Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Parking Brake - Wilwood MC4 - FFR818

Post Thanks / Like

Parking Brake - Wilwood MC4 - FFR818

I'm really quite pleased with myself and wanted to share here. So I found myself with no solution for an e-brake/parking brake and came up with this.

Basically, I went with a foolishly high horsepower motor (497 rwhp based on last dyno run) and needed heavy custom axles and therefore needed to use an STI knuckle. The STI knuckle I used was from a 2004 STI since I wanted 5x100 to match my wheels (which I'm going to replace anyway, so turns out that was dumb). Anyways, the STI knuckle works with the WRX-intended big brake kit from Wilwood so long as you don't try to use the e-brake setup. (The Wilwood big brake kit, I purchased from Factory Five but its intended for a 2007 WRX, not an STI).

So, that's a long story to say that I now had a car with 6 pot fronts, 4 pot rears on a 12.88"x1.1" rotor and no parking brake.

Then I thought hey, Wilwood makes an MC4 mechanically operated parking brake caliper. I'll use that. I order them and it turns out it only fits a 12.88x0.8" rotor. <sigh>

So I extended the caliper bridge to fit the 1.1" rotor and made a custom mount and I'm very happy with the result and look!

Anyways, here is the car and the parking brake setup works mint!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Likes AZPete, Bob_n_Cincy, DSR-3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice solution! A big part of the fun building is finding innovative ways to solve a problem. Congrats.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

4. Likes Bob_n_Cincy liked this post

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    Really well done - thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Look good!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wilwood also do a 4 pot caliper with a integral handbrake assembly, not listed in most of their catalogs
    Wilwood Powerlite calipers 120-13517
    I used them on a buggy, not my 818
    wilwood.jpg
    They wouldn't have fitted your configuration, but may be of interest to others
    120-13517
    Piston Size / Count: 1.00" / 4
    Rotor Diameter / Width : 9.5"-11.25" / 0.81"
    Mount Type / Location: Radial / Universal
    Finish: Black Anodize
    Last edited by DodgyTim; 09-01-2019 at 06:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nicely done