Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  8

Thread: Trunk mounted air conditioning

Post Thanks / Like

Trunk mounted air conditioning

Anyone take on a trunk mounted air conditioner in the roadster. I know real estate is limited and thef ring mounted units might not be as effective due to the small size. I'm thinking of front mounted compressor with everything else I the trunk? Or am I just crazy?
    Thanks in advance for feedback?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it is certainly possible. The one thought I have though is you run the freon through long tubes to get it to the trunk and back to the compressor, and then you would somehow need to run the cold air back to the front. Not impossible but I don't think cold air coming out of the rear of the cockpit would do much good as we are all used to having AC vents in the dash and footwell. Second thought, how about using a compressor from a hybrid. I worked on Lexus and their first hybrid was the medium size SUV RX350. The compressor was maybe 1.5 times normal size because it included an electric motor to spin it. In that case keeping the battery in the back would make sense since you need a really heavy wire to the compressor.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know that FormaCars does their custom AC in the trunk. Not sure of the specifics on their system, but clearly they prefer that setup - and it still allows for a glove box with vents in the dash and footboxes. Might want to give them a call and get some advice.

Shack

4. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you did not want to run electric pump keep pump in front and hose to back, the cold air could come in the back.
    I put condenser in trunk and heat exchanger. If i was starting over i would think about putting in back.
    This is a 33.IMG_8513.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes it's fun to be different and engineer things just to be different. Common sense goes out the window as excitement builds around a new idea, I tend to do that. When cars first started having AC, the evaporator was in the trunk and the vents came up behind the rear seats in front of the rear window. Time, logic, reason, and efficiency moved the components to the locations now found in the majority of the production cars today. Anything can be done but why waste the little trunk space available for AC when it can be put in places already available?
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1932 View Post
    If you did not want to run electric pump keep pump in front and hose to back, the cold air could come in the back.
    I put condenser in trunk and heat exchanger. If i was starting over i would think about putting in back.
    This is a 33.IMG_8513.JPG
    Amazing work,well done. Something I never thought to do on my '33. Put a rumble seat back there. Do not have a roof on the roadster so not something I would do with it. With the COYOTE I think the trunk would be your only choice.

I would definitely do it, now that I know you can, living in NC on the Daytona or FFR Truck.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    There is someone on the forum, maybe the other one, that has done it.

I have to agree with 2bking. There is usually a good reason why pretty much everyone does a certain thing a particular way.

A friend told me that there is a P/S, A/C setup for the Coyote. Found one on Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQHA-a-GtQU

9. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the feedback!

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you been in a car with a/c in the seats? I think you should look into pushing the air into the seats and maybe coming out from under the front of the seat
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the comment regarding "limited real estate" for the compressor and related with the engine? Or the evaporator, hoses, etc. in the dash? Both have been done repeatedly, so I agree this isn't an area to reinvent the wheel. But each has different concerns.

Regarding the Coyote, that tdmotion front runner system is nice. But a standard Mustang compressor can be installed in the stock location with the stock belts. If power steering is desired, the KRC system installs above it and is driven off the water pump pulley. It's a clean setup and works with any of the generation Coyotes.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I was more concerned with the equipment behind the dash. I have cooled seats in my truck now and love it. So the idea that was bouncing in my head was an attempt to install a heavier duty setup in the truck to provide air to the seats and possibly send some air toward the neck area to keep me cool on hot summer days sitting in traffic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris with FormaCars. Yes we have installed A/C in the trunk twice. While it works well, it is too complicated to build and install and challenging to maintain. Additionally, if something goes wrong, it is necessary to remove the body to work on it.
    For our we had Heat, A/C and defrost. Too much duct work in too little space.
    We are in the process of developing a new unit that will package under the hood and will provide heat to both foot boxes, 4 A/C dash vents, and two defrost vents. We think it will be competitively priced for the unit with basic controls (three knobs for Fan, blend air, and temp). Later we will be adding seat heat and cooling, touch screen controls, individual driver and passenger temp controls, etc. First unitis will be available early December. We are already have plans to install one in a coupe and a roadster in our shop, however, we are looking for someone to do an installaion in the field before we release the product to market. Tester will get the product at a substantial discount in exchange for helping us evaluate the kit. If you are interested, please call me at your convenience. 6145713927.

Thanks,

Chris
    Chris

15. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris @ Forma View Post
    Chris with FormaCars. Yes we have installed A/C in the trunk twice. While it works well, it is too complicated to build and install and challenging to maintain. Additionally, if something goes wrong, it is necessary to remove the body to work on it.
    We are in the process of developing a new unit that will package under the hood and will provide heat to both foot boxes, 4 A/C dash vents, and two defrost vents. We think it will be competitively priced for the unit with basic controls (three knobs for Fan, blend air, and temp). Later we will be adding seat heat and cooling, touch screen controls, individual driver and passenger temp controls, etc. First unitis will be available early December. We are already have plans to install one in a coupe and a roadster in our shop, however, we are looking for someone to do an installaion in the field before we release the product to market. Tester will get the product at a substantial discount in exchange for helping us evaluate the kit. If you are interested, please call me at your convenience. 6145713927.

