. The original this kit-car is based on got an American V-8 engine swap that just happened to be a Ford. That was hot-rodding for the era. And for those that put Coyote engines in them, does the name plate make that departure from original OK simply because it's made by Ford? Forget all that brand loyalty crap -- most of us grew out of that years ago. The roadster is not a Ford, it's also not a Cobra. It's a hot little car that's made for you to personalize it your way. Build it, thrash it, race it, or simply cruise it. Make it solar powered if that turns you on.

If resale value is a major consideration stay far away from a home built kit car -- buy a Corvette, Viper, Hellcat, 911, or some other factory built hot rod.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

27. Thanks walkerwde thanked for this post
    Likes Jetfuel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    but. Three little letters that discount whatever was said in the previous sentence. When someone tells you to build it "any way you want" and then says "but", what they are saying is build it "this way, the right way, MY way". Take your pick. It kind of equates to the guy that says he's a purist and then adds cup holders to the top of the transmission tunnel. So much for purity? Got to agree with NAZ on this. If you aren't building this car with the intention of keeping it forever. Build it as delivered, the engine it was set up for and paint it blue. If you're building it for you, there are no limitations. I build mine for life. I don't buy and sell cars, I collect them. I'll build a bigger garage/shop before I sell one. I just picked up a 6.0 LQ4 to build up for a 74 Ford Maverick project I will be working on as my next project. Nearly every part I need to make the conversion is available in the aftermarket. I'm sure there will be things here and there that will need to be custom fabricated. I think we'll be able to handle that. BTW, many of the AC Bristol cars were sold with Chevrolet engines.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Steve! I also meant no disrespect whatsoever, I daily a 1985 Chevy C-10, so I have nothing against the brand.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was REALLY on the 'DARK SIDE' with my COBRAY - Cobra-esq' body on a C-3 Corvette running gear - 94" wheel base and 4" wider - It had a crate 350 - LOVED the car - Wife Loved the room I got SOOOOOOOO much crap for the die-hard Ford guys, but gave the same argument - how many REAL 32's do you see that aren't fiberglass renditions and running a bow-tie motor LOL!
    Go with what you want! Enjoy it and don't worry what everyone else says/thinks!!!!
    00d0d_30ZLQ4tPJtP_600x450.jpg
    20170829_073320.jpg

Here's a BackDraft with a Mercruiser SB4 7.0 750hp (marine motor) I saw in a showroom at Lake of the Osarks LOL!
    IMG_1028.JPEG
    175458F7-C64E-448D-B0A1-340D8821CA53.jpg

31. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do want you want, but be educated before-hand on the consequences of your choices so you can make an informed decision. That way you don't get stuck on the back end.

Each type of car seems to have its own niche market demands.
    For a Corvette, the engine, trans and differential need to be numbers matching to get top dollar.
    Ferrari is all about ultra low mileage. Kind of ironic that you can't drive the "ultimate car".
    Rolls-Royce. They don't even need to have the original body.
    Mustangs are more about the VIN - which engine and options combo and which particular special edition it is.
    Cobra replicas. A lot of leeway. A Ford engine is expected. Blue with white stripes will sell the quickest.

Treat any of the above like a hot rod (I'm not saying the we are not hot rodding) , heavy modifications, engine swaps, wild paint, and the resale value goes down. Not my rules, but the way it usually works.

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    My whole life (73 yrs) I have been a Chevy guy. If I were to build another FFR I would power it with a Ford. I would use a Small block . I would not use a "comb over fuel inection" nor would I use any aftermarket Fuel injection. If funds allowed would maybe use stack injection for the wow factor. Coyote does not look period correct (nor does the Mustang FI) and who needs the computer problems.

Again this is soley my opinon ! To each his own. I have just been working on a Backdraft built by(finished) Rousch. Has a small block 427 with stack injection. Had to change out the fuel neck as it was made from steel and was rusting, had a 2" stainless pipe made up. I had to replace the headlight relay that was a VW part and a Brake light switch had to come from BD.

Kenny

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by norcalLo View Post
    Here's a BackDraft with a Mercruiser SB4 7.0 750hp (marine motor) I saw in a showroom at Lake of the Osarks LOL!
    IMG_1028.JPEG
    175458F7-C64E-448D-B0A1-340D8821CA53.jpg
    Not that I would do it, but have to say that the Mercruiser dressed out like that looks tough.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankeeski View Post
    but. Three little letters that discount whatever was said in the previous sentence. When someone tells you to build it "any way you want" and then says "but", what they are saying is build it "this way, the right way, MY way". Take your pick.
    Not at all! It can also mean..."BUT keep this in mind...". It's not discounting anything or telling anybody this way is right, that way is right or MY way is right. In this application it was "Build the car however you want BUT keep this in mind, if you're looking for the easiest sell down the road (which you specifically asked about) the Chevy isn't going to be it".

