Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Factory visit and now which car to build?

Post Thanks / Like

Factory visit and now which car to build?

Yesterday, I took advantage of some cheap airfares and flew up to Boston for a factory visit. I arrived early in the PM and heard the unmistakable rumble of a roadster roaring into the parking lot. Sure enough, there was Dave doing donuts and wringing out some last minute tweaks to a customers car. Awesome! Dan greeted us and gave us a tour that lasted over an hour. He was great! I asked a bunch of rookie questions and he patiently answered all of them without making me feel bad. Thanks Dan! It looks like business is good and they might be expanding soon. Exciting times! After the tour, I was able to spend a couple of hours in the show room trying on different cars and asking a bunch more questions about options, engines, etc. The bad news is that now I can't decide between the roadster or the 33 hot rod! This will be my first build and I'm curious as to what made others choose the car they did?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same trouble between the roadster + the 65 coupe.

It comes down to - which one exactly was it that you "always wanted"?

Go with that (for now).

Post Thanks / Like
    Caddy Dad,

Ultimately, you will go with what calls to you. For me that was the roadster. As I was getting serious about building an FFR, I was also torn between the roadster and the 33. For me the things that swayed me toward the roadster were the huge builder community and the fact that the kit is a lot more refined than the newer models FFR offers. Those factors helped, but ultimately it was the raw, timeless appeal of the Cobra's mystique and just pain sexy lines that made my mind up for me.

Good luck and go with your gut! You won't regret it.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Like Papa Dave, I went down the same road being torn between the 33 Hot Rod and the MK-4 Roadster and for me the Roadster was a better option.

Though it is not painted the car still turns a few heads.

https://youtu.be/CaRlqMmKIzk
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 08-22-2019 at 10:07 PM.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Saw the 33 Hot Rod and it was the only one in the FFR lineup that would work for me. Of all the FFR cars it is the most blank sheet you could go any direction with and not look out of place. Full fenders -- no fenders. Coupe in the morning and roadster that afternoon. Big tires, no hood, roots blower -- or full fenders, hood, and top. Radical and rowdy looking or refined and classy. But for me it was bad to the bone street legal nine-second race car.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    why a car? Why not a truck? :-)
    FFR 35 p/u # 0014
    I used to think I needed a Rolex watch, now I’d be happier with a Swedish K!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KenWilkinson View Post
    why a car? Why not a truck? :-)
    I thought about it. They had two trucks in the show room and I tried them both on but I really didn't fit in them. Just too tight for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Caddy Dad View Post
    I thought about it. They had two trucks in the show room and I tried them both on but I really didn't fit in them. Just too tight for me.
    Really? more so than the '33? that's surprising....
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    At first I wanted the 65 coupe, but then we saw one at an open house and my wife thought it was too claustrophobic. We spent the day looking at all the awesome customer cars, then went in for a tour and I saw the 289 in the R&D shop. Dan let me in to try it on and that did it for me. My wife tried to talk me into a MKIV (red!), but I was already sold. Fit perfect, I could source a date code 289 block for cheap and it was different than the average bear.

Given two paths in the woods, I will always take the less travelled...
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like
    My choice was easy - I've been dreaming of building the Roadster since I was 16 (although no one called it a roadster back then). Once we finish the current car...that may be a whole other story!

GoDadGo, the car looks great!
    Bob (Building with my son Justin)

MK IV #9040 - Complete kit, IRS, Forte Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Delivered 2/14/17.