FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: California guys-question about DMV registration

Post Thanks / Like

California guys-question about DMV registration

Im so close in completing the CA registration process. I have an appointment for my last inspection at the BAR referee next week on August 28, 2019. Unfortunately, my camshaft gear broke and im unable to start the vehicle. Those of you who remember, was running the engine part of that inspection? Or was it just a visual inspection? Im going to register it as ‘1965 body style" and not engine.

If i could tow the vehicle and have it inspected visually would be a great big stress relief for me. I started this process in January and dont know if my DMV paperwork would expire. I already paid taxes and fees.
    build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, he made me start it, and ran it for 5 seconds or so. I have a carb'd 427w SBF, and also SB100 by "Body style." Most of the inspection was visual, PCV valve, proper 'fuel line' vent hoses, etc. I trailered it in, and never had to take it off the trailer.

Probably worth a call to the referee (if you can get his number) and ask him.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Reschedule, fix the engine and take the pressure off of yourself. You're not going to be able to drive it until it's repaired anyways. I got mine inspected the same day of my CHP VIN assignment (process was different then) because someone like yourself had cancelled. It happens.

BTW, I drove mine there, so they knew it ran and didn't ask me to start it. Paperwork does not expire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine was strictly visual and I was not asked to start it up however he knew that I drove it in. I agree it's probably worth a call to the referee to be sure. Also registered as a 1965, the DMV give a time frame to complete the inspection process, but the limited time frame was for the permit to drive it on the street.

Saul
    Last edited by Saul S; 08-24-2019 at 01:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went to talk to 2 referees in person. They both said they he car had to be running. Bummer. They did say my SB100 sequence number is locked in even if I complete the registration next year.
    build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications