Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Removing Flywheel with Engine Stand

Post Thanks / Like

Removing Flywheel with Engine Stand

Guys,

Every photo I see of an engine attached to an engine stand the flywheel is removed. Is this the recommend practice or can the the engine be mounted to the stand with the flywheel?

Second question, when installing the Moroso oil pan to a Gen 1 Coyote crate engine do you need a new Moroso oil pickup or is the one in the crate engine sufficient?

Damien

Post Thanks / Like
    Most flywheels can be installed on the engine when it is on the stand, you just have to make spacers,(or a stack of washers and longer bolts) to space the engine out further to make up the flywheel thickness. I prefer to mount the flywheel when ever I'm building an engine. Can't answer your second question, never worked on a coyote.

Post Thanks / Like
    Moroso pan comes with pickup and O-ring. Mount the pan with the engine up right.... ensures trap doors are not trapped in the up position, per Moroso.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ggunter View Post
    Most flywheels can be installed on the engine when it is on the stand, you just have to make spacers,(or a stack of washers and longer bolts) to space the engine out further to make up the flywheel thickness. I prefer to mount the flywheel when ever I'm building an engine. Can't answer your second question, never worked on a coyote.
    I'm changing out the oil pan on my Coyote. I would like to put the engine on the stand with the flywheel attached. Most photos I've seen have the flywheel removed. I have mounted the engine with flywheel to the stand in the past. It's really a close fit. So I'm looking for the reasons why I should remove the flywheel.

Post Thanks / Like
    I only have the Moroso 20570 oil pan. I thought I could use the pick up that was stock on the Coyote. So I will need to purchase the Moroso pickup?

Post Thanks / Like
    I had my engine on a stand with the flywheel on. Not a problem. YES, You need a Moroso oil pick-up
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like

MOROSO pickup is an exact fit into the pan's oil trap. Easy install with the factory or aftermarket combination windage tray & pan gasket.
    Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 10-20-2020 at 06:09 AM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of (cheap - harbor freight) engine stands need extra spacers and longer bolts before you have room for the flywheel.

Extra room yet if you want to get a torque wrench in there.

Most work where an engine is going on the stand - the flywheel's coming off anyway...

Post Thanks / Like
    On the flywheel installation,,,,might want to make sure you have the spacer plate on the back of the engine. The flywheel bolts are "use once" items. If you tq down the flywheel and have to remove it, new bolts are recommended.
    You might be able to put the spacer plate on, with the flywheel on,,, cannot remember,,,, but need to check it out.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the great information.

Damien

Post Thanks / Like
    A while back a comment was made, "Don't forget the o-ring for the pickup tube." Is this o-ring builder supplied or is it included with the Moroso pickup tube and where is it installed on the pickup tube?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Put the Coyote with the flywheel on the engine stand. The mounting bolts I used were long, 110 mm, not a good idea. Removed the flywheel and used M 10-1.5 X 80 mm bolts and had an exact fit. Got everything setup and was installing the oil pan pickup at the o-ring end and noticed that the standard 10 mm socket wall was too thick to access one of the two 10 mm bolts. Will try a deep (thin wall) 10 mm socket. Guess it's time to get a set of deep metric sockets anyway. My buddy wanted me to ask if anyone else notice this problem with the 10 mm bolt? He just thought the manufacturer should have planned this better.

Thanks,

Damien