Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Centering Steering Rack Questions

Post Thanks / Like

Centering Steering Rack Questions

Working on centering my FFR power steering rack per the instructions that Karlos posted here. I pulled back the boots to expose the inner tie rod ends and have a couple of questions.

For the DS, I believe I need to measure the distance between the two points/lines below, the inside end of the inner tie rod and the outer side of the frame rail (fixed point) - is that correct?

For the PS, same deal, I believe I need to measure the distance between the two points/lines below, only the distance is VERY small, suggesting the rack needs to be shifted towards the DS to even the spacing.

If the above two measurements are correct, how can the rack can be shifted to the right when the mounting holes are all fixed to the frame? I have the Breeze bushings to assist with lateral adjustment but they won't account for this difference. Reading the post it appears you have to adjust the internals of the rack to get it even.

Thanks in advance for any insight or assistance!
    Tony
    Last edited by VAHokie; 09-02-2019 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Adjusted image placement
    MKIV Complete Kit #9494 l Delivered 1/5/19 l First Start 11/28/20 l First Go-kart 4/11/21 l Carb'd 347 l Mid-shift TKO600 l 3.55 IRS l P/S l Forte Mechanical Throttle Linkage l RT Turn Signal, Drop Trunk l Breeze Upper/Lower Radiator Support, Fan Shroud l Boig Upper/Lower Cool Tubes & Quiet Pipes l 18" FFR Gasser Wheels l Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Tony,

It looks like your steering wheel is turned to the right some. Is it centered lock to lock? Mine (Mk3.1 w/ stock/rebuilt Fox power rack) was much closer to aligned with the steering rack centered. I only had to shift maybe a 1/4-inch or so towards the driver's side using the offset bushings. I'll re-center the steering wheel on the spline after all the other stuff is done. Adjusting the outer tie rods will cause the steering wheel to turn on you, so watch out for that!

Cheers,
    Shack
    Mk 3.1, "Stock" 306 w/ Trickflow Top End, 4-into-4 headers, full MSD ignition, T-5, 3-Link, Ron Francis wiring all around, Autometer Ultralights, RT turn signal and gas pedal, NorthRaceCars A/C, heated seats, Hydroboost PS/PB (Brembo/Baer 13" combo), ABS, SAI mod, VPM sway bars, dual roll bars, dropped trunk, center console, APE hardtop, trick camera setup...too much time and $$$...one day she'll get painted! Delivered 8/05, first start 3/16/06, Go Kart 6/1/06, Titled & registered 7/21/08.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shackf16 View Post
    Tony,

It looks like your steering wheel is turned to the right some. Is it centered lock to lock? Mine (Mk3.1 w/ stock/rebuilt Fox power rack) was much closer to aligned with the steering rack centered. I only had to shift maybe a 1/4-inch or so towards the driver's side using the offset bushings. I'll re-center the steering wheel on the spline after all the other stuff is done. Adjusting the outer tie rods