Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Thermo-tec in engine compartment

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thermo-tec in engine compartment

I started installing my sheet metal today. Tedious is the best description. It was suggested to me that the flanges should be underneath for a cleaner look. I really like that idea but I am thinking about just covering the whole panel with Thermo-tec facing the engine bay as well as inside the car under the carpet. I am in Mississippi and the heat is no joke ya'll. 97º with 95% humidity on a normal summer day. I think with the foil on BOTH sides of the footboxes it will really help with the heat. I am also going to install the air vents from ********** to help as well. I am pretty hot natured and I want to enjoy the driving as much as possible. If I put the heat foil on the areas with the arrows will that just look awful? Remember this is going to be a driver for me. I might take it to Cars and Coffee but that would be the extent of showing it.

"Doddmoore," Mitchell Moore on facebook, Follow Tonks347Cobra on Instagram
    MK IV Complete kit, SB Ford 347, Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 500, Moser 8.8 Solid axle, Wilwoods, Power Steering
    My Build Thread: Tonks347, The Baker's Build
    Slow and steady wins the race.

Post Thanks / Like
    You'll have the most room on that side from engine to footbox. I've got plenty with a 351 block. I don't think you'll need it, but it's up to you. You can see that area from the engine compartment, so I kept a clean look and put the seams on the inside of the footbox.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

3. Likes doddmoore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 347 and used the Lizard Skin Sound and Heat product on the inside under the carpet. I do not seem to have any issues with heat from the foot boxes. I did make sure that I sealed all the joints really good with silicone and the Lizard Skin finished off the job very well. IMO, to put the themo shield stuff on the areas you indicated would look bad. You are going to be showing off the engine compartment all the time. I do not think you will feel AS proud opening your hood with that stuff on there as much as you would without. That's just my opinion and it is your build. I rely think you will be fine with it on the inside under the carpet.

Lizard Skin
    IMG_2066.jpg

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

5. Thanks doddmoore thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've done multiple builds and have always put the insulation and carpet on the inside only. That along with making sure all air filtration is 100% blocked and don't ever have any heat issues. There are lots of different insulation options. I've mainly used Lizard Skin (heat and sound product together) but also Damplifier Pro (which I liked a lot) and Dynamat. I personally don't see any advantage of putting the insulation on the engine side, and especially not on both. On hot days, you'll find the sun and heat from just the surroundings in general will wear you out much faster than any perceived heat from the engine compartment.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did a belt & suspender thing regarding footwell & full cockpit heat.

I used it but with the COYOTE there is not much sheetmetal to see. Also on all the other cockpit panels except for the rear bulkhead.

Can't prove a positive or negative with nothing to compare with but in the Carolina Summer no excessive heat in the foot boxes which are also vented through the brake duct openings.

ReflectX is under all the carpeting on the inside of the cockpit.

Car is a DD that was built as a DD but has still taken awards in the few shows I have been too. No one at a C&C has ever commented one way or another about it.

Agree with chasing down & sealing any air leaks from the engine compartment.
    Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 08-24-2019 at 10:45 AM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks guys. I’m going to take them out and get them painted to match my F panels and reinstall. I do want to be as proud as possible. I want people to be wowed with the hood up as well as down.
    "Doddmoore," Mitchell Moore on facebook, Follow Tonks347Cobra on Instagram
    MK IV Complete kit, SB Ford 347, Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 500, Moser 8.8 Solid axle, Wilwoods, Power Steering
    My Build Thread: Tonks347, The Baker's Build
    Slow and steady wins the race.