"BUT" can also mean the other side of the coin you weren't looking at or taking into consideration.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by donkeykong View Post
    Build the car however you want BUT keep this in mind, if you're looking for the easiest sell down the road (which you specifically asked about) the Chevy isn't going to be it".
    Donkey Kong,

You are forgetting the Law of Supply & Demand and under estimating the Loyalty of Chevy Fans.

Go to a Rod-Run and you seldom see any Ford engines stuffed into a Chevrolet; however, you always see Chevy Drive-lines stuffed into anything and everything.
    With over 10,000 Factory Five Roadsters built over the past 24 years, there are probably less than 200 that are powered by a Chevy or Chevy style engine so they will likely fetch more than you think. As for me, mine won't get sold but it does attract a crowd when we attended a couple of local shows even though the car is still in gelcoat .

Factory Five Roadsters That Are Powered By Fords Are Everywhere:
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...cobra&_sacat=0

Chevy Powered 911's:
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...vy+powered+911

Chevy Powered Mustangs:
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...wered+mustangs

Chevy Powered Jeeps:
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+powered+jeeps

Chevy Powered Datsuns:
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...powered+datsun

Chevy Powered Motorcycles:
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ss+motorcycles

Chevy Powered Airplanes:
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ered+airplanes

Chevy Powered Airboats:
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ered+air+boats

Never Underestimate The Power Of The Dark Side!

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 08-29-2019 at 06:25 AM.

37. Likes Jetfuel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Donkey Kong,

You are forgetting the Law of Supply & Demand and under estimating the loyalty of most Chevy Fans.
    Go to a Rod Run and you seldom see any Ford engines stuffed into a Chevrolet; however, you always see Chevy's Drive-lines stuffed into anything and everything.
    With over 10,000 Factory Five Roadsters built over the past 24 years, there are probably less than 200 that are powered by a Chevy or Chevy style engine so they will likely fetch more than you think.
    Possibly, but scarcity doesn’t always equate to value. I can name a variety of classic cars that aren’t worth much. I love the bow ties but I would have to agree on what Avalanche stated.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

39. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steve,
    Thanks for your response. Where did you get your engine? What extra parts did you have to buy besides motor mounts and driveshaft? How far along are you? Where are you located? The LS 3 looks pretty appealing to me.
    Dennis

Post Thanks / Like

great discussion

I have really enjoyed this discussion. I brought up the idea of reselling because when making an investment like this you should look at all the pros and cons and all the potential future problems. Even if a person never intends to sell, things can change and a person might have to sell. I am not building IN ORDER TO sell. I have not intention of selling. And I am under no illusion that if I do sell, I will get my money back. This is a custom kit car, not a restoration and I'll admit I have a long and deeply held preference for chevy power plants. The bottom line is that a person has to be satisfied with the end result.

I'm converting the lower level of my barn into a workshop this year and as soon as it is ready I'll be placing my order. Anyone know where I can get an SBC?

Post Thanks / Like
    Depends on what kind of power you're looking for Dennis. Blue Print can help you with a SBC that makes moderate power, as can many other sources. A low powered mostly stock engine is cheap and there are even more sources. If you want a rip-roarin' high-powered pump gas 600 HP plus race engine go to a race engine builder like Scott Shafiroff https://www.shafiroff.com/chevy-pump...34-bigdawg.php.

As the power goes up the price increases exponentially (and so does the fun).
    Last edited by NAZ; 09-03-2019 at 08:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Steve,
    Thanks for your response. Where did you get your engine? What extra parts did you have to buy besides motor mounts and driveshaft? How far along are you? Where are you located? The LS 3 looks pretty appealing to me.
    Dennis
    Dennis,

I cobbled together the parts and had the engine assembled at Ebert's Engines in Slidell, Louisiana which is where I live.
    A crate motor would have been a less expensive choice, but I wanted what I wanted so you know how that goes.

Shown below are the specs for the entire driveline:
    1. 383 Small Block Dart 10-1 Somewhat Pump Gas Friendly Compression Ratio!
    2. Eagle Internally Balanced Rotating Assembly With 6" H-Beam Rods With Floating Forged Flat Tops.
    3. Dart Iron Eagle 215 CC Heads with 2.05 Intake & 1.60 Exhaust Valves.
    4. Harland Sharp Roller Rockers & Other Go Fast Goodies.
    5. Comp Cam Extreme Energy 288 Hydraulic Roller Tappet Cam
    6. Edelbrock AVS 800 Feeding A Weiand 7530 Team G Single Plane Manifold.
    7. Schoenfeld IMCA Modified Headers & They Really, Really Fit, But Stuff Had To Move A Bit!
    8. New Old Stock Corvette ZF 6-Speed Transmission With Hydraulic Clutch. (.75 5th & .50 6th Gear Over Drives)
    9. Standard Front End Set Up With Mustang Brakes & Forte’s .75” Sway Bar.
    10. Standard 3 Link Moser TSD 500 Rear With 3.73 Gears & Explorer Brakes.
    11. The wheelbase has been shortened by .875" to better center the rear wheels within the wheel arches and improve pinion angle adjustment.

Shown below is pretty much what the car looks like today:
    1. https://youtu.be/CaRlqMmKIzk
    2. https://youtu.be/_3sLamdkIFg
    3. https://youtu.be/meBYeI96_A8

Just remember that going down the Ford Path will make your project A Lot Easier plus make a ton of Ford Fans Happy!
    Currently I'm doing 10-20 test miles each weekend and waiting for Hurricane Season to settle down before I blow the car apart for paint.

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 09-04-2019 at 12:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveHsr View Post
    Chevy engines in Fords has been popular combination for a a long time and in my opinion the availability, cost and performance of an out of the box LS 3 makes that choice more practical than ever. I have Gen 1 358 with Tremec TKO 600 that sits in virtually same location in FF Roadster as small block Ford.
    Perfectly ok way to go.
    Dennis

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    Depends on what kind of power you're looking for Dennis. Blue Print can help you with a SBC that makes moderate power, as can many other sources. A low powered mostly stock engine is cheap and there are even more sources. If you want a rip-roarin' high-powered pump gas 600 HP plus race engine go to a race engine builder like Scott Shafiroff https://www.shafiroff.com/chevy-pump...34-bigdawg.php.

As the power goes up the price increases exponentially (and so does the fun).

I was thinking about somewhere in the 400 to 450 hp range. 600 plus seems a bit much and probably would require making other adjustments to suspension, brakes, tires and more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Dennis,

I cobbled together the parts and had the engine assembled at Ebert's Engines in Slidell, Louisisana which is where I live.
    A crate motor would have been a less expensive choice, but I wanted what I wanted so you know how that goes.

Shown below are the specs for the entire driveline:
    1. 383 Small Block Dart 10-1 Somewhat Pump Gas Friendly Compression Ratio!
    2. Eagle Internally Balanced Rotating Assembly With 6" H-Beam Rods With Floating Forged Flat Tops.
    3. Dart Iron Eagle 215 CC Heads with 2.05 Intake & 1.60 Exhaust Valves.
    4. Harland Sharp Roller Rockers & Other Go Fast Goodies.
    5. Comp Cam Extreme Energy 288 Hydraulic Roller Tappet Cam
    6. Edelbrock AVS 800 Feeding A Weiand 7530 Team G Single Plane Manifold.
    7. Schoenfeld IMCA Modified Headers & They Really, Really Fit, But Stuff Had To Move A Bit!
    8. New Old Stock Corvette ZF 6-Speed Transmission With Hydraulic Clutch. (.75 5th & .50 6th Gear Over Drives)
    9. Standard Front End Set Up With Mustang Brakes & Forte’s .75” Sway Bar.
    10. Standard 3 Link Moser TSD 500 Rear With 3.73 Gears & Explorer Brakes.
    11. The wheelbase has been shortened by .875" to better center the rear wheels within the wheel arches and improve pinion angle adjustment.

Shown below is pretty much what the car looks like today:
    1. https://youtu.be/CaRlqMmKIzk
    2. https://youtu.be/_3sLamdkIFg
    3. https://youtu.be/meBYeI96_A8

Just remember that going down the Ford Path will make your project A Lot Easier plus make a ton of Ford Fans Happy!
    Currently I'm doing 10-20 test miles each weekend and waiting for Hurricane Season to settle down before I blow the car apart for paint.

Steve

As you can see I'm not very good at this forum, but I'm figuring some things out. Thanks for your extra help!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Dennis, no matter what engine you decide to run look for a crate engine that fits your needs. I've built several engines (professionally and for myself) and even with the experience and all the special tools I can't build one for the price of a crate engine and you can get a crate engine with a warranty. While it takes me months to complete a custom engine you will likely find one that fits your needs and will ship out truck freight tomorrow. So in maybe 5-days depending on where you live, you can have an engine ready to install.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dennis
    I had a 9-1 358 ci race engine left over from a NASCAR touring series I ran more than a few years back. I fabricated offset motor mounts and headers to position motor pretty close to where a SBF would sit in FF chassis. Only different parts from using a Ford were the bellhousing and Chevy style radiator. The transmission mounts landed right on the FF support and drive shaft length was very similar to that described for a Ford. I would contact some (there maybe more than a few)of the FF Roadster builders with LS engines regarding motor mounts and headers. There may be someone fabricating those for sale. Building your own results in nice sidepipe alignment!
    You will have a really good selection of LS3 crate engines to chose from and easy to fit. My car is a Mark 3 finished (no frills, no carpet) and lives in Sacramento CA region. I used a a lot of racecar components (because I already owned them) as my donor. (Coleman spindles, Howe hubs, Sweet mfg steering, AP Racing brakes , Winters quick change rearend, and Advanced Racing Coil-overs). The engine was the easy part. You will find that to be the case with the LS install.
    358 SBC, Winters QC, Sweet mfg, Coleman, AP Racing, ARS, TKO 600, Fuel Safe

49. Likes NAZ liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast