BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  72
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Street Rod Jim's 33 Hot Rod V2 #1143 Build - The Journey Begins

Post Thanks / Like

Street Rod Jim's 33 Hot Rod V2 #1143 Build - The Journey Begins

Hi Everyone. I have been waiting a long time to build a car and I have officially purchased a 33 Hot Rod V2. This is my first build, but I am going to try to keep the build quality as high as possible (within reason) while building mostly on my own….but with the help of you guys and some friends when needed... in my own garage. I plan on doing most of the body work and possibly final paint, but we will see. I know when to farm it out if needed. However, I would really like to learn that side of it.

The car I am building consist of a Coupe Top, Extra Clearance Hood & Sides, Bike Fenders, Rear Exhaust, Chrome Steering Wheel, A/C Heat, Leather Bench Seat, 4 link Moser, Power Steering, 4L65e Trans and an LS Engine which I have already rebuilt.

The kicker in all this is that I am vlogging the whole thing on my Street Rod Jim YouTube channel. Unlike other channels, I will be going through the whole process as much as possible, so people get a real idea of what it takes to do any of these FFR builds. I am also posting a lot of research, cost analysis, the engine build, how to find an engine, my experience at the factory five build school etc… I will update build cost and such as I go since it will be an ongoing weekly vlog. I hope this vlog/build brings much information to the community and onlookers wanting to get into the community in a different format than normal. I am a visual person myself, so I know there are others that will benefit from this type of format.

I have already posted all my research and such. (Even some C5 corvette videos which will interest the GTM followers) Now that I am actually ready to build the 33 Hot Rod, I am finally starting my official build thread. I am super excited and know that I will bang my head against the wall a few times. But whatever happens, it will be caught on camera. LOL!

Street Rod Jim Channel: http://bit.ly/32V8G0a
    cost.jpgLSENGINE.jpgbuildschool.jpgdeliveryday.jpg

Thanks to David Hodgkins, Dave Smith, Tony Zullo and David Brigham for all their help.
    Last edited by Street Rod Jim; 12-30-2022 at 12:46 PM.
    33 Hot Rod V2 Coupe, Extra Clearance Hood, Bike Fenders, Rear Exhaust, LS Engine

2. Likes Mrallsport32, Dduty, HVACMAN, JimLev, wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by Street Rod Jim; 09-15-2019 at 05:08 PM.
    33 Hot Rod V2 Coupe, Extra Clearance Hood, Bike Fenders, Rear Exhaust, LS Engine

4. Likes FF33rod, RBBJ 32 HOTROD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Inventory was pretty crazy. Took a whole week before and after work.

Factory Five 33 Hot Rod V2 - Inventory Video

67-Inventory.jpg

I also had some help removing the body off the car.

Body Removal Video

68-Body-Removal.jpg
    Last edited by Street Rod Jim; 09-15-2019 at 05:09 PM.

6. Likes peterh226 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck. It’s crazy fun with the right attitude.
    33 Hot Rod #1133. LS/TKO600
    Delivered 6-17-19. Started work 7-3-19. First start 9-6-19. First drive 9-24-19
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sethmark View Post
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    There is more to this thought than you can imagine. I've messed around with cars all my life, but this takes it to a whole new level. It's a blast, but I have no schedule or expectation. Sometimes I just sit out there and look at it. The forums are great, and getting the right tools makes a huge difference. You'll find the instructions are a guideline, with lots of room for variation. Remember, everytime you ask a question, it helps us to think it through as well.
    - Peterh226 #1134
    '33 Hot Rod 2nd Gen. Blueprint 383 Sniper TKO Delivered 4/14/2019
    Full Fenders, Top, 3-Link, Wilwoods
    YOKOHAMA ADVAN NEOVA AD08 R | Fr 245/45 R17 | Rr 295/30 R18
    AR605 Torq-Thrust M Chrome | Fr 17x8 | Rr 18x10

10. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Peter is exactly right. There’s plenty of times where I just stare at it and try and figure out how to solve whatever the problem is. I strongly urge you to consider doing the bodywork first. I thought everybody was nuts for suggesting it and I ignored it. I was wrong.
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Post Thanks / Like
    Good Luck, enjoy every minute. When you get stuck, walk away for a while.

Post Thanks / Like
    Saw one of your latest videos regarding paint. For the miscellaneous (and numerous) raw metal parts included in the kit, highly recommend getting a relatively inexpensive powder coating setup like that available from Eastwood. Powder coat is a lot more durable than rattle can and a lot more convenient than mixing and spraying a 2 part. The powder is available from a few different sources, is cheap, and in a huge array of colour/finish. Prismatic powders silk satin black matches the powder coated chassis perfectly.
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck !!! Take your time it’s not a race to the finish. Don’t compromise from the git go. It’s yours have fun and enjoy it. Rob
    FFR 35 p/u # 0016 Dart 347 TKO 600

Post Thanks / Like
    Peter is exactly right. There’s plenty of times where I just stare at it and try and figure out how to solve whatever the problem is. I strongly urge you to consider doing the bodywork first. I thought everybody was nuts for suggesting it and I ignored it. I was wrong.
    Thanks for the comment here and on youtube!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    Saw one of your latest videos regarding paint. For the miscellaneous (and numerous) raw metal parts included in the kit, highly recommend getting a relatively inexpensive powder coating setup like that available from Eastwood. Powder coat is a lot more durable than rattle can and a lot more convenient than mixing and spraying a 2 part. The powder is available from a few different sources, is cheap, and in a huge array of colour/finish. Prismatic powders silk satin black matches the powder coated chassis perfectly.
    Unfortunately the biggest issue with this is the size of parts. You can buy a used full size oven cheap, but I have nowhere to store that and no 220V besides my laundry room. Not interested in using the oven I cook with. Otherwise I agree totally.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Rod Jim View Post
    Thanks for the comment here and on youtube!
    I make mention emphatically because I wish someone had done that for me. To have the doors trunk and body ready to rock ‘n’ roll would’ve made this process a lot more enjoyable than trying to not damage stuff.
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Post Thanks / Like
    So once you get your car and it's all inventoried.... now what.

Where Do I Start Overview

69-WHere-Do-I-Start.jpg

Building The Koni Shocks

70---Shocks.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Firewall Alignment: The most import part of the build.

Firewall Alignment

71-Firewall.jpg

Building the Wilwood Pedal Box

Building Wilwood Pedal Box

72-Wilwoodl.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    It was really difficult trying to talk to auto paint stores getting the lingo down. This was my experience.

Auto Paint Lingo

73-paint-store.jpg

21. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So the differential has not been my friend. Fitment issues, manual discrepancies, modifications....

Marking Panels and Differential Install
    75-panels-Diff.jpg

Upper Control Arm Modification
    76-diff-mod.jpg

Manual Discrepancy
    77-manual.jpg
    Last edited by Street Rod Jim; 11-02-2019 at 12:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Color selection by far the hardest for me to envision. For whatever reason, I have to see it before I can fully take it in. Being a big part of the build, I spent some time and finally picked my colors out.

Paint Color Selection

77A-picking-a-color.jpg

Paint Preparation

78-Prep-Paint.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Drilling all the panels has been a process. A long process. However, I feel like I am moving forward.

Marking and Drilling panels

79-Drill-Holes.jpg

Cleaning Up The Firewall

80-firewall.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, the manual mentions that there is a few parts to paint, but in really there is a load of parts that need something on them. I will be prepping to try to spray at home.

Sanding Parts For Grey Primer

81-sanding.jpg

Prepping For Spray Paint

82-Prepforpaint.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Great build thread! I'm getting close to buying a 33 kit. I've found your videos very useful. The LS versus Coyote video helped me decide on the on LS. Why did you decide to go with an auto tranny? I'm leaning towards a stick, but I'm worried about foot box room. I'm 6'1' and have had a few back surgeries so leg room is important for me.

thanks,

Andy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by e36m3 View Post
    Great build thread! I'm getting close to buying a 33 kit. I've found your videos very useful. The LS versus Coyote video helped me decide on the on LS. Why did you decide to go with an auto tranny? I'm leaning towards a stick, but I'm worried about foot box room. I'm 6'1' and have had a few back surgeries so leg room is important for me.

thanks,

Andy
    Gen2 has added leg room so your height shouldn't be an issue. The footbox is crowded with the clutch pedal added so if you have size 15s that is more the issue. Read some of the other build threads (e.g. Peterh and seth) that have used Chev engines - you need to get creative with the engine mounts and the mating up with the exhaust.
    Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like

thanks,

Andy
    Andy, There is not a lot of room in the pedal area. I can post a picture when I get a chance. But I also have neck issues and pushing a pedal in every 5 seconds is no fun for me. I was going to add a paddle shifter but it was $1500 to do so I took it off the build. I also bought a 2003 C5 Corvette with LS and 4l65e (same combo I am building) and it was a pleasure to drive. A preview if you will. The 33 will have about 200 more HP than the vette and 1500 lbs lighter. Hopefully it will be streetable. Yikes!

Post Thanks / Like
    I went to paint at home and everything I did to make it the best situation possible just did not work out.

Primer Coat On Parts

83-Paint-Yard.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Drilling the frame took a while but came out great!

Drilling The Frame
    84-drilling-the-frame.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    So I am finally cooled off enough to talk about my DIY paint experience.

DIY Paint Results
    84Ba-Paint-results.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I went to build the radiator and ran into difficulties drilling some stainless steel.

Building The Radiator And Grill

85-Radiator.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok so what happened?

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a lot accomplished today even though I did not think I had anything left in my tank.

Frame Drilling And Gas Tank
    86-Gas-Tank.jpg

35. Likes Mrallsport32 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks,

Andy
    Andy, here is pictures of the pedal area. Not much room on the left for the clutch and depending on how wide your transmission is, the gas pedal gets pushed to the left. My trans is really wide. (4l65e). Hopefully this helps. Jim
    2019-11-23 08.08.53.jpg2019-11-23 08.09.24.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally getting to some of the small things, but they needed to be done. Trans tunnel and CPU.

Installing the Driveshaft Tunnel
    87-Driveshaft-tunnel.jpg

Cleaning up the Original PCM
    88-CPU-Degrease.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Understanding your paint woes, I would suggest that you go out and get a simple, cheap white car shelter, you can close each end, hang from the frame and you don't care if you get paint on it. I used one for lawn equipment that was 8' wide by 12' long, it worked great easy to setup and take down. I added a couple of 24" fans on one end and some cheaper furnace filters on the other to mimic a cross draft booth. for small parts and the aluminum panels that will get lizard skinned etc... it'll help ALOT!
    Here's a pic of the smaller one I used. 20190824_120155.jpg 20190824_120201.jpg

PS. When priming the small parts I held the hanger such that I could spin it in my fingers to ensure better coverage and I didn't have to spin around it. Then I could hang them up out of the way. Have fun!!
    Black & Copper #1028 ("The Mistress" according to my wife! )
    Brought home: Nov. 2017, GoKart: May 2018, will be Plated & on the Road April 2020
    Andreas

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Rod Jim View Post
    Andy, here is pictures of the pedal area. Not much room on the left for the clutch and depending on how wide your transmission is, the gas pedal gets pushed to the left. My trans is really wide. (4l65e). Hopefully this helps. Jim
    2019-11-23 08.08.53.jpg2019-11-23 08.09.24.jpg
    Thanks for the pictures, those pics helped a lot to understand the room in the foot box.

Post Thanks / Like
    After hinting at it several times I finally put holes in my firewall.

Drilling The Firewall

89-Firewall-drilled.jpg

I got a chance to see a real 2020 C8 Corvette in real life. It was worth the trip.

2020 C8 Corvette

89B-2020-C8-Corvette.jpg
    All my back ordered parts came in from Factory Five.

Back Ordered Parts

90--backordered.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    After my dismal attempt at painting at home, I went to a real paint booth and got real results with some mentoring.

Primer In A Real Paint Booth

91-Primer-booth.jpg

After an amazing painting experience, I now have to prep for color by sanding.

Preparing Primed Parts

92-Sanding-after-booth.jpg

Color and Clear look amazing!

Spraying Base & Clear

94-Base-&-Clear.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing like burning up bits to make some small holes.

A/C Condenser Brackets

93-Radiator-II.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the power steering installed. It was like building an erector set.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Street Rod Jim; 01-26-2020 at 09:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had to use rack limiters on mine. You will likely run into issues with the inbound side of the bike fenders hitting the control arms at full turn...you may want to relieve them prior to paint.
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

47. Thanks Salty Chief 35 thanked for this post
    Likes Salty Chief 35 liked this post
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast