Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Other wheel and tire options

Post Thanks / Like

Other wheel and tire options

Hi guys, have a question:

My Coupe will have a high HP engine so I want to have the max amount of rear rubber on the ground, can you tell me what the max rear width is for the gen 3?
    I dont live in the USA so would like to look online, any suggestions or tips on what to look for and what not.

Thx in advance,

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Factory Five lists a 335 fitting in the rear, though there are no tire options in 19" for 335, so you may want to keep wheel size in mind. I recently ordered a set of 19" wheels and plan to use a 325/30/19 tire on a 12" wide wheel, which I think will be as large as tires as I can fit that could also be used on the street. There are not a ton of tire options at the large sizes you will be looking at, so I recommend seeing what is available in your area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thx Tree, the “problem” for me is that I live in Aruba so have very limited choices here. So I will order from the USA.
    Do you know any websites I can look at?
    Thx, Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Not specifically for a coupe but I have been thinking about these. The 18x10 and 18x12. Note they are available in a range of backspacings.
    http://www.team3wheels.com/lt_iii.html
    These are one of the two best autocross tires in the street tire classes and the only ones made in sizes for us.
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...xoCr4sQAvD_BwE
    315 front and 335 rear. I see that a lot of coupe owners need to run wheel spacers on the rear to get the car to look right so these wheels might be a way around that. IE; FFRs Halibrand 18x11 is a 6.46 Backspace so these 12s in same backspace would push the outer edge out by 1 inch.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

5. Likes timsmitaruba liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by timsmitaruba View Post
    Thx Tree, the “problem” for me is that I live in Aruba so have very limited choices here. So I will order from the USA.
    Do you know any websites I can look at?
    Thx, Tim
    I'm glad you put PROBLEM in quotes!!! Having limited choices sucks....living in Aruba, not so much!! Nothing like Baby Back Grill or Smoking Joe's on a Tuesday night!! Do they still do the all you can eat ribs?!!
    New MK4 kit picked up 4/10/23!!!
    SOLD
    MK4 #9759 picked up on 4/3/19
    351C, 3 link, 17's, dual roll bars

7. Thanks timsmitaruba thanked for this post
    Likes timsmitaruba liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    For custom wheels with virtually any diameter or backspace needed, look at Forgestar. Custom made to your specs, usually a few weeks to receive them. Can be powdercoated any color you want. 18" would be the diameter to go with if you want an off-the-shelf 335 (BFG Rival S 1.5 is THE tire to have here). A 335 rear tire would work best on a 13" wide wheel for the ultimate sidewall support and carcass stabilization under extreme lateral load. Having said that, the tire also works just fine on a 12" wide wheel and even an 11" wheel if you don't need the ultimate autocross-winning handling characteristics. You'd still benefit from the big contact patch of the 335 in street driving and forward grip. If you go with a 19" diameter, @Tree is right... no 335 option in 19"....YET. You have a few options in 345 and several in 325 to choose from, though. I wouldn't say you could go wrong with either diameter, just depends on what specific tire you'd like to use. I second @CraigS suggestion to go to TireRack.com to browse and purchase your tires, they really are the best for this.

For the front fitment, I'm still too early in my own build to measure for maximum fitment, but FFR themselves have already given the nod to an 11" wide wheel fitting up front. This would be tires ranging from 295-315 or so. (Down to 285 if you want the extreme sidewall support, and up to 325 if you want the extra tread with and sidewall flex). I run a full set of 305/30R19 race tires (at all four corners) and 305/35R19 street tires (at all four corners) on my 2017 Mustang GT, and these will be used on my Gen 3 Coupe-R for go-karting purposes and measuring reference when I get to that point. I will order custom wheels in the largest size possible once I figure that out. Stay tuned for that one...
    Logan's Gen 3 Coupe-R Build
    Ordered 4/23/19 | Delivered 6/29/19 | First Start 8/1/20 | First Drive 9/20/20

Post Thanks / Like
    Ooh yes

10. Likes Higgybulin liked this post