FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Engine overheated

Post Thanks / Like

Engine overheated

So yesterday I’m driving my roadster about 30 min all seemed fine stopped at auto parts store for about 10 min, within 5 min of leaving temp was 250, stopped immediately and found fan relay was out. Engine sounded fine, no coolant leaks or steam anywhere , oil looks good, not absolutely sure it wasn’t hot before I stopped at the auto parts store, but I know it was working at some point as I saw temp stabilize after it reached 195 on the way there. Did I do any damage?

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You're probably A-Okay, but change the oil just to make sure.
    Also, consider wiring in a radiator fan override switch.
    As for me, my fan runs 100% of the time.
    Fans are cheap compared to engines.

Good Luck From The Dark Dart Side!
    https://www.factoryfive.com/whats-ne...-mk4-roadster/

Post Thanks / Like
    If the water/anti freeze didn't boil...then you should be good to go.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    My F550 with the Scorpion engine runs 245-degrees running up the grades out here in the mountain west -- no problemo. https://www.hotrod.com/articles/engine-oil-temperature/
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    As already stated, as long as it didn't boil over you should be OK. A 50 50 coolant mixture and a 16 pound cap should have kept you safe.

Just for your info, boiling creates pockets of steam in the heads and block. These pockets cause extreme hot spots in the surrounding metal because there's no fluid to carry the heat away. This leads to cracks, warped heads, blown head gaskets and rings that have lost their temper.
    You'll know pretty quickly if something got hurt. It will start puking coolant and/or making blue smoke.
    Mk4 base kit 7721, 331 Stroker, Holley Sniper EFI, Wipers, Heater, Whitby Soft Top, Drop trunk mod and more

Post Thanks / Like
    I am hopeful you are OK. I did the same to my 351. Kept checking afterwards and finally, maybe 3 months later, I forgot about it. Best luck to you.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate everyone’s input and suggestions. Yeah that shook me up pretty good, I thought I was keeping a relatively close eye on all my gauges when driving but obviously not close enough, I might need idiot lights.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't overthink this -- you saw the higher than normal ECT and reacted. The 250-deg ECT is not going to make the Earth spin out of orbit and plummet into the Sun. Now I'm not recommending running your ECT at 250, but if that's the worst thing you did I also wouldn't worry about it unless it started puking coolant because you had a lower pressure cap with a higher pressure pump or not enough recovery tank capacity. If you have a typical 50% anti-freeze mixture it will boil (turn to a gas) at 265-degrees under 15 PSI so even a 16lb cap should provide you with some margin from boil-over at 250-degrees ECT. But running that temp vs say 190-deg WILL require more recovery tank volume so if your coolant tank is marginal at your normal temp you may see coolant puke out the catch tank. This will lead to lowering your total coolant fill as coolant expands when heated and the more heat the more expansion.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    As others have stated, not to worry. Now had you boiled half the coolant out and kept on driving then yes you'd have to worry. Many new cars operate near that temp. I wouldn't even waste the time changing the oil, as the two don't really relate in this case.
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint