BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  72
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Street Rod Jim's 33 Hot Rod V2 #1143 Build - The Journey Begins

Post Thanks / Like
    For your hood prop rod, why not use the FFR ball stud bracket mounted near the striker? that way you don't have store a loose prop rod somewhere else....

hood prop.jpg

Regarding the PPF on the rear fender, it doesn't seem to discolor and make the fender look different so I wouldn't be too concerned about that. If you can manage to get the whole fender done in one piece, go for it. A bit tricky due to the multi curves. But get it covered to somewhere near the top, it's surprising where those damn pebbles get.

Speaking of pebbles, one thing that surprised me is some stones getting in between the hood and the cowl - where you put the rubber stripping. Getting in the habit of opening the hood and checking after every ride...
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Jim, I was having the same problem with my doors sagging. I leaned over one to get a tool on the car floor and noticed the main door bar move on the rear bracket. Once I tightened those 2 carriage bolts as tight as I could the doors stopped sagging. Find a friend that can do it for you because of your back. You need to hold the bar at the same time or it will move as you tighten the nuts. I also had to tighten the hinge bolts that go through the bushings twice as they settle in as you use the doors. I put white grease on all those bushings. Nice job on the car by the way! I've been watching since the beginning.
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    For your hood prop rod, why not use the FFR ball stud bracket mounted near the striker? that way you don't have store a loose prop rod somewhere else....

hood prop.jpg

Regarding the PPF on the rear fender, it doesn't seem to discolor and make the fender look different so I wouldn't be too concerned about that. If you can manage to get the whole fender done in one piece, go for it. A bit tricky due to the multi curves. But get it covered to somewhere near the top, it's surprising where those damn pebbles get.

Speaking of pebbles, one thing that surprised me is some stones getting in between the hood and the cowl - where you put the rubber stripping. Getting in the habit of opening the hood and checking after every ride...
    Wow, would have never thought pebbles would be up there... The "raised hood" does not have the same support ribs underneath. It is totally different. And the one that is there is super thin and would get in the way of the striker bracket that really does not fit there either. If I had the ribs of the original hood, I would have put it there to begin with.

We will see what the PPF company says. These fenders have lots of funky curves.
    33 Hot Rod V2 Coupe, Extra Clearance Hood, Bike Fenders, Rear Exhaust, LS Engine

4. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastertech5 View Post
    Hey Jim, I was having the same problem with my doors sagging. I leaned over one to get a tool on the car floor and noticed the main door bar move on the rear bracket. Once I tightened those 2 carriage bolts as tight as I could the doors stopped sagging. Find a friend that can do it for you because of your back. You need to hold the bar at the same time or it will move as you tighten the nuts. I also had to tighten the hinge bolts that go through the bushings twice as they settle in as you use the doors. I put white grease on all those bushings. Nice job on the car by the way! I've been watching since the beginning.
    I just bought a right angle pneumatic socket wrench. Hopefully that will do it without sanding. Not sure why it has taken so long to do this, but its been a rough year.....
    33 Hot Rod V2 Coupe, Extra Clearance Hood, Bike Fenders, Rear Exhaust, LS Engine

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    Or replace the striker bolt (pin) altogether with a ball stud/washer/internally threaded standoff/ threaded rod.

You could then pop the ball end on the end of your prop rod on and off of the striker pin as needed.

Earl
    1st Speedstar in Canada 31 March 2023.
    Built by me 302 engine, AOD trans, 3.55 IRS.

Post Thanks / Like
    You should also pin it, so you won't have to worry about the carriage bolts anymore. Get the door where you want it, then drill two or three 5/16" holes in the bracket a few inches apart from eachg other and then get 5/16" grade 8 hardware (bolt, washers, lock washer, & nut), install it in the holes you drilled and tighten it all up and you'll never have to worry about it again.

Jim
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

8. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    About your engine ticking noise. I don't know if your rocker arms are new or the originals when you rebuilt the engine but LS rocker arms are somewhat known to have weak reunions where they pivot on the studs. It's possible that one may have started to fail resulting in excess play on that pushrod. You can buy upgraded aftermarket trunion replacements or one of your lifters may have started to collapse but I would check that all the stud nuts are torqued properly fiestas as you mentioned. They are what they call positive stop studs. There is a shoulder on them that the nuts torque against. You don't need to go through turning the engine to get each valve closed before tightening the nuts except when you first install the valvetrain. Just trying to help and return the favor of all your great videos!
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    About your engine ticking noise. I don't know if your rocker arms are new or the originals when you rebuilt the engine but LS rocker arms are somewhat known to have weak reunions where they pivot on the studs. It's possible that one may have started to fail resulting in excess play on that pushrod. You can buy upgraded aftermarket trunion replacements or one of your lifters may have started to collapse but I would check that all the stud nuts are torqued properly fiestas as you mentioned. They are what they call positive stop studs. There is a shoulder on them that the nuts torque against. You don't need to go through turning the engine to get each valve closed before tightening the nuts except when you first install the valvetrain. Just trying to help and return the favor of all your great videos!
    Just needed to drive it..... Who would have thought. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Factory Five 33 Hot Rod V2 - Doors, Clamps, Buff...

Post Thanks / Like
    Factory Five 33 Hot Rod V2 - Kit Car Talk With Street Rod Jim #6

Post Thanks / Like
    Street Rod Jim - Official Celebration Video - FFR 33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    The Making of Street Rod Jim and the Music Video Wicked Game - Documentary

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Everyone,

As this chapter comes to a close on the 33 Hot Rod, I will still be posting on my Youtube channel for Car Shows with the 33, Trailer info and hopefully soon the 1966 Ford Econoline van. Feel free to come along for the ride. If there are any videos still pertaining to being on this forum, I will definitely post them. The last year was a little tough, but I am turning a corner for the better. I want to say thanks to everyone for all the support, information and push to keep me going. If I end up doing a F9R, or other FFR car, I will start another thread. Thanks, again. Street Rod Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Jim,
    Great job, your car turned out awesome! Thank you again for taking the time to make these videos. They show that an “everyday Joe” can do this. Some of the “pros” or guys with a ton of experience make this look easy. You showed some of the real world problems and got through it. Best of luck on the van and I’m looking forward to following your F9 build.
    Respectfully,
    Jeremie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty Chief 35 View Post
    Jim,
    Great job, your car turned out awesome! Thank you again for taking the time to make these videos. They show that an “everyday Joe” can do this. Some of the “pros” or guys with a ton of experience make this look easy. You showed some of the real world problems and got through it. Best of luck on the van and I’m looking forward to following your F9 build.
    Respectfully,
    Jeremie
    Thanks Jeremie.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011