Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Body Cradle & Tires

Post Thanks / Like

Body Cradle & Tires

I have not made it to the build school yet but had to build my cradle now since my kit will be here shortly. The dimensions are very specific for the cradle. How much tolerance is there on this? I don't want to accidentally warp the body while I build the main chasis. Any special ideas for this part?

Can I get recommendations of who to call for 15" tires? I want to keep with a more classic look. My Mk4 will be for shows and occasional weekend driving.

Thanks guys,
    Carl

Post Thanks / Like
    The dimensions on the body buck are not particularly critical. Distribute the weight across a number of contact points, and you're good. Some guys have hung the body for a year or more just using hooks on the lip of the wheel wells with no ill effects. Back in the day, F5 used to store their bodies in the grass behind the warehouse with no support at all.

I've got nothing on 15" tires.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Your choices for 15 inch tires are pretty limited. I originally had BFGoodrich Radial T/A's on my Mk 3.1 and eventually swapped them for Mickey Thompson Sportaman S/T's You can also look at Cooper Cobra's, but my understanding is that Cooper Tire now owns the M/T brand. Due to the limited tire offerings, I went with 17' rims on my new build. Many more choices available than what I expected.

Scott
    Built FFR9457. 351 Windsor, TKO600, 3.73. Fitech EFI. Russ Thompson throttle pedal, turn signal, and trunk pan. Carbon Fiber dash with Speedhut Revolution gauges. Paint by Jeff Kleiner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another MT tire is this one.
    https://www.mickeythompsontires.com/.../sportsman-s-r
    Front is 26x10 and rear is 26x12.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    OR, buy a set of Avons I think they are made of glue, not rubber.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks-wise, since you are talking about shows, Goodyear Billboards or Avons look great. There are some pretty big compromises to driving on them, not to mention that they are not street legal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Avons are street legal