Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Steering issue

Post Thanks / Like

Steering issue

I have MK 4 with Rack and pinion steering I didnt think I needed power stering but here in Michigan the roads can be sometines less than faverable.
    Not many miles on the car yet but the other day it scared the sh_t out of me when I hit bump and the car over steared severly both directions.
    The car has been aligned and has a sway bar, is there a way to tighten up the rack to slow this problem down or do I need power steering

Post Thanks / Like
    Difficult to diagnose from a distance but it sure sounds like you have a very bad case of bumpsteer. If so, changes to rack or power steering will not change this, need to address the geometry issue.
    JMO
    Dave
    Mk IV, 347 AFR heads, WC T5, Solid Axle 3.73

Post Thanks / Like
    Need more info. Donor spindles or FFR? If FFR are the tie rod nuts on the top of the steering arm? Pretty sure Factory Five has solved most of the bumpsteer issues.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    What kind of front tire pressure are you running?
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you mean true oversteer? The back end was sliding sideways one way then the other?
    Front or rear sway bar?
    What were you doing when you hit the bump? Straight, cornering, accelerating, braking?
    2017 FFR MK4 9026, 3 Link, 15" FFR halibrands, cooper cobra tires, '88 302/5.0, GT40 Y303 heads, Performer RPM intake Manifold, Holley 650 DP Carb, Pertronix distributor, T5Z spec built transmission, 3.73 rear end. Ordered Nov 2016, picked up at FFR Feb 2017, first start July 2017, Legal on the road May 2018, still in Gelcoat.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like others have said, not enough info to determine what the likely cause. Think you should start with a grounding in terminology -- most will understand "oversteer" as the rear sliding (traction loss) or sometimes called "loose". I suspect you may have experienced bump steer but I have also experienced the wheel being forced to turn from a big impact (think pot hole) and this always comes with the steering wheel being jerked hard. Since you said it oversteered in both directions I'd think this is more likely what you experienced if you tell me that the steering wheel gave you a big jerk. If this is the case, the steering in both directions comes first from the initial impact and second from your reaction to the wheel being jerked hard.

Power steering won't help bump steer but may help reduce the uncommanded steering inputs from a wheel impacting a pot hole. Anything that reduces the steering effort will also help this as will adding a steering damper. If you have rather quick steering, rough roads in general will cause uncommanded steering inputs. One driver trick to mitigate this is to drive with your elbows tucked in close to your sides. It will lessen your unintentional steering inputs from your body being tossed around during a rough ride.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Power steering can help in one way. W/ PS you can run more caster. This raises the height of the steering arm end where the tierod attaches. This usually helps w/ bumpsteer. The two MkIVs I have checked, both w/ FFR spindles, the bump steer was almost perfect w/ +6.5 deg. caster.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure about the FFR roadsters, but typically if you have bad bump steer or "death wobble" something is not aligned properly.
    FFR MKIV ordered 12 July 2019. IRS, Wilwood Brakes, 18" Wheels w/MT tires, power steering, EFI, Heat. 347 Dart w/TKO-600 by Mike Forte, Holley FI, MSD coil and CD box. All new, no donor build.

9. Thanks AROCK thanked for this post
    Likes AROCK liked this post
    "The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Death wobble is not the same as bump steer and death wobble is not caused by alignment unless you want to include modified suspension, and incorrectly installed or worn components under alignment. It is mostly found in solid front axle vehicles like 4X4s that have been altered such as lifting or the components are seriously worn. This condition can be very annoying to downright dangerous but is not what the OP described. In a death wobble the front tires will rapidly oscillate and the steering wheel will shake hard. This may last until you lightly apply the brakes or slow your speed. Anyone that has experienced this will never associate it with bump steer.

Bump steer is a suspension geometry issue that causes uncommanded steering input of one or both tires when the suspension travels through compression and rebound. The steering wheel typically does not move from bump steer, however, it may seem to move as you unconsciously react to correct the uncommanded turn.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    Death wobble is not the same as bump steer and death wobble is not caused by alignment unless you want to include modified suspension, and incorrectly installed or worn components under alignment. It is mostly found in solid front axle vehicles like 4X4s that have been altered such as lifting or the components are seriously worn. This condition can be very annoying to downright dangerous but is not what the OP described. In a death wobble the front tires will rapidly oscillate and the steering wheel will shake hard. This may last until you lightly apply the brakes or slow your speed. Anyone that has experienced this will never associate it with bump steer.

Bump steer is a suspension geometry issue that causes uncommanded steering input of one or both tires when the suspension travels through compression and rebound. The steering wheel typically does not move from bump steer, however, it may seem to move as you unconsciously react to correct the uncommanded turn.
    My experiences are different. I had a new IFS 2015 Toyota with less than 1500 miles pull a death wobble when hitting a bump just right. It was due to an alignment issue along with a bump steer issue. An alignment fixed both. I know that Ford had some issues with their SUVs and trucks. The fix was to increase the caster, replace/adjust the track bar and replace the steering dampener. But I do agree on it being more prevalent with 4x4's and solid axles, especially with cheap/extreme and poorly installed lift kits.
    FFR MKIV ordered 12 July 2019. IRS, Wilwood Brakes, 18" Wheels w/MT tires, power steering, EFI, Heat. 347 Dart w/TKO-600 by Mike Forte, Holley FI, MSD coil and CD box. All new, no donor build.

Post Thanks / Like
    32-33

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to address my terminology and try to explain it better I need to go home and look for additional information Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Front sway bar and I was going straight 4th gear just normal acceleration speed about 40

Post Thanks / Like
    FFR and the nuts are on the bottom I think, I'll get back to you

Post Thanks / Like
    going straight not accelerating just a lot of input to keep it going straight

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll check my alignment spec sheet to see the setting

Post Thanks / Like
    It tracks straight on a smooth level surface and was aligned on a Hunter

Post Thanks / Like
    yes on the terminology I might not have explained correctly. It wasn't a pot hole more like 5 ft of rough and uneven black top. The problem was I was able over correct very easily not as common in automobiles made to todays standards. I just wish there was a way to tighten up that feel, it was to say at least surprising.
    Last edited by Michael R; 08-28-2019 at 02:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    1st - If you answer in post #11 (32-33) is tire pressure, you are running WAY TOO MUCH!! Normal for our cars is 22-23 with the rears having a pound or two higher than the fronts. Your tires are pumped up so high that they don't have any chance for the sidewalls to work.

2nd - What alignment specs are you running with your manual steering, mostly toe-in / toe-out spec?

3rd - How many turn, lock-to-lock in your steering? quick ratios will compound a bump steer issue. That being said, F5 has almost completely eliminated bump steer issues with the MK-IV and their newest spindles.

We all need more information to help you with your issue . . .

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    32-33
    If this is your tire pressure then as Big Blocker said it is WAAAAY too high. 22-23 would be appropriate

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    FFR and the nuts are on the bottom I think, I'll get back to you
    If this is in answer to to the type of spindles and whether the tie rod nuts are top or bottom the steering arms and tie rods are assembled incorrectly. The steering arms should angle outward from the spindle, the tapered hole should be wide at the bottom and tie rods installed so that the tapered stud goes in from below with the nut on top. If they truly were installed opposite with the rods above the steering arm it would induce a great deal of bump steer.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Pictures would really help.