Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GashF16's Gen 3 Coupe #187 Build: Engine Installed

Post Thanks / Like

GashF16's Gen 3 Coupe #187 Build: Engine Installed

I pulled the trigger today! I decided to get this project going while my kids are still in high school so we can enjoy the build together. Completion date is September 21...way faster than I expected!

Since this is my first post, here's a little about me. I'm a retired US Air Force F-16 fighter pilot, now flying for an airline. I live in Phoenix, Arizona. I previously built a Vans RV-8 airplane (the photo with the WWII paint job). I'm currently flying an Extra 330LX (the red and white plane) in aerobatic contests around the country. I've done some airshow flying too. I know how to build airplanes, but this is my first race car build. I have a lot to learn and will be soaking up a ton of know-how from all of you smart folks here.

Engine / Trans will be a 2018 Coyote Gen 3 / T-56.

Here's what I ordered today. I'm considering deleting the FFR headers and J pipes and going with Boig Quietpipes if they make them for the Coupe. Otherwise, the only other thing I deleted was the seats. I'll probably go with the Corbeau Sportline Evolution X seats when I get to that point.

I'm wondering what things would be smart to add to the order right now. I'm very open to suggestions, ideas and general sanity checks on this list. (Sorry for the all-caps, that's how it copy/pasted from the order)

COUPE GEN 3 COMPLETE KIT
    POWDER COATING GEN 3 COUPE CHASSIS
    COUPE GPS GAUGE SET W/KIT
    MODULAR 4.6/COYOTE ENG/TRANS MOUNT KIT
    BOIG HEADERS & QUIET PIPES
    31 SPLINE 2015 IRS 9.75" DRIVESHAFT
    BODY CUT-OUTS
    COYOTE POWER STEERING W/COMPLETE KIT
    FRONT LOWER ARMS - STANDARD WIDTH
    COUPE 2015 IRS PARTS W/COMPLETE KIT
    GEN 3 COUPE COYOTE A/C KIT
    COUPE WINDSHIELD WIPER ASSEMBLY
    GEN 3 COUPE BLACK CARPET KIT
    MOMO STEERING WHEEL
    BREEZE AUTOMOTIVE STEERING QUICK DISCONNECT
    SET OF TWO ALUMINUM INTERIOR HANDLES
    SIDE WINDOW COMPONENTS
    BATTERY CUT-OFF SWITCH
    RDSTR FRONT SWAYBAR COMPS (4/14/15 +)
    2015 IRS SWAYBAR COMPONENTS
    COUPE NOSE SCOOPS
    COYOTE INSTALLATION KIT
    18X9/11" 5 LUG HALIBRAND REPLICA WHEELS
    15” IRS KONI DOUBLE ADJUSTABLE SHOCK SET
    2018 IRS 3.55 CENTER SECTION & SPINDLES
    12.88" FRONT WILWOOD BRAKES-BLACK W/KIT
    12.88" 2015 IRS WILWOOD BRAKE KIT-BLACK

o5x.jpg

o5z.jpg

o5I.jpg
    Last edited by GashF16; 04-29-2020 at 05:42 PM.

2. Likes RandyNJ, P100DHG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome!
    It sounds like a good setup. I've heard mixed feelings about the wiper kit so see if you can look more into that. I went ahead and ordered it too with my kit but I'm undecided on installing it.

If you haven't already, check out EdwardB's build thread for his opinion on things and as a comparison (although you may already have)

Have fun and be sure to post as you build!
    Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe builder

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome, and congrats on your kit purchase! Your configuration is very similar to what I'm doing. Build thread in my sig line below. Obviously you're doing a Coyote. You don't mention whether Gen 2 or Gen 3. That will be a decision you'll need to make. I have two comments FWIW about your configuration:

(1) I highly recommend the Specialty Power Windows wiper setup versus the Lucas style setup Factory Five supplies in their wiper kit. I've done several of the Lucas style in Roadsters, so I'm very familiar with them. The Specialty Power Windows version is more robust, more adjustable, and way cheaper. Fits the Coupe perfectly. Details in my build thread.

(2) You mention "COYOTE FULL LENGTH BALL HEADERS ASSEMBLY" and also J-pipes. Those are kind of mutually exclusive. The full length headers, which are the better choice, bolt directly to the side pipes. No J-pipes. I'm a little interested in the description from your sales order including "BALL HEADERS." That sounds like the new design Dave Smith talked about on the 25 Anniversary Roadster video, which I happen to know is also being provided for the Coupe. They also have in the works, don't know if announced yet, upgraded SS twin-pipe Coupe headers. If that's something you're interested in, I'd be asking questions or at least make part of your decision path. The Boig parts are nice. It's a complete package of headers and sidepipes. Two things: They're steel and need some kind of finish. Also a single pipe and some (like me) prefer the more traditional Coupe twin-pipe design. Another option, which I talk about and show in my build thread, is a Coupe polished SS twin-pipe setup coming onto the market from Gas-N Performance. They are one of the premier suppliers for Roadster side pipes, and are developing Gen 3 Coupe side pipes.

Love your bio. Thank you for your service. Your RV-8 looks awesome and with that experience you should knock out the Coupe. That Extra is awesome too. I have a lifelong interest in aviation, although never pursued it. Our oldest son however did and is a professional pilot.
    Last edited by edwardb; 08-20-2019 at 04:43 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome, GashF16, from a fellow aviator! ...although I only have my Private/PPL. It's too expensive a hobby for me to stay into for very long. I'd sure love to build my own plane!

Just over 7 weeks ago I received my Coupe-R kit, chassis #170, and have been slowly working on it. (Do you know your chassis number yet?) I have sunk so much time into researching parts that I haven't been able to crack the whip on the build yet. I'm also doing a Gen 3 Coyote with T56 Magnum and IRS.

To echo Edward's comment, there are a few exhaust setups from which to choose. I would not bother with the J-pipes... you have plenty of better options especially if you're going all new. I have the full length headers from FFR (made by GP Headers I believe), which bolt directly to the sidepipes. Now there seems to be a new ball-&-socket header from FFR which allows adjustability in all 3 axis to help get the best fit on the sidepipes, although with as many cars as have been built without these new headers they certainly aren't an absolute necessity. This is the first I'm hearing about FFR having designed a new stainless-steel twin-sidepipe..... VERY interested in these... !!
    Logan's Gen 3 Coupe-R Build
    Ordered 4/23/19 | Delivered 6/29/19 | First Start 8/1/20 | First Drive 9/20/20

6. Thanks GashF16 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tips guys. I'll call over to FFR tomorrow to delete the Lucas wipers from the order. Thanks for the J pipes explanation. I will ask FFR about the upgraded SS twin-pipe Coupe headers, then will post here what I find out. Like you edwardb, I prefer the traditional twin-pipe look, so hopefully I can be an "early adopter" when FFR has it ready for primetime. If that's not a player, I'll see what Gas-N-Performance has coming to market.

Edwardb, to answer you question, I ordered a Gen 3 Coyote with the T-56 upgrade, Boss 302 intake, and I'm having FFR put it together. I wanted to stay mostly "plug and play" for this build. It seems like a great engine/trans combo. Someday when I become a repeat offender and do a second FFR build, I may venture out and get more creative.

I really appreciate the suggestions guys. Huge help. By the way, just a forum housekeeping question. I tried to add a profile photo and signature line, but the forum says access denied. Do you know how to contact a moderator so I can get permissions?
    Last edited by GashF16; 08-20-2019 at 05:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GashF16 View Post
    Edwardb, to answer you question, I ordered a Gen 3 Coyote with the T-56 upgrade, Boss 302 intake, and I'm having FFR put it together. I wanted to stay mostly "plug and play" for this build. It seems like a great engine/trans combo. Someday when I become a repeat offender and do a second FFR build, I may venture out and get more creative.

I really appreciate the suggestions guys. Huge help. By the way, just a forum housekeeping question. I tried to add a profile photo and signature line, but the forum says access denied. Do you know how to contact a moderator so I can get permissions?
    Really? Factory Five is offering the Gen 3 (2018+) Coyote? Hadn't heard that before. I've only heard they were selling Gen 2's (2015-2017). I have a Gen 3 Coyote in my Coupe build. Got it right when they came out as a crate package about one year ago. Has some differences, which I talk about in my build thread. There are no Gen 3 Coyote installation instructions from Factory Five that I'm aware of. A Boss 302 intake on a Gen 3 is an interesting choice as well. I agree completely the Boss intake is a big cosmetic improvement. But the 2018 stock intake was a big performance improvement over previous intakes, including the Boss 302, and you'll lose the CMCV system from the stock intake. Will require a custom tune, which is likely required in any case. You'll be the first that I've seen or heard of using that combination.

Your functionality is limited until you have more posts. At the bottom of the home page, in the border, is a link for "Contact Us." Explain your situation (new user, ordered a kit) and likely you can get an early permission.
    Last edited by edwardb; 08-20-2019 at 08:38 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

9. Thanks GashF16 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    One thing to note about the Cobra Jet or Boss intake manifolds... that high rise intake setup is what the 5.2L Aluminator crate engine comes equipped with. Several installs of that engine now, including the Joey Logano Snap-On Coupe-R and Surfdog57 (on the other forum).

You ordered a Gen 3 COUPE...... and most likely a Gen 2 COYOTE engine. However, a Gen 3 engine in a Gen 3 chassis does have a nice ring to it
    Logan's Gen 3 Coupe-R Build
    Ordered 4/23/19 | Delivered 6/29/19 | First Start 8/1/20 | First Drive 9/20/20

Post Thanks / Like
    I called FFR to delete the wipers (thanks again edwardb). I also got some news on the headers. I was told that those ball headers in my order are the new design that edwardb mentioned above in this thread. All Gen 3 Coupe kits from now on will get these. The headers have a ball flange that gives you a little more wiggle room to get the right fit.
    Last edited by GashF16; 08-21-2019 at 12:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I too have done almost the same thing. Crazy thing is that I am a pro Vans aircraft builder/mechanic. Use to fly air shows and competition. My last contest was in an Extra 330 LC. Small world. Hoping to have my Coupe delivered by late Oct. ordered a Gen 3 Coyote with the Tremec 600. Can’t wait for this new adventure.

13. Thanks gtrag94 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Zinman, that's really cool! There must be a strong correlation between the desire to pull Gs in an airplane and build/drive a race car. I really dig this stuff. Looks like you and I are getting our cars delivered at roughly the same time. It'll be good to watch your build on here and get ideas!
    Last edited by GashF16; 08-21-2019 at 08:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a great phone call with Bob Boig of Boig Autosports today. What a cool guy! I learned a lot about his Quiet Pipes, and after researching here on the the forum, I've decided to go with his Quiet Pipes instead of the FFR ball headers and pipes. Nothing against the FFR pipes at all, I am sure they're great. The main reason for my decision is that the Arizona Motorsports Park track by my house requires 96 dB(A) maximum at 50'. The sound readings others have posted here would indicate that I'd have a real problem with FFR pipes making the sound requirements for the local track (and perhaps some others in Arizona). My second reason for the switch is that Boig's pipes look really nice. From the photos I've seen, the workmanship looks top notch.
    Last edited by GashF16; 08-24-2019 at 02:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    My friend Cathy in Tucson told me say hi. She flies “Poptart”. We are skydiving at Eloy this weekend. Hope to see your project on one of our trips down. Cheers

17. Likes GashF16 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the family GashF16!!! I'm appreciative of your service to the country and much impressed by your build skills having built a plane...and it flies!!

I'm located in Scottsdale and am currently approaching 1 year into my build of my Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe which is outfitted with very similar parts as what you've ordered from FFR and plan to order elsewhere.
    For my Gen 3 Coupe, key things I have on hand are the Gen 2 Coyote+T56 Magnum 6-Speed as build by FFO, IRS, FFR supplied power steering, FFR A/C (a must here in AZ), Ford Mustang GT brakes though, Corbeau Evolution X seats, Boig Quietpipes, the FFR 18"x 9" & 11" Halibrand wheels, BFG Rival S tires (275 & 315), etc.
    My car is currently in the "Back to the Future" phase where the sheet metal has been removed and is out for powder coat painting. You're more than welcome to come on over and check it all out and talk about whatever's on your mind about the Type 65 Coupe, parts selections, the build, etc.
    My FFR Forums Build Thread is Bob's Arizona Gen 3 Coupe Build. I've only input into it very early on, but it has my background and plans at that time. I do plan on a 1 year update very soon. Send me an e-mail if you're interested: [email protected]

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zlinman View Post
    My friend Cathy in Tucson told me say hi. She flies “Poptart”.
    Hey small world! Say hi to Cathy. We need to go fly some formation one of these days. Eloy is always a good meet up for a breakfast burrito and a 4-ship formation flight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Brandle View Post
    Welcome to the family GashF16!!! I'm appreciative of your service to the country and much impressed by your build skills having built a plane...and it flies!!

I'm located in Scottsdale and am currently approaching 1 year into my build of my Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe which is outfitted with very similar parts as what you've ordered from FFR and plan to order elsewhere.
    For my Gen 3 Coupe, key things I have on hand are the Gen 2 Coyote+T56 Magnum 6-Speed as build by FFO, IRS, FFR supplied power steering, FFR A/C (a must here in AZ), Ford Mustang GT brakes though, Corbeau Evolution X seats, Boig Quietpipes, the FFR 18"x 9" & 11" Halibrand wheels, BFG Rival S tires (275 & 315), etc.
    My car is currently in the "Back to the Future" phase where the sheet metal has been removed and is out for powder coat painting. You're more than welcome to come on over and check it all out and talk about whatever's on your mind about the Type 65 Coupe, parts selections, the build, etc.
    My FFR Forums Build Thread is Bob's Arizona Gen 3 Coupe Build. I've only input into it very early on, but it has my background and plans at that time. I do plan on a 1 year update very soon. Send me an e-mail if you're interested: [email protected]

Bob
    Thank you so much Bob! I will definitely take you up on that. It'll be great to see another Coupe build up close and to learn from your experiences so far. I'll shoot you an email right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gash,
    Good luck my friend. I finished my roadster last fall and had a blast building and really enjoy the roadster.

Probably haven’t seen you since the SPIKES. Hope all is well!

Beef
    Joel "Beef" Heft
    LIFE'S JOURNEY is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy Shi*, what a ride!"

FFR MK3 #4306, 05 Mustang 4.6L 3V, 5 Speed, IRS, Dual Roll Bars, Power Steering and Power Brakes.

22. Likes GashF16 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Beef! Small world indeed. All is well here. I just searched your posts for pics of your Roadster. AMAZING! That interior is sweet. When I get to that point, I'll have to pick your brain on interior ideas. The workmanship on your Roadster is over the top!
    Last edited by GashF16; 08-26-2019 at 12:29 AM.

24. Likes jetheft liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm just doing things around the garage to get ready for the delivery at the end of this month (!) Other than tooling up, building a couple of nice work benches, and installing air conditioning in my garage, I'm spending a lot of time thinking about what to change on my order. Here's what I've done so far:

- Deleted FFR steering wheel; getting the Momo Eagle steering wheel. The flat bottom of their wheel will work better with my legs in the cockpit
    - Deleted FFR seats; getting Corbeau Sportline Evolution X. I had a chance to sit in Bob Brandle's seats in his build and they are nice
    - Deleted FFR headers and side pipes; getting Boig Quiet Pipes (mentioned in this thread above)
    - Deleted FFR wipers; getting Specialty Power Windows WWK2 Complete Universal Wiper Drive Kit
    - Deleted FFR cable clutch; getting the FFR hotrod hydraulic clutch / reservoir instead...and here's where I have a question. Is this a good choice, or should I go with a hydraulic clutch from Forte? I have no idea what the differences are. Does anybody have any experience with this?

- I'm also considering deleting the FFR fuel tank and having them send a fuel cell cage like on the Roadsters. Then I could get a Fuel Safe fuel cell to work in there. This would require some modification, and I'm not sure if the "juice is worth the squeeze". Anybody else doing something like this?
    Last edited by GashF16; 09-03-2019 at 02:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Three responses to your latest post:

- Momo steering wheels are very nice quality, and a flat bottom is a good alternative to a removable steering wheel. Just be aware the Factory Five hub/steering wheel is a non-standard pattern. This is talked about quite a bit. You'll have some work to do to match that steering wheel to existing parts.

- I'm not familiar with the FFR Hot Rod hydraulic clutch setup. Didn't even know they offered something like that. But based on the description: "34158 - Hydraulic Clutch Master Cylinder Kit (requires customer supplied slave cylinder and hydraulic throw-out bearing)," not clear what is provided other than clarifying it's a hydraulic throw-out bearing arrangement. So to your question, the Forte hydraulic clutch setup uses a standard Ford throw-out bearing and clutch arm. Then instead of a cable pulling the clutch arm, Forte provides a hydraulically actuated slave cylinder that pushes the clutch arm. I've used his kit a couple times, and it works fine. For my Coupe I did go with a hydraulic throw-out bearing setup. Specifically a Tilton 6000 series Hydraulic Release Bearing (HRB) part number 60-6104. It was easy to install and based on testing and a couple miles of preliminary driving, very happy with how it works. Smooth and noticeably less effort than the Forte setup in my #8674 Roadster. Some question the reliability and how much has to be taken apart in the event a hydraulic release bearing should fail. But taking a shot at it.

- Plenty of opinions, but I personally wouldn't mess with a fuel cell unless you plan on tracking the car and it's required by rule. Much higher cost, complication, filler arrangement, plus you would need to replace the bladder per schedule to keep it legal. For street cruising, even autocross, the standard Mustang tank is fine IMO.
    Last edited by edwardb; 09-03-2019 at 04:21 PM.

27. Thanks GashF16 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

- Deleted FFR steering wheel; getting the Momo Eagle steering wheel. The flat bottom of their wheel will work better with my legs in the cockpit
    I too was heading in this direction and the credit is tempting but just to have it while you build the car I thought it was worth having around. Poor Dave B at FFR deleted and re-added many items to my order. Also Russ Thompson gave me some solid advice about the FFR hub he said he would redrill and tap the wholes for me at a later date for a MOMO wheel though I don’t think there is anything special involved so I’ll likely do it myself but I’ll figure that whole think out way way later in the build.

If you plan on doing stainless fuel lines, I’d delete the hard fuel lines just cause frankly they are a waste of material and go stainless with AN fittings. I found the FFR supplied brake lines to be good, and easy to bend and where I shortened on I found them easy to flare.

I plan to use Cooltubes by Boig so maybe delete radiator hoses too if you’re planning to do the same.

I like the FFR brake reservoirs I added one to my kit so my front and rear brakes are fully independent and if you’re doing a hydraulic clutch I’d add a third to the order.

29. Thanks GashF16 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good tips guys, thanks. And edwardb, thanks for taking the time to look up part numbers. I notice that you do that a lot in the forum, and it's such a huge help. That extra effort is much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    And edwardb, thanks for taking the time to look up part numbers. I notice that you do that a lot in the forum, and it's such a huge help. That extra effort is much appreciated.
    You're welcome. Thanks for the comments. But truth be known I keep detailed spreadsheets of the contents of my builds. Previous IT career habits still at work. So most of the time I'm just cutting and pasting. Multiple forum members have said how helpful it is, so happy to accommodate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gash...
    Spike here..., I’m envious of your RV8 experience. I flew Vipers and am currently in the Dreamliner out of LAX. MY wife said choose between the RV or the Coupe. I am planning on going to build school as I don’t have the same practical expertise you have after completing a 2500 hour aircraft project. After completing this project she might soften on the next.
    I am new to this forum today and have some basic questions that I would feel comfortable asking a fellow Viper driver

Spike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike68 View Post
    I am new to this forum today and have some basic questions...
    Hi Spike, shoot me a PM here with your email and I'll get in touch. Be warned though, I know next to nothing about building a car. I do know my way around a shop and tools, so I hope to learn fast. And there are certain builder truisms that apply to everything: 1) There's nothing you break or screw up that can't be fixed, fabricated or removed and replaced. 2) You're going to drill a hole in yourself at some point. Hopefully you're using a small bit when it happens, so it hurts less. (That's probably more for airplanes...LOTS of drilling). 3) The lazy man works the hardest. 4) A simple plan is worth a pound of flesh and a thousand hours.

Post Thanks / Like

Update: Getting the shop set up

My Coupe and engine are finished and waiting for Stewart Transportation to pick up! Stewart tells me to expect delivery around October 15, so another 3 weeks to go. In the meantime, I've been busy getting the garage shop all set up. Here's the progress so far:

1. I installed 12 ea. 5000K LED shop lights in the ceiling of my 2-car garage. It's going to be ludicrously bright in there. You can never have too much light in the shop.
    2. I built 2 work benches that are battleship strong, better than anything you'd ever find in a store, and will be around a hundred years from now. The plans are available here. Highly recommended.
    3. Got my Boig Quiet Pipes in the mail this week. They look great. I'll get them ceramic powder coated in a couple weeks.
    4. Got my Wilwood brakes in the mail too.
    5. Bought a new Scotch Brite wheel for the grinder. There's no excuse for burrs on aluminum edges or sharp corners.
    6. Finally, the most important thing of all for this Phoenix kid: air conditioning. I installed a 2-ton mini split AC unit in the garage. I was bored, so did it the hard way. Instead of just drilling a hole in the wall and feeding an ugly line set down the outside of my garage, I cut out drywall and did an internal line set. I'm also taking the opportunity to do some 220V wiring around the garage, because who doesn't want more 220V outlets, right?

I'm really looking forward to the Stewart delivery so that I can stop puttering around an empty shop and start asking lots of stupid questions!
    Last edited by GashF16; 09-24-2019 at 01:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Karl,
    That's GREAT that your kit is ready for pickup by Stewart! A key milestone!! I was going to mention to you that it'll be about three weeks until delivery after your kit is ready. So much depends on loading up the Stewart truck and it's timing, etc. Plus Arizona is usually in the second half of deliveries, even though Stewart's home base is in Phoenix!!

Nice to have large LED shop lights, mine are working out wonderfully.

I'd recommend that you wait on the ceramic coating of the headers and sidepipes until after you've done a trial fitting of them with the engine in the car and body on too. You never know what slight tweeks to the metal or added/adjusted hangers might be needed or desired. Once ceramic coated that's likely not possible. There's no rush here in Arizona to coat or paint them with our low humidity as long as you keep them dry. Keep them in their packaging.

Not to make a specific vendor recommendation, but I'm planning on checking out "Affordable Powder Coating Co." in Phoenix for my Boig Quietpipes ceramic Cerakote coating in Glacier Silver.

FYI, I haven't done much on my coupe the past few weeks having rolled my foot and ankle. I'm just now getting back to being able to walk, gingerly.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, thanks for the tip to wait on coating headers and side pipes. Makes sense. In fact, I think I'll wait to see what yours look like when finished. Affordable Powder Coating Co: is that the same as the business card I took a picture of when I was at your place?

Glad you're back to walking again! Rolling an ankle is no bueno.

Post Thanks / Like
    Karl,
    Different companies. The one you have the bus card photo of is great at regular powder coating, but they don't do the high temp. ceramic coating. FYI, they have a supply on hand (waiting for you?) of Satin Black that matches the FFR chassis Satin Black.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    The long wait is over, and my delivery was yesterday. I’m trekking in Peru right now, so my neighbor was nice enough to meet the Stewart driver and get everything into my garage. I wish the timing could have worked out better to be home for the delivery, but this works too. As soon as I get home from hiking the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, I will launch into the inventory. Now I have something to think about besides my bowl of hot llama milk while sitting at 14,000 feet in the Andes. Here are some pics from my neighbor. Satellite internet is a beautiful thing!

0DF83961-3961-4CC1-B84A-1A0DD641170F.jpeg
    4D5B19F6-BF4D-44FB-9B33-63F46FDA7FE4.jpeg
    A3039C0C-73A4-477B-9FE1-335320A1526A.jpeg
    Building Gen 3 Coupe complete kit / 2018 Gen 3 5.0 Coyote / T-56

Post Thanks / Like
    Now the fun really starts. Sounds like you have a really "rough" life style .... I like it, keep it up.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    CONGRATULATIONS Karl!!! Wonderful trekking trip you're on and now you've got even more exciting fun waiting for your when you return.
    Looking forward to checking it out with you and providing assistance.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm home from my trip and just spent the last 2 days doing inventory and figuring out how to stay organized. It's no small task, but I think it was time well spent. I have 8 items missing, 1 damaged aluminum panel (I think so, see photo below, and 20 items on the POL. The KONI front and rear shocks, as well as the 9.75" drive shaft are among the POL items, so that'll probably end up slowing me down in the early stages. I need to box up all the small metal parts that I want powder coated...hopefully I can remember what box they go in when they come back!

From here on, I'm going to try to keep a steady pace. Nothing too crazy, but my son and I are going to do our best to do something everyday, however small it may be. It seems like managing time, expectations, and the occasional frustration are the keys to completion.

My impression from the manual is that it could really use more photos. There were several brackets, hangars, etc. in the parts inventory that need to have a corresponding photo in the manual, or at least have a part number written on them. I am sort of in the dark on some of these items, so they remain in good old "Box 24", the home of all the loose stuff FFR threw at the last minute so it wouldn't get POL'd. Anyway, as the build progresses, if I can't figure out what some items are, I'll probably ask here with photos.

Edit: Thanks edwardb for showing me how to get full sized photos into my posts!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GashF16; 10-30-2019 at 03:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good progress. You're off to a great start. Some comments. Missing shocks won't hold you up for a really long time. Like until it's time to drive basically. You can completely build the suspensions without them, and they can be bolted on most any time. Tried to figure out how that aluminum piece got bent like that. Wierd. But that's tucked completely up under the dash and you'd never find it in a completed build. If it flattens back out without cracking, which I bet it would since it's not a sharp bend, I'd use it without hesitation. I personally would find a different way to store those glass pieces. Neither are cheap, especially the hatch glass. Makes me nervous just looking at the picture. IMO, spend a few minutes cleaning up those metal parts before powder coating. I especially try to sand/file off all the little nibs left behind from being cut out. By all means, post pictures of any parts you can't figure out. Bunch of us have seen all of them by now, and know what most of them are. There are several ways to do pictures. I used to use Photobucket, but for my Coupe, the build thread is done using the forum's image gallery. Instructions here: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...tures-in-posts. There are a few steps, but goes quickly once you get the hang of it. Enjoy!
    Last edited by edwardb; 10-30-2019 at 06:30 AM.

43. Thanks GashF16 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Totally agree, just bend that aluminum back and move on. Its in a spot you will never see.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

45. Thanks GashF16 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got started assembling components today for real. It's been a long wait to get to this point. All the aluminum panels are out, so here we go! And right off the bat I had my first head scratcher..."where in the world is the hardware to mount the power steering rack? #*@!" Turns out, the sleeves, bolts, nuts and washers are in Box 1i, but the bushings and rack are in Box 18. I felt stupid, but had to call FFR to ask where to find everything. I previously read the inventory sheets, but somehow glossed right over the parts in the first box. Doh! Anyway, FFR was cool about it on the phone. Nice guys. I'm writing this to maybe save somebody else the same dumb phone call.

Square One!

Off to the local powder coat place...they're going to be getting lots of business from me!

I installed 15 very bright LED lights, making it brighter than daylight in here. This is by far the best garage upgrade you can do.
    Last edited by GashF16; 11-01-2019 at 01:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great to see that you're back and now well underway with the build!
    Good looking garage shop. Check out my build thread for a photo to see how I I.D.'d and organized the parts going out for powder coating.
    Agree with EdwardB, remove the laser-cut nub, break all edges and remove any welding splatter, perfect jobs for your build buddy. Same breaking of edges can be advised for the sheet metal pieces that are removed. There are some really razor sharp burrs on some of the cuts.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, good points on taking care of the sharp edges on metal parts, especially things that were laser cut. I have a Scotchbrite wheel on my bench grinder that works perfectly for this, especially aluminum sheet metal. I had to be really meticulous about edge burr removal when building the airplane, since the burrs can cause stress risers and lead to cracking. So now running everything across the Scotchbrite wheel is just second nature for me. We haven't been cut by any metal yet, but I did drop the power steering rack on my finger and now have a big purple fingernail. It's a "builder's badge of honor" I guess. I'm heading over to your build thread to see how you stayed organized with the metal pieces. Thanks for the inputs!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm getting ready to put on my 1" Eibach rear wheel spacers, same ones edwardb used. I see in his thread that I need to cut off the ends of my FF studs to be able to mount my wheels. edwardb, if you read this...how much did you cut off? Just the end part of the studs where there's no thread, or did you go deeper with the cuts, into the threads? I'd like to do the stud cutting now before I press them in. Easier this way, and I'm hoping to only need to cut once.
    Last edited by GashF16; 11-01-2019 at 11:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm getting ready to put on my 1" Eibach rear wheel spacers, same ones edwardb used. I see in his thread that I need to cut off the ends of my FF studs to be able to mount my wheels. edwardb, if you read this...how much did you cut off? Just the end part of the studs where there's no thread, or did you go deeper with the cuts, into the threads? I'd like to do the stud cutting now before I press them in. Easier this way, and I'm hoping to only need to cut once.
    Yes, you need to cut them off so they are below the outside surface of the spacers. My kit came with two different configuration studs that were different lengths. Plus I don't remember exactly how much I cut them and didn't record it. I messed up and got to do one side over as you may have read in my build thread. Because of the different studs which I compounded by not being careful enough. I'm not sure it would be any easier to cut them when loose as opposed to after installed. That way you can confirm the exact amount needed to be lopped off.

51. Thanks GashF16 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=edwardb;386988. I'm not sure it would be any easier to cut them when loose as opposed to after installed. That way you can confirm the exact amount needed to be lopped off.[/QUOTE]

In this case I think you’re right. In the spirit of “measure twice and cut once” looks like its best to get all the parts and pieces stacked together and then go at it with an angle grinder to get the underlying studs flush with the spacer surface.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast