Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  72
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Street Rod Jim's 33 Hot Rod V2 #1143 Build - The Journey Begins

Post Thanks / Like
    May want to also put a second nut on the tie rod to allow for adjustment with out damaging during turning.
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

2. Likes shmelty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JOP33 View Post
    I had to use rack limiters on mine. You will likely run into issues with the inbound side of the bike fenders hitting the control arms at full turn...you may want to relieve them prior to paint.
    Yes, I am going to get some mustang ones when I am ready. Thanks.
    33 Hot Rod V2 Coupe, Extra Clearance Hood, Bike Fenders, Rear Exhaust, LS Engine

Post Thanks / Like
    It has been a long journey up to this point, but I feel like I am finally getting somewhere.

Wrapping Up Phase One
    103-phase-1.jpg

My HVAC install has some clearance issues.

HVAC Installation
    104-HVAC.jpg

After a long struggle with some stainless steel, I am finally mocking up my Front Grill/Radiator

Front Grill Mock Up
    105-Grill.jpg
    33 Hot Rod V2 Coupe, Extra Clearance Hood, Bike Fenders, Rear Exhaust, LS Engine

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that I have my spray guns setup I am tackling some painting at home and color matching my calipers to the outside of the car.

Painting And Assembling The Brake Calipers

Last edited by Street Rod Jim; 01-26-2020 at 10:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Steering rack is running into the suspension.

Post Thanks / Like
    Installing brake lines on the 33 Hot Rod V2

Post Thanks / Like
    Sizing up the front bike fenders

Post Thanks / Like
    Factory Five 33 Hot Rod V2 Build - Wrapping Up Phase 1

Post Thanks / Like
    My HVAC install has some clearance issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    After a long struggle with some stainless steel, I am finally mocking up my Front Grill/Radiator

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that I have my spray guns setup I am tackling some painting at home and color matching my calipers to the outside of the car.

Factory Five 33 Hot Rod V2 Build - Painting And Assembling The Brake Calipers

Post Thanks / Like
    My frustrations builds from hitting many walls at once.

Factory Five 33 Hot Rod V2 Build - Trunk Paneling - Reality Check

Post Thanks / Like
    Factory Five 33 Hot Rod V2 Build - Crazy Transmission Purchase - Chaotic to say the least.

Post Thanks / Like
    So I have really been struggling with the gas tank fitment, but I think I finally got it.

Last edited by Street Rod Jim; 02-08-2020 at 09:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am happy to get this front end dialed in and completed for the most part.

Last edited by Street Rod Jim; 02-08-2020 at 09:40 AM.

17. Likes wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The abatement plates are causing an issue on my brakes. It is not the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did a lot of research on Lizardskin, Upol Raptor Bed liner and you really can't find much on actual spraying it on the vehicle and what to expect. All you get it mask everything off and splatter it on. In this video I show you how intricate you can get with spraying this product for a super clean look.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Jim,
    If you want to remove those gear rings (I think they're called tone rings) on the front hubs there is a really easy way to do it. Take your dremel tool and cut about 2/3 or so the way through it and then insert a screwdriver in the slot you just cut and then hit the end of the screw driver with a hammer. The ring will just crack into two pieces. It s very brittle metal. Took me about 15 seconds to remove mine. (Credit to edwardb)

Keep up the good work with the videos!
    Mk IV Roadster #9749, Kit received Jan 2, 2020, Blueprint SBF 347 TKO600 Holley Sniper EFI, Dual roll bars, IRS, 17" Halibrand, Nitto 555 G2 245, 315 Road legal Oct 20, 2020

Post Thanks / Like
    I was able to get all the AN fittings and hose to plumb out my fuel rails and fuel lines on the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thank you for your video series. I’m planning on FFR kit but probably a few years away yet. These videos give a true picture of what to expect. I’ve been reading a lot of these posts for almost a year now and this has been the most helpful so far.
    Thanks again
    J. Larson

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty Chief 35 View Post
    Thank you for your video series. I’m planning on FFR kit but probably a few years away yet. These videos give a true picture of what to expect. I’ve been reading a lot of these posts for almost a year now and this has been the most helpful so far.
    Thanks again
    J. Larson
    I appreciate the comment. This is exactly why I am doing this build this way. I really wanted to show a realistic build from "the guy with a few tools in his garage"; just how they advertise to us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Excited to get this engine mounted.

Post Thanks / Like
    In this video I show installing all the components around the engine; Brake reservoir, Overflow tank, Dryer, Fuel Regulator, Dip Sticks, Headers, Down pipes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is some information on LS engine CPU, PCM, Gas pedals, throttle bodies when rebuilding an LS engine. I also talk about Holly Terminator aftermarket systems.

Post Thanks / Like
    I realize you’re probably miles ahead, but chopping that pedal and using the supplied ffr pedal is silly easy.
    33 Hot Rod #1133. LS/TKO600
    Delivered 6-17-19. Started work 7-3-19. First start 9-6-19. First drive 9-24-19
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

28. Likes shmelty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sethmark View Post
    I realize you’re probably miles ahead, but chopping that pedal and using the supplied ffr pedal is silly easy.
    Keep in mind I have never welded before and do not have any equipment for that.... Mr Seth, the Expert Fabricator! LOL. Easy is relative statement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Rod Jim View Post
    Keep in mind I have never welded before and do not have any equipment for that.... Mr Seth, the Expert Fabricator! LOL. Easy is relative statement.
    Mine is bolted, mr YouTube fame! Lol
    33 Hot Rod #1133. LS/TKO600
    Delivered 6-17-19. Started work 7-3-19. First start 9-6-19. First drive 9-24-19
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

31. Likes shmelty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Caddy Dad View Post
    Hey Jim,
    If you want to remove those gear rings (I think they're called tone rings) on the front hubs there is a really easy way to do it. Take your dremel tool and cut about 2/3 or so the way through it and then insert a screwdriver in the slot you just cut and then hit the end of the screw driver with a hammer. The ring will just crack into two pieces. It s very brittle metal. Took me about 15 seconds to remove mine. (Credit to edwardb)

Keep up the good work with the videos!
    You can also heat them up slightly and they fall right off.

33. Thanks shmelty thanked for this post
    Likes shmelty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you are going aftermarket, why not ditch the drive by wire set up all together and just go with cable drive TB? then you can use any pedal you want

Post Thanks / Like
    SRJ,
    I really enjoy your videos and look forward to seeing the finished product!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Computers and motors... they’re great when everything works but will make you pull your hair out when there’s a problem. Glad you got it figured out. Keep up the good work and thanks again for your video posts.
    J. Larson

Post Thanks / Like
    Installing the Rear Exit Exhaust had a few snags with V2 33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    Drive System Fitment for the small 33 Hot Rod V2 engine bay.

Post Thanks / Like
    So it looks like I have to move my rear shocks again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally finishing up the firewall.

Post Thanks / Like
    For the 33 Hot Rod V with an LS engine - 4L60 Transmission, you will have clearance issues and need to move the engine forward.

42. Likes Mrallsport32 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kit Car Talk with Street Rod Jim - Overview of the current progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you really have to wait for the car to be on the ground to start body work and door fitment? I have seen many other builds that started with body/doors before mechanical work. Many have stated they wished they had started with body first.
    '33 Hot Rod Gen 2 Roadster #1209, 33 Grill, 3-Link Rear Suspension, Leather Roadster Seats, Electric Assist Steering, Rear Exhaust, 2 Piece FFR Bonneville Wheels (18x9/20x11) Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires (255/45/R18 and 305/35/R20), '69 Ford 351w (Stroked to 393. All Forged), AOD, 8.8 31 Spline Rear with Trac-Lok, QA1 PromaStars (Front 9" 220lb/Rear 12" 200lb Springs).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shmelty View Post
    Do you really have to wait for the car to be on the ground to start body work and door fitment? I have seen many other builds that started with body/doors before mechanical work. Many have stated they wished they had started with body first.
    If you want to set yourself up for success and only do it once with less chance for error; YES. You do not have to finish the car all the way, but putting it on the ground changes things. I could not imagine getting everything perfect and then putting the car on the ground to see everything off. There is sag to the frame with the removal of multiple jack stands from the center of the car, however minute, will change the door gaps since they are minute and obvious to the eye. Bolting on the waterfall changes things. I am told to make sure I bolt on my Hardtop first too since it will change things. When cutting fiberglass, sometimes I feel like the panels are magically growing in between cuts, because things shift as they fall into place. Once they are in place, I want it to be the final resting place.. and that is with the car on the ground.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is clearance issues with the 4L60e transmission. I have to dial in the height so the driveshaft of the Factory Five 33 Hot Rod V2 so it is positioned correctly.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast