Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roadster seats

Post Thanks / Like

Roadster seats

I've been doing some searching and looking at pics, but not really finding a bulk of info beyond 2 or 3 seats.

I spent 4 hours installing the passenger 17" Kirkey hiback (edit to add: Kirkey 47 Intermediate Road Race seat) in my car today, and came to a Eureka conclusion. I dont like em.

I love the way they look in other cars, but in my car, I see the way they bolt in crooked, the outboard shoulder bolster is bent almost 90* to fit in the car (inboard is not) and the fabric cover does not really match up. I am not saying I dont like other folks cars on here, I love all the roadsters, but this is just not making me happy in my car.

So what have ya got? I'm interested in some hibacks, has to have shoulder belt holes. Maybe something with less shoulder wing but still "fits".
    I'd like to see what others have done, what you had to do to make em fit, what did you do different.

If there's not a good fitting, good looking, quality hiback out there that fits, I may just go back to F5 seats to get me by for now...

Lets see what ya got.
    Last edited by Boydster; 08-28-2019 at 12:46 AM.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure what Kirkey seat you have, but I never thought the shoulder bolsters would suit me in a roadster.

Have a look at the Kirkey 55 series - I'm pretty happy with mine.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...ibanner=SREPD5

Post Thanks / Like
    Kirkey makes that same seat without the shoulder bolsters. Had I known that ahead of time I think I would have used those instead. Maybe an option of course they will still bolt in the same.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been looking at new seats as well. The Cobra Clubman that Sube Motorsports sells is very nice. Sat in some this past weekend. There are a slew of choices I've found, but, some limiting factors are:
    - Depth - If you have a floor mounted e-brake, you will need to pay attention that measurement from the rear bulkhead to the e- brake.
    - Width - Self explanatory, but, you do have more than 17" of mounting area, just makes other things fit tighter
    - Height - as you mentioned, some of the high back seats are, too tall. The Cobra Clubman is a good compromise.

Other factors i've been considering is track time, how much and how much side support does the seat offer. Sparco (Sprint, R100, R333 and F200 are all possibilities), Corbeau (Trailcat & LG1), as well as seats from MOMO and OMP. I'll be following to see some pics. I currently have the Factory Five High back seats(can't think of the name) in mine. I like them, but wish they were a little wider as they provide great support side to side.

Good luck!
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike223 View Post
    Not sure what Kirkey seat you have, but I never thought the shoulder bolsters would suit me in a roadster.

Have a look at the Kirkey 55 series - I'm pretty happy with mine.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...ibanner=SREPD5
    I've got the 47 Intermediate road race seat. These 55's would certainly make the mounting much easier... its all in those should bolsters and keeping them off the paint even after bending 90*. Do you have some pictures of these 55's in your car?
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    Kirkey makes that same seat without the shoulder bolsters. Had I known that ahead of time I think I would have used those instead. Maybe an option of course they will still bolt in the same.
    Scott, your car was one of the ones I looked at and loved the seats. I've also ridden in an F5 with the seats and liked em. It was just as soon as I put one in my car, I backed off, ready to go "Yeah!" and instead said "What have I done...".

The shoulder bolster less 55 is mentioned above. I'm a bit concerned with how tall and skinny that back may look.

Still looking at options, but thanks.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Venom View Post
    I've been looking at new seats as well. The Cobra Clubman that Sube Motorsports sells is very nice. Sat in some this past weekend. There are a slew of choices I've found, but, some limiting factors are:
    - Depth - If you have a floor mounted e-brake, you will need to pay attention that measurement from the rear bulkhead to the e- brake.
    - Width - Self explanatory, but, you do have more than 17" of mounting area, just makes other things fit tighter
    - Height - as you mentioned, some of the high back seats are, too tall. The Cobra Clubman is a good compromise.

Other factors i've been considering is track time, how much and how much side support does the seat offer. Sparco (Sprint, R100, R333 and F200 are all possibilities), Corbeau (Trailcat & LG1), as well as seats from MOMO and OMP. I'll be following to see some pics. I currently have the Factory Five High back seats(can't think of the name) in mine. I like them, but wish they were a little wider as they provide great support side to side.

Good luck!
    Tim
    Thanks Tim. I do not have the side mounted e-brake... mine is up on the console top. Some nice choices in there that you listed...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    My Grandaughter loves the Kirkey highbacks when she comes to hang out with me in the shop!

I agree, aesthetically they aren't for everyone. The Factory Five highback mentioned was called "Street Performer" and I'm about 95% sure this is what Tim has. They no longer offer them but they were the same seat as the Subesports Cobra Clubman but with a lower grade fabric that was prone to fading. I have them in my personal car and really like them but big guys or those who are wide in the hips may find that they don't fit so well (I'm 5'9, 160#). They will fit into the roadster without much grief---their placement is a little more critical than the classic lowback roadster seats but not near as finicky as with the highback Kirkeys. They offer good support on the track and remain perfectly comfortable after several hours on the road. Maybe you can find somebody in your area who has them so you can go do a "test sit". Good luck!

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    A caution re; seat angle. Nearly any seat, unless you find a super narrow one will need to be mounted at an angle closer to parallel to the tunnel than parallel to the door. Another thing to consider is modifying what you have. The edge trim aluminum can be purchased. I got mine from Ultrashield since they made my seat. But I am pretty sure Kirkey will sell it to. So you could cut down the wings or other areas and leave the trim welding til you are satisfied w/ your mod. This my seat. W/ the top on I had a hard time getting in and out over the left bolster. So I cut it down and welded on a piece of 1/8x1.5 inch flat aluminum to make a wide shelf I could slide over to get my butt into the seat.
    Ultrashield by craig stuard, on Flickr
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jeff and Craig. The Clubman is certainly a good option, but I'm afraid it may be a bit too, um, narrow for me. I'm kind of a cinder block. Sparco and Corbeau make some seats than run in the 20" wide shoulder area, and some have a bit more hiproom.

Craig, I will certainly keep the idea of modifying something to work in mind. But I'm also not a welder nor do I sew, so anything there will have to be farmed out. But it opens the possibilities...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, and Craig, when I mounted this passenger Kirkey 47, I did mount it parallel to and right up against the trans tunnel, trying to get the shoulder as far away from the cockpit back corner with as little bending as possible. I found a good way to make it fit, it's just that what looked great in a gocart didn't translate over to the car.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydster View Post
    Do you have some pictures of these 55's in your car?
    I've got mine torn apart at the moment, but here are some pics I scrounged off google.

I think the maroon car (last two pics) belongs to member "Dallas" - maybe he will provide some better seat pics.

Qwik1 2003 open house 5.jpg8899_p29_l.jpgRun_N_Gun_2012_005a.jpgRun_N_Gun_2012_007a.jpg

P.S. - I think these are all technically "41 series" seats, but they seem to have been replaced by the 55 series (and appear to be nearly identical).
    Last edited by mike223; 08-28-2019 at 08:28 AM. Reason: P.S.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks For Posting These Pics Mr. Mikeee,

I've actually been looking at purchasing one 55 series, now likely a matching pair, just to sit as low possible when I hit the Dragstrip.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Boyd,
    Ordinarilly I'm mostly a form follows function guy but just can't get past the ironing board look of the highback on the 55 series drag seats. But hey, that's just me...
    If you'd consider something without a highback but offering much more containment than the standard roadster seats check out the Kirkey Vintage Class Buckets.

I'm putting these in both a roadster and Coupe that I'm building currently and like them a lot.

Cheers,
    Jeff

16. Likes RBachman, nucjd19 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post

Ordinarilly I'm mostly a form follows function guy but just can't get past the ironing board look of the highback on the 55 series drag seats. But hey, that's just me...
    lol - ironing board...

I think the vintage seats are the same seat minus the ironing board (and offer a great deal of side to side containment).

But I'm afraid low back seats will kill anyone sitting in them if you receive any significant rear impact (your fault / my fault / nobody's fault).

Post Thanks / Like
    Boyd
    Are you mounting them directly to the floor. you have diven in my car and mine have 1" spacers in the back and 1.5" spacer in the front.
    Gary
    Mark IV base kit, 2015 Coyote, Wilwood brakes, IRS-3.55 TruTrac, T56, ABS, PS, Nitto G2, Carbon fiber Dash

Post Thanks / Like
    Are your roll bars on?
    I'm a low-back guy, but in pics i think the high-backs are awful looking until the roll bars are on and then seem less obtrusive.
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't looked at Kirkeys in detail recently but I think the covers are held in place w/ snaps. If so, it's real easy to drill out the rivet on the seat part of the snap and then move it so you can pull the cover tighter or something if needed. Also, as far as welding, I did add material to mine, but for you, I was thinking more of maybe narrowing the wings and and/or trimming the top of the headrest part to lower it. That would just involve cutting and then forming new pieces of the edge trim to fit. As you can see, that trim is not a constant weld bead. It is just several 2-3 inch beads. They would be inexpensive to have done. Since Jeff brought them up, w/ some saw work, you could make your seats into the classics if you wanted. Just a few thoughts for options if your luck is anything like mine. Every time I try to sell something, no one wants it, and the few who express interest offer a ridiculous low price.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Boyd,
    If you'd consider something without a highback but offering much more containment than the standard roadster seats check out the Kirkey Vintage Class Buckets.

I'm putting these in both a roadster and Coupe that I'm building currently and like them a lot.

Cheers,
    Jeff
    How much more difficult is it to get in and out than with the FFR lowbacks?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by davekp View Post
    I just tried it last week in a friends BDR with the top on.....wasn’t pretty, not sure it would work in my FFR with the top on without trimming the sides down
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by davekp View Post
    "41 series" here - cutting down the "thigh" portion of the outboard seats is on my list of "things to do" - especially toward the knee.

I do not find the "ribcage area" to be as much as a problem, but it's certainly something I might consider cutting down on the outboard sides.

Much as CraigS described briefly.

Seems I always have a long list of things to improve (if only slightly)...
    Last edited by mike223; 08-28-2019 at 08:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Boyd,

Cheers,
    Jeff
    Thanks Jeff. I'm still seriously considering a quality low back seat. These would look good and still give some support. Ironing board, yeah, don't know if I can get past that.

I think a lot of my problem with the 47 seats, appearance-wise, is that they don't look like a quality seat. I'm looking at Sparco, Corbeau and OMP right now, and these are much better looking while still being safe, supportive and sporty.

I went ahead and installed the drivers seat and can honestly say these will not be staying in the car. Just the uneven shoulder things drives my OCD nuts.

Thanks for the personal opinion on these. Right now, they are making the list...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by grluisi150 View Post
    Boyd
    Are you mounting them directly to the floor. you have diven in my car and mine have 1" spacers in the back and 1.5" spacer in the front.
    Gary
    Hey Gary. I have the Kirkey side mounts with a significant rake mounting. I obviously enjoyed riding In your car, and I liked these Kirkeys during the whole go cart phase. But when I bolted them in my car, they just look out of place and like they don't belong. I think I need less of a race seat and more of a sports car seat.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdav View Post
    Are your roll bars on?
    I'm a low-back guy, but in pics i think the high-backs are awful looking until the roll bars are on and then seem less obtrusive.
    Roll bars are on. A pair of polished Breeze bars.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    I haven't looked at Kirkeys in detail recently but I think the covers are held in place w/ snaps. If so, it's real easy to drill out the rivet on the seat part of the snap and then move it so you can pull the cover tighter or something if needed. Also, as far as welding, I did add material to mine, but for you, I was thinking more of maybe narrowing the wings and and/or trimming the top of the headrest part to lower it. That would just involve cutting and then forming new pieces of the edge trim to fit. As you can see, that trim is not a constant weld bead. It is just several 2-3 inch beads. They would be inexpensive to have done. Since Jeff brought them up, w/ some saw work, you could make your seats into the classics if you wanted. Just a few thoughts for options if your luck is anything like mine. Every time I try to sell something, no one wants it, and the few who express interest offer a ridiculous low price.
    Thanks Craig. I agree on the selling, especially if something is modified.

Slicing off the wings and cutting the back down sounds like fun and it may work, if it can really look good. I will seriously consider this.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Boyd keep in mind if you modify those Kirkey seats the covers wont fit, the covers will need to be modified or get someone to upholster them and that can be expensive. I have some aluminum extrusion for the perimeter if you need it after modifying them, it's in 3' straight sticks. I modified some Kirkey 41V seats and went to get them upholstered and nearly fell over when I found out the price. I'm just sticking with the FFR seats until my money tree blooms again. Those Kirkey seats sure get you down and back in the car, a much different more pleasant, comfortable position. Good luck with your decision.

Post Thanks / Like
    Give Corbeau A4's a look. They fit nicely in the car, sit square in the space, provide good support and comfort on the track and on long haul cruises. I made a simple frame for mine so that I could lean it back (13 degrees) for my own personal comfort and fit.
    Mark IV -- 04 Mach1 Donor -- 4.6 DOHC -- TKO 600 -- 3:55 Gears -- 3 Link - Hydroboost PS & PB -- 13" PBR's Front & 11.65's Rear -- Cuesta Wiring -- Thompson Signals -- FFR Radiator, heater, wipers, and catalytic converters -- Metco DS safety loop -- Forte 7/8" front bar -- VPM 3/4" rear bar -- Champ road race pan -- Corbeau A4 Seats -- Nitto NT-05's on 17 x 9's.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not a high back seat guy in these cars and have been using the Cobra Classic seat for 20yrs. Put heaters and some extra padding and they fit us fine. If you have a wide rear end (not the car) you may have some issues as the seats are made with a steel rolled tube frame and may not fit your hiney.
    I'm just a victim of a thousand physic wars!
    www.weendoggy.com/cobra.htm

31. Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been doing some searching and looking at pics, but not really finding a bulk of info beyond 2 or 3 seats.

I spent 4 hours installing the passenger 17" Kirkey hiback (edit to add: Kirkey 47 Intermediate Road Race seat) in my car today, and came to a Eureka conclusion. I dont like em.

I love the way they look in other cars, but in my car, I see the way they bolt in crooked, the outboard shoulder bolster is bent almost 90* to fit in the car (inboard is not) and the fabric cover does not really match up. I am not saying I dont like other folks cars on here, I love all the roadsters, but this is just not making me happy in my car.

So what have ya got? I'm interested in some hibacks, has to have shoulder belt holes. Maybe something with less shoulder wing but still "fits".
    I'd like to see what others have done, what you had to do to make em fit, what did you do different.

If there's not a good fitting, good looking, quality hiback out there that fits, I may just go back to F5 seats to get me by for now...

Lets see what ya got.
    Kirkey low back's, but I modified the side rails and had them custom covered with seat heaters in them. See my build thread for more details.

33. Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidW View Post
    Boyd keep in mind if you modify those Kirkey seats the covers wont fit, the covers will need to be modified or get someone to upholster them and that can be expensive. I have some aluminum extrusion for the perimeter if you need it after modifying them, it's in 3' straight sticks. I modified some Kirkey 41V seats and went to get them upholstered and nearly fell over when I found out the price. I'm just sticking with the FFR seats until my money tree blooms again. Those Kirkey seats sure get you down and back in the car, a much different more pleasant, comfortable position. Good luck with your decision.
    Thanks Dave. I'll keep you and Craig in mind if I decide to go the mod route.
    Getting there... I've installed both Kirkeys for now so I an get legal, but they will need to go.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by walt mckenna View Post
    Give Corbeau A4's a look. They fit nicely in the car, sit square in the space, provide good support and comfort on the track and on long haul cruises. I made a simple frame for mine so that I could lean it back (13 degrees) for my own personal comfort and fit.
    Walt... I am seriously looking at a set of A4's. Especially the microsuede in gray and black. I've reached out to Corbeau for a local dealer where I can check one out... I would be right between a standard and a wide... And I think the wide is too big to fit the car. This is one of my favorite options right now...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Kirkey low back's, but I modified the side rails and had them custom covered with seat heaters in them. See my build thread for more details.

That's a good looking shorty seat.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Walt... I am seriously looking at a set of A4's. Especially the microsuede in gray and black. I've reached out to Corbeau for a local dealer where I can check one out... I would be right between a standard and a wide... And I think the wide is too big to fit the car. This is one of my favorite options right now...
    You are correct. The wide will not fit the car.
    Mark IV -- 04 Mach1 Donor -- 4.6 DOHC -- TKO 600 -- 3:55 Gears -- 3 Link - Hydroboost PS & PB -- 13" PBR's Front & 11.65's Rear -- Cuesta Wiring -- Thompson Signals -- FFR Radiator, heater, wipers, and catalytic converters -- Metco DS safety loop -- Forte 7/8" front bar -- VPM 3/4" rear bar -- Champ road race pan -- Corbeau A4 Seats -- Nitto NT-05's on 17 x 9's.

38. Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Boyd,
    If you are looking at the Corbeau A4's then another option is the Corbeau Sportline Evolution X. They are fixed back. If you compare the dimensions to the A4, they are basically the same other than being 1 inch wider in the hips and 1/2 inch narrower in the lower back. This is what I'm going with, but am still in the building phase. I've fit them to the car and they do fit (I also have the E-brake in the transmission tunnel). I am installing them the same way that Edwardb did in his coupe build. Here are some pics: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...hese-seats-fit
    Good luck!
    David
    MK4 Roadster #9138
    Blueprint 427 with Sniper EFI, TKO600, IRS, complete kit
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post

I really like what you did with the older style Kirkey seat. The only thing I'd do differently is have the upholsterer add the pass through for the sub belt, but then that would interfere with the heater I suppose.
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dncharo View Post
    Boyd,
    If you are looking at the Corbeau A4's then another option is the Corbeau Sportline Evolution X. They are fixed back. If you compare the dimensions to the A4, they are basically the same other than being 1 inch wider in the hips and 1/2 inch narrower in the lower back. This is what I'm going with, but am still in the building phase. I've fit them to the car and they do fit (I also have the E-brake in the transmission tunnel). I am installing them the same way that Edwardb did in his coupe build. Here are some pics: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...hese-seats-fit
    Good luck!
    David
    Thanks David. I remember that thread but didn't see it when I was searching. I like this option, too.

I like the idea of ordering a stock seat for fitting purposes, then if it works, return it mad order the modded ones you want. I need a sub harness slot and heaters.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Boyd,

Cheers,
    Jeff
    Hey Jeff, I'm looking at the shorty Kirkeys, because I'm not sure I can get a hiback to fit me in the Roadster. The pic you posted is the 41 series, which is actually sort of a mid. They do sell one that is even shorter. Do you have a roadster with a 41 in it, like you posted above? Could I get you to put up a pic? Thanks in advance...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have the 41s installed currently but I'll get one down out of the attic and set it in a roadster that's in the midst of body prep and get you a picture this weekend.

Jeff

44. Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's kind of fascinating to me that the 41 series seems to have been replaced by the 55 series - but apparently the 41V + 55V (vintage seats) are both still available.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like the 41V's are quite rare. I found some on Amazon for $500 each, including cover. Almost everywhere else is out of stock. The 55V's are about 1/2" shorter, but very available. And Summit has seats and covers in stock for $312, including cover. I may order one and try it. If I dont like it, I send it back and I'm only out the shipping.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast