Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Hood/radiator cowl allignment issues

Post Thanks / Like

Hood/radiator cowl allignment issues

Been waiting to install radiator due to back ordered AC condenser but wanted to at least get started on fit and alignment and any mods required. Ran into horizontal plane issues when trying to line everything up. When you tilt the radiator so the cowl plane and hood plane line up it moves the cowl back to far. Huge gap. Cant move bottom in due to radiator hitting the two frame bars at bottom.

When tilting the radiator forward to close the gap it creates a (V) in the horizontal plane that looks like crap. And being the top, hood, grill are going black, proper alignment and flow from one piece to another is critical.

8-20-19 3.jpg8-20-19 4.jpg8-20-19 5.jpg8-20-19 7.jpg

I can figure three options of which none would be to fun

1: tilt radiator to close gap and then slit cowl on right and left top. move everything into alignment and glass back together.
    2: tilt radiator to close gap and build up and shape top of cowl to create the proper plane.
    3: Tilt radiator back to proper plane and then extend hood to close the gaps.

None of these options are very appealing to me. Can anyone help out with something I'm not seeing? How did you deal with this issue. I see in some of the completed pictures they just went with how it fit and did not worry about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have not got that for yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    I struggled with this too. Finally left it with cowl pointing slightly up at front. The others I've seen are the same way. Unless you bend over to purposely look at it, you won't see it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DamnYankee View Post
    I struggled with this too. Finally left it with cowl pointing slightly up at front. The others I've seen are the same way. Unless you bend over to purposely look at it, you won't see it.
    Did you have AC Condenser? With the condenser it pushes it even farther forward and have to lean back even more

Post Thanks / Like
    I have AC condenser and fan shroud.
    I was able to push whole assembly towards engine (as holes in bracket are slotted) and got the angle right. The lower hose is hitting the chassis. I had to cut a few pieces in the fan to allow the shock bolts to clear, but not an issue.
    On hood only had to trim some at rear.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have AC condenser and fan shroud.
    I was able to push whole assembly towards engine (as holes in bracket are slotted) and got the angle right. The lower hose is hitting the chassis. I had to cut a few pieces in the fan to allow the shock bolts to clear, but not an issue.
    On hood only had to trim some at rear.
    Would you mind taking a measurement straight down center of your hood? I think part of my problem may be that they trimmed to much off and hood is a little short.

Post Thanks / Like
    My hood is 35 7/16 down the center.
    Here's another measurement that might help - from tip of radiator cowl bracket to body lip at firewall is 34 1/4.

20190822_084808.jpg 20190822_084830.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    My hood is 35 7/16 down the center.
    Here's another measurement that might help - from tip of radiator cowl bracket to body lip at firewall is 34 1/4.

20190822_084808.jpg 20190822_084830.jpg
    Thanks for the info. That measurement helps. There is something different with mine. If I try to tilt back to close gap to that measurement the bottom of radiator hits the two angled cross bars. Farthest I can get is 34 3/4. And that's with raising the mounts up on bolts bolts a bit. I'm going to play around with it a bit after I get the condenser and see if I can shorten the stand off bushings. Maybe re drill to raise the radiator up on the grill a little bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's how my radiator is mounted. The spacers are 3/4"

20190824_133722.jpg 20190824_133740.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    My measurements that Yankee referenced are: hood down the center - 35 7/8" Not trimmed any. Dash front to radiator top bracket - 35 1/4".
    I did push the radiator top as far toward as possible. Also had to trim the fan shroud for upper shock bolts to clear. My hood fit perfectly with radiator more upright vs. tilted back.
    Lower radiator hose is close, but shielded with more split radiator hose for rub protection.
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    I am trying to figure out the best way to mate the the cowl to the grill, additional attachment points / gasket spacer where do I start

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bnelson View Post
    Been waiting to install radiator due to back ordered AC condenser but wanted to at least get started on fit and alignment and any mods required. Ran into horizontal plane issues when trying to line everything up. When you tilt the radiator so the cowl plane and hood plane line up it moves the cowl back to far. Huge gap. Cant move bottom in due to radiator hitting the two frame bars at bottom.

When tilting the radiator forward to close the gap it creates a (V) in the horizontal plane that looks like crap. And being the top, hood, grill are going black, proper alignment and flow from one piece to another is critical.

8-20-19 3.jpg8-20-19 4.jpg8-20-19 5.jpg8-20-19 7.jpg

I can figure three options of which none would be to fun

1: tilt radiator to close gap and then slit cowl on right and left top. move everything into alignment and glass back together.
    2: tilt radiator to close gap and build up and shape top of cowl to create the proper plane.
    3: Tilt radiator back to proper plane and then extend hood to close the gaps.

None of these options are very appealing to me. Can anyone help out with something I'm not seeing? How did you deal with this issue. I see in some of the completed pictures they just went with how it fit and did not worry about it.
    I wish mine fit that good. Your's is 100% better already, and I've got countless hours of work into mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got frustrated and ended up cutting the front shroud, aligning and glassing back together. Was a bunch of work but it all fits perfect now. I had a heck of a time getting the shroud to fit against the grill. I ended up adding glass in a couple places to get it to fit flush all the way around. I also drilled and taped holes about 6" apart from top of grill sides down to bottom. Installed rubber headed screws. That way I was able to screw them into required depth to hold the shroud out flush to grill and keep it stationary. There are probably better ways but I was just winging it.

14. Likes Sbda4 liked this post