Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Transmission Mount Gen III Trim?

Post Thanks / Like

Transmission Mount Gen III Trim?

I am about to drop in a drop in a Coyote and T-56 into my gen III coupe with IRS and I have read that the transmission mount needs to be mounted from underneath instead of on top as shown in the manual. I feel like I understand that and it should be easy enough but I have also seen multiple references to needing to trim the transmission mount a little though I have not seen a picture of where it needs to be trimmed. I am guessing it will be evident what needs to be trimmed with the engine and transmission in place, but I was just trying to get everything ready in advance if possible since I am going to be forcing my family to help me drop in the engine. We are all a bit nervous about it, so I want to try to iron out as many details as I can in advance. Does anyone have a picture of what needs to be trimmed or could someone possibly explain to me so I can get that trimmed. Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm one that found it was necessary to slightly trim the rear transmission mount for the Coyote + T56 combination on the Gen 3 Coupe, and mount the plate on the bottom. The reason was the shifter hit the underneath side of the transmission tunnel frame unless it was mounted on the bottom. I don't remember exactly where I trimmed it. I think around the rear bolt area. But don't quote me on that. Was a year or so ago. This pictures shows how mine is mounted. Trim as needed to fit this direction and you should be good.

Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did mine not that long ago the same way (thanks to edwardb's photos), and it is a tight fit, but I was able to get it to fit without having to trim. In my case it was just slightly oversized (probably about the width of powder coating itself), so I just used the force of the bolts to draw it up into the frame mount until it was flush and it went in just fine. Some frames and plates might be different, but I'd say in my case it was more akin to a light to moderate sanding instead of trimming.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am having a hard time figuring out how to mount the transmission. I got the engine and transmission in but I can't seem to figure out how to get the polyurethane transmission mount to align with the mounting plate. In the instructions there is a plate that attaches the polyurethane mount to the transmission(t-56) that allows it to move side to side. However, when I attach that plate, the only way I can get it to attach to the transmission, it pushes the mount too far to the rear of the car. Are people with Coyote's and t-56s not using the plate? I have tried flipping it around and around trying to get it to line up and I can't figure it out. Can someone look at the pictures below and help please?

IMG_1142.jpg

IMG_1145.jpg

Below is a picture of the mounting plate that is shown in the Gen 2 Coyote install instructions that seems to be moving the mount too far to the rear of the car.

mount plate.PNG
    Last edited by Tree; 09-22-2019 at 12:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, for the T56 you won't use that plate. I remember the instructions being very unclear about that, but I think I asked FFR or found it somewhere here. Just bolt the mount directly to the T56.
    Last edited by Alphamacaroon; 09-22-2019 at 12:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    @Tree - that extra plate you’re using (the last of your three photos) is for the Roadster only. You can remove it entirely and put the polyurethane/steel transmission mount and bolt it directly to the T56. Then simply mount the large steel plate under the frame like you have figured out already.
    Logan's Gen 3 Coupe-R Build
    Ordered 4/23/19 | Delivered 6/29/19 | First Start 8/1/20 | First Drive 9/20/20

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, I was able to get everything bolted together once I removed that plate.

Post Thanks / Like
    The other guys got it right. That adapter plate isn't used. Glad it worked out. As a general comment, the Coyote installation kit that FF is selling (it's on the Coupe order sheet) was designed for the Roadster. Some parts fit the Gen 3 Coupe. Others don't, and not explained in the directions. So keep that in mind.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.