Thanks,

Chris
    What, no massage function???

I think you will sell quite a few of these.

17. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Dang. That’s awesome. I wish I could be a test case.

Thanks,

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder how much a good fan would do to move air through the seats. One would need some really porous fabric but a fan for each seat would be pretty easy to do.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

20. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    I wonder how much a good fan would do to move air through the seats. One would need some really porous fabric but a fan for each seat would be pretty easy to do.
    We have two cars with the cooled seats. They are actually ventilated by two fans mounted under the seat. The fans draw air away from the rider. The seats are leather with small perforations on the seat bottom and backs. We have the same in our motorcoach, and both work well. They use whisper fans to move the air.
    FFR MKIV ordered 12 July 2019. IRS, Wilwood Brakes, 18" Wheels w/MT tires, power steering, EFI, Heat. 347 Dart w/TKO-600 by Mike Forte, Holley FI, MSD coil and CD box. All new, no donor build.

Post Thanks / Like
    We have been selling AC systems for about 18 years at a very competitive price. There are limits. Space is the number one limit. There just isn't really any space to put the system. As far as selling a bunch, not so much. We sell several a year, not bunch. We have the plenums made 20 at a time and it takes a while to get rid of 20. Also AC is great in a very enclosed car, not in a leaky open top car. It works fine, blows cold and does all it can do in rough environment. JMHO, Richard.
    http://www.northracecars.com/AirCon.html
    Richard Oben FFR builder www.northracecars.com

Need help finishing your project we can help here or at your shop.

FFR GTM #34 first GTM with working AC. 400 hp LS1 w/G50
    FFR coupe 3617CP 331 Stack EFI T-5 IRS Cobra brakes, AC/heat.
    Both cars by NRC, we can build (and have built) any FFR product.
    We also make and sell a ton of great parts for the FFR community.
    Brake kits, AC systems, #1 supplier of Team III wheels.

23. Thanks Aircontroller, John4337 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Richard is right, there definitely is limited space . An engineering feat for sure to get the best you can out of it. I think we are all in fair agreement that it does have an impact on comfort. If anything you are able to extend your driving seasons with additional amenities. Cooled seats and AC help keep you from sweating at stop lights or slow traffic and heat and heated seats help you stay warm when driving in the 32 degree and below winter months. I think for some locations in the sweltering summer months where it is so hot outside you are going to sweat just by opening your door it may have less impact, but in the does make a difference.

We often have customers in Arizona call in and they do not want AC. They don't think it will make that much of a difference . But, AZ driving season is in the Winter months. AZ people feel free to chime in!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Oben View Post
    We have been selling AC systems for about 18 years at a very competitive price. There are limits. Space is the number one limit. There just isn't really any space to put the system. As far as selling a bunch, not so much. We sell several a year, not bunch. We have the plenums made 20 at a time and it takes a while to get rid of 20. Also AC is great in a very enclosed car, not in a leaky open top car. It works fine, blows cold and does all it can do in rough environment. JMHO, Richard.
    http://www.northracecars.com/AirCon.html

25. Likes Aircontroller, Joseph liked this post
    25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks,

Chris
    any more details on this setup? would love to see a post around this!
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have Richards system, including the plenum. It works as well can be expected considering the leaky environment. With the top on and side curtains in, its keeps you comfortable, but air leaks and so forth take a toll. It really shines in the rain, does great at knocking the humidity down and, with the plenum, keeps the windscreen clear. I would think routing all the lines to the trunk would be challenging, but it to each their own.

Keep us posted

John
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Curious what cooled seat brand you choose. We are relatively close in temperature and my back is soaking wet when I get out of my car. I have been doing research but have grown leary of "reviews" by others.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks,

Chris
    Just curious on the status of the new system you were developing for the roadster? Any updates?

Post Thanks / Like
    This is how you get cooled (and heated) seats without adding AC.

https://www.leatherseats.com/shop/se...ndividual.html
    Michael aka @my_cobra_build on Instagram
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Base MK IV Roadster with several options. Body is Lamborghini Grigio Lynx w/ Audi Vesuvius Gray stripes. 25th Anniversary FFR wheels. Seats and interior by Intatrim.
    Gen1 Coyote w/ Comp Cams & Cobrajet manifold. Tremec TKO 600 w/ a midshift kit. 2015 IRS w/ 3.73 Torsen diff. FFR Headers, Gas N Pipes, Power steering & power brakes.