Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  72
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Street Rod Jim's 33 Hot Rod V2 #1143 Build - The Journey Begins

Post Thanks / Like
    Preparing for rear exhaust mock up by adding the body, headers and such.

33 Hot Rod V2 Coupe, Extra Clearance Hood, Bike Fenders, Rear Exhaust, LS Engine

2. Likes wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Street Rod Jim,

Can you please help me understand the purpose for taping off the holes?

Roger

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry Jim,

I tried posting to this video and it went somewhere else. I'm an idiot. Anyway, can you help me understand why you taped off the holes? Is it to keep the product out of the holes, or does it have something to do with sealing the plate to the frame?

Roger

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Pugh View Post
    Sorry Jim,

I tried posting to this video and it went somewhere else. I'm an idiot. Anyway, can you help me understand why you taped off the holes? Is it to keep the product out of the holes, or does it have something to do with sealing the plate to the frame?

Roger
    Hi Roger, holes of what? What are you specifically referring too and which video? Thanks, Jim
    33 Hot Rod V2 Coupe, Extra Clearance Hood, Bike Fenders, Rear Exhaust, LS Engine

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe he is talking about the under coat on the aluminum under the tank. This allows the aluminum to sit flush/tight on the frame.
    '33 Hot Rod Gen 2 Roadster #1209, 33 Grill, 3-Link Rear Suspension, Leather Roadster Seats, Electric Assist Steering, Rear Exhaust, 2 Piece FFR Bonneville Wheels (18x9/20x11) Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires (255/45/R18 and 305/35/R20), '69 Ford 351w (Stroked to 393. All Forged), AOD, 8.8 31 Spline Rear with Trac-Lok, QA1 PromaStars (Front 9" 220lb/Rear 12" 200lb Springs).

Post Thanks / Like

Holes

Jim,

I'm talking about the holes on the panel below the gas tank. You taped the holes up before you put on the lizard skin.

Roger

Post Thanks / Like
    I see, I thought it was possibly that. It's too bad you couldn't just skin the entire piece and just tighten it right down.

Thanks Shmelty!

Roger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim,

I'm talking about the holes on the panel below the gas tank. You taped the holes up before you put on the lizard skin.

Roger
    Along with marking out the frame for it to sit flush, there is also 3 holes for the gas lines that I had to tape up to give the gaskets room to sit flush on the metal. However, I am going to great lengths to make this look "show car". It is not a necessity for the average build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim,

I see, thanks for the info. I guess, in my mind, I would think that the lizard skin sprayed on the panel might even give a better seal than just metal on frame. It would keep the metal from potentially making noise as you would drive down the road. This probably just shows my ignorance, and I'm not even sure why I'm concerned for this but it sure was a lot of time to mask it all off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim,

I see, thanks for the info. I guess, in my mind, I would think that the lizard skin sprayed on the panel might even give a better seal than just metal on frame. It would keep the metal from potentially making noise as you would drive down the road. This probably just shows my ignorance, and I'm not even sure why I'm concerned for this but it sure was a lot of time to mask it all off.

The sound control is too thick, and the ceramic crumbles and is thick also. Plus you would never find your holes for the rivets if you pre-drilled them. If you wanted to go down that route, you can go with a thinned out undercoating and spray both sides. It would not have the same sound control and heat properties, but it would make it way easier and definitely make the panels not resonate on their own or rattle on the frame. If you want to know the formula, check out this GTM builders video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YQy...EUnVP&index=25 It is in the first few minutes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jim, I will definitely check it out.
    Roger

Post Thanks / Like
    A momentous occasion. I put the car on the ground for the first time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Working on rear exhaust, adding door hinges, trimming main body of car.

15. Likes JOP33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did you make any braaap braaap noices when you tested out the steering wheel??? Come one, be honest!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim, It's looking sweet!! Waiting for your next episode is more anticipatory than any tv show on the tube. Love it!! Keep up the good work and thanks again for allowing us into your shop.
    Roger

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I install my new Corvette Gas Pedal and Lokar shifter on the 4L60e transmission.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mock up of internal door parts.

20. Likes davidshearme liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    great work!
    I am at approx. the same point of my build and am looking forward to your windshield install ..... i am having to do a LOT of modification to get it to fit properly.... looking forward to your insight!

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I am working on The Drive By Wire Corvette Gas Pedal and fuse box.

23. Thanks Salty Chief 35 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am continuing with body work and digging into the waterfall and cutting in the dash of the Factory Five 33 Hot Rod V2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunc View Post
    great work!
    I am at approx. the same point of my build and am looking forward to your windshield install ..... i am having to do a LOT of modification to get it to fit properly.... looking forward to your insight!
    Hi, I am not at the windshield yet, but I have heard there needed to be much cut out. I have no context yet because there is only so much my brain can handle at a time...

Post Thanks / Like
    The body work continues with the waterfall, transmission tunnel and dash. I came up with a good system for marking the roll bar holes in the waterfall.

27. Thanks Salty Chief 35 thanked for this post
    Likes j33ptj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Today I am mounting the body to the frame/ firewall and also the waterfall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Still tackling the waterfall of my Factory Five 33 Hot Rod V2. Trimmed tubes, and lots of sanding.

