BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: New style adjustable headers.

Post Thanks / Like

New style adjustable headers.

My 302 headers arrived today. It looks like FF is sending out the new style headers that are on the 25th anniversary kit. Plus they already have O2 bungs in the collector. Very pleasant surprise!

Terry
    Last edited by TMartinLVNV; 08-29-2019 at 01:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    They've been shipping for a few months.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks like a very nice product improvement!

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    I checked with FFR the first thing I saw these. Very happy that they confirmed I'll be receiving these with the kit, which by the way must be somewhere in the Atlantic right now.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Now consider grabbing some Adjustment Wedges from Mark Reynolds at Breeze Automotive and all will be right with the world.

https://www.breezeautomotive.com/?s=...t_type=product

Between the new headers and some adjustment wedges you should be able to really nail the pipe location with little difficulty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Now consider grabbing some Adjustment Wedges from Mark Reynolds at Breeze Automotive and all will be right with the world.

https://www.breezeautomotive.com/?s=...t_type=product

Between the new headers and some adjustment wedges you should be able to really nail the pipe location with little difficulty.
    The whole point of the new pipes is to eliminate the need for the wedges.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FFinisher View Post
    The whole point of the new pipes is to eliminate the need for the wedges.
    No Excrement Dick Tracy; however, we all know that getting the angle of the dangle spot on perfect may need a little extra help unless you fab up your own headers like some of us did. ..Heck, some of us (Meaning Me) are so OCD that we (Me) even shortened the wheelbase to center the rear wheels since Factory Five didn't.

Look Mom, Centered Rear Wheels & Nicely Hung Pipes On Custom IMCA Headers!

https://youtu.be/CaRlqMmKIzk
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 08-31-2019 at 06:28 AM.

8. Likes nucjd19 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    No Excrement Dick Tracy; however, we all know that getting the angle of the dangle spot on perfect may need a little extra help unless you fab up your own headers like some of us did. ..Heck, some of us (Meaning Me) are so OCD that we (Me) even shortened the wheelbase to center the rear wheels since Factory Five didn't.

Look Mom, Centered Rear Wheels & Nicely Hung Pipes On Custom IMCA Headers!

https://youtu.be/CaRlqMmKIzk
    No need for insults, although it seems the American way these days. I was posting to help others
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    FFinisher Your post was helpful for me. Thanks.

Terry

11. Thanks luvaz thanked for this post
    Likes luvaz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    No need for insults, although it seems the American way these days. I was posting to help others
    My reply was not an insult, but I must admit that Southern Humor & Sarcasm are often misunderstood.

Sorry I Offended You!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 09-01-2019 at 07:33 AM.

13. Likes rezell3d, nucjd19 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Adjustment is nice if it stays adusted. J-tube ball joint does not stay in place. The headers has 3 bolts vs 2. It should help.

If not, it would be easy to tack weld in place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are these only for the Coyote or are they for all 302's? They don't seem to be under the Parts tab on the FFR website.

Post Thanks / Like
    ..........we (Me) even shortened the wheelbase to center the rear wheels since Factory Five didn't.
    My kit arrives later this month and off-center rear wheels has been a nagging thought. It seems this has been a long time issue and that it wouldn't take much to change/correct. Why hasn't it been done? There must be a good reason?
    FFR MKIV ordered 12 July 2019. IRS, Wilwood Brakes, 18" Wheels w/MT tires, power steering, EFI, Heat. 347 Dart w/TKO-600 by Mike Forte, Holley FI, MSD coil and CD box. All new, no donor build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by swwebb View Post
    Are these only for the Coyote or are they for all 302's? They don't seem to be under the Parts tab on the FFR website.
    I ordered the "standard" 4 into 4 302 headers when I ordered my car. These are what arrived. I think that they are FFR's replacement. They don't look as clean as the standard headers, but for functionality, they are great.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do admit that they looked “busy” the first time I saw them. But the function ability can’t be denied! I’d probably set them up and get them tig welded before cutting off the collars.
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RBachman View Post
    My kit arrives later this month and off-center rear wheels has been a nagging thought. It seems this has been a long time issue and that it wouldn't take much to change/correct. Why hasn't it been done? There must be a good reason?
    From what I understand the 25th anniversary cars will be using All New Molds that addresses the off-center rear wheel issue among other problems.
    Hopefully those molds will be used for all future MK-4's after all of the 25th Anniversary Special Addition Cars are sold.
    Since I don't have the IRS set up so I don't know how much things can be adjusted to minimize the issue.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 09-02-2019 at 08:24 AM.

20. Thanks RBachman thanked for this post
    Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RBachman View Post
    Based on the 20th anniversary video Dave Smith did, the "new" bodies will be sold for all new kits going forward. Don't know the exact cut-in date. You could ask if yours will be one. Good to see they tucked in the openings a bit. But off-center isn't necessarily the case for all. Gets a lot of discussion I guess, but I personally haven't seen in with my builds. I see you have IRS, and my 20th with IRS is fine.

Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

22. Thanks RBachman thanked for this post
    Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TMartinLVNV View Post
    My 302 headers arrived today. It looks like FF is sending out the new style headers that are on the 25th anniversary kit. Plus they already have O2 bungs in the collector. Very pleasant surprise!

Terry
    Are these available to order from FFR (just these new headers)? I have an older MKIII and going EFI this winter.
    Might be time to call them.
    https://hhong43.wixsite.com/snkvnnm-build
    FFR #4883: 347CID|CompCam Magnum 286HR|Vic. Jr. heads|Hurricane Intake | Mighty Demon 650DP|IRS w/Torsen T2 & 3.55 | MSD ignition system | Mallory pump/filter/reg.|Forgestar CF5 18" w/245-45R18 & 295-35R18|Original I-Squared 1+1 System ☺ ☺☺

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a new set of these headers for Coyote last month - they're not on the website, just email or call.
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

Post Thanks / Like
    How was that an insult? Sensitive are we?

All he was saying .. he agreed to what you said but you're still going to need to do an adjustment unless you fabricated them yourself to your chassis and engine combo.

It's just guys being guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Will these header fit and working with a SBF 363 with high port heads. (Exhaust Ports raised .750" over stock)? T
    Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    For what it’s worth, my sidepipes aligned perfectly using the ball headers with no wedges needed. Also, I got my kit back in January and it came from the new molds. Several needed enhancements that are detailed in one of the 25th anny videos from Dave Smith.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have these headers and have noticed the side pipes sagging a bit despite the collars being very tight. It was mentioned above that you can tack weld them to prevent the sagging.

Has anyone tried this? Does it work?
    MK4 Roadster #9138
    Blueprint 427 with Sniper EFI, TKO600, IRS, complete kit
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have the rear support brackets installed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sagging has not been a problem for me. I had to tighten up the bolts at the collars on each side after putting some miles on the car and have not had to touch them since. The rear mount is what seems to hold the exhaust up. The inner solid mount bolt broke on each side and mine are being held up by the rubber hanger only and seem to be doing fine. I guess if I had to do it over, I would not have even used the inner solid mount.
    MK IV Build #9659, 3 link, 17's, Forte 347, Sniper EFI, power steering, built for a freak sized person with 17" Kirkey Vintage seats, RT drop trunk, RT turn signal, lots of stuff from Breeze Automotive, Wilwood brakes, paint by Jeff Miller

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BradCraig View Post
    Do you have the rear support brackets installed?
    Great point! No, I’m still in go kart and have some temporary rear support straps, but don’t have the brackets installed yet. Hopefully they will work when I install them after the painted body goes back on. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    My 2cents. As far as aligning the side pipes...they help. You will ALWAYS need to modify the cut out to some degree. I have worked with 6 cars so far and had to move the cut out on 3 of them enough to have to reglass to backfill. The ball joint gives you a lot but not everything. With the under car pipe bracket in place the sidepipe will still sag after vibration and heat cycle. I would suggest (once they are where you want them) (relative to the body not the chassis) to have them welded up so they don't move turning them into a regular o'l header...da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    Can someone confirm that the Coyote headers sold by factory five now have the new flange and collars that are adjustable?

Post Thanks / Like
    See post #19
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Rich.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats the only style of header that Factory Five now sells. Just look at their parts site.
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

Post Thanks / Like
    I did look at the parts site and for the coyote they only show it without the connector. Thanks again for filling me in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bought some of these new headers (302) for my Gen III coupe from the FFR web page.

Fit and alignment is great and no more need for sandwiches of wedges and gaskets.

Lighter (stainless steel) than the old ones by a few lbs.

Mine do sag at the ball couplers- the bolts are not fully threaded and the nuts are the end of the threads and can't be tightened any further- just need to get some washers under the bolt heads.

Dave
    Gen III Coupe #17