30. Likes Salty Chief 35 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Today I am still doing body work. I will be trimming the trunk to the Factory Five 33 Hot Rod V2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Continuing with the body work. Trimming the trunk lid to the Factory Five 33 Hot Rod V2 is taking longer than expected due to all the curves in all directions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cutting in the front hood of my 33 Hot Rod V2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Working on issues with the V2 hot rod hood and side panel fitment. It just does not add up.

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel your pain Jim.
    I've been working on the roof for a month now and it still isn't finished.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    I feel your pain Jim.
    I've been working on the roof for a month now and it still isn't finished.
    Yeah..... With everything shutdown, I have no tech support and it is hard to get anyone to stop by and throw an option my way. Is what it is....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Side panels and lower skirts.

6B5E02E0-64AC-4310-89B0-E2A782F38C1F.jpeg

Jim, I have Gen. 2 chassis 1121 and was in the same spot with the side panels and lower skirts.
    So what I did was fit the hood. I then added Fiberglass to the lower skirts and fit them. Lastly, I cut the upper lip off of the engine side panels and cut the panel to fit. I then reattached the upper lip. I know it was not expected but if it doesn’t reach, it doesn’t reach. I also told FF they’re Just too short. It was suggested to take the angle out of the radiator, Well if I did that the hood was too short and I liked the angle.
    This by far was the biggest pain in the A—. Anyway that’s what I did.

F464006E-3D92-4564-8091-295251A699D9.jpg
    59DE0489-C138-44B8-B3DB-4E09152AD2B8.jpeg
    04B0CBBB-5A75-4E86-9001-816A5B19332C.jpeg
    Gen 2 chassis #1121 delivered 2-10-19. SBC 400 with FI Tech dual quad, 700R4 trans and IRS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Prepping the Hard Top for the 33 Hot Rod V2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Prepping the engine for the new Drive system. (harmonic Balancer for LS engine)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrallsport32 View Post

Jim, I have Gen. 2 chassis 1121 and was in the same spot with the side panels and lower skirts.
    So what I did was fit the hood. I then added Fiberglass to the lower skirts and fit them. Lastly, I cut the upper lip off of the engine side panels and cut the panel to fit. I then reattached the upper lip. I know it was not expected but if it doesn’t reach, it doesn’t reach. I also told FF they’re Just too short. It was suggested to take the angle out of the radiator, Well if I did that the hood was too short and I liked the angle.
    This by far was the biggest pain in the A—. Anyway that’s what I did.
    I have some questions. Did you only add fiberglass to the front of the valance? Because I feel the back side needs an inch to make the a frames come through correctly. (Maybe I am just thrown off by my insulators protecting the arms). It also seems to me that my body is raked, and it will not go any lower in the back, so the valance would have to be lower in front to try to line the bottom of the whole body correctly. And lastly, my belt lines do not match from the hood to the body. The hood belt line is lower than the body's belt line. Did you have those issues too?

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Street Rod Jim, since this is your own thread I have to say this - every single time I see your name I think of Death Proof and smile. I always hope that's intentional on your part

stuntman-mike.jpeg
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Rod Jim View Post
    I have some questions. Did you only add fiberglass to the front of the valance? Because I feel the back side needs an inch to make the a frames come through correctly. (Maybe I am just thrown off by my insulators protecting the arms). It also seems to me that my body is raked, and it will not go any lower in the back, so the valance would have to be lower in front to try to line the bottom of the whole body correctly. And lastly, my belt lines do not match from the hood to the body. The hood belt line is lower than the body's belt line. Did you have those issues too?

Jim
    2A752403-13D6-4CF8-9E43-151A7C223EB4.jpeg
    I Only added to the front. This is the Lower skirts right after I joined them together.

74E2B101-5FD6-4A8C-9EDF-EE010536B9CB.jpeg
    My body sat right down on the lower door frame rails and lined ended up pretty straight. Did you put any rubber bumpers or something similar under the hood on the cowl area where the rear of the hood sits. That would raise the hood some. I am also using the upper radiator mounts.

3C1E1015-9D84-48D9-8DBA-F7B4FB09296C.jpeg
    This was my first fitting of the lowers side skirts after I extended the fiberglass. Hope that helps. I know others have had to do the same thing and others who didn’t. So maybe F5 has different guys make the molds on different days, might be the luck of the draw, Or, I just don’t know what I’m doing. Haha.
    Good luck and I enjoy your videos.
    Gen 2 chassis #1121 delivered 2-10-19. SBC 400 with FI Tech dual quad, 700R4 trans and IRS.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just found your YouTube channel. Am really enjoying the excellent coverage of your build. I have to give you credit for jumping in and doing the build. I bet you are sweating a bit now that summer is here in Arizona. I don't know exactly where you are but I will tell you it is 109 today in Goodyear. Start early to beat the heat.

Wayne

Post Thanks / Like
    Plugging along and adding the wire harness to the Factory Five 33 Hot Rod V2

Post Thanks / Like
    Mounting the PCM, cutting dash holes, adding battery holder on my Factory Five 33 Hot Rod V2

46. Likes Salty Chief 35 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Today was a great milestone. Made clearance for the 4l60e transmission, properly installed the engine mounts, worked the spacers for the engine mounts, and replaced the LS harmonic balancer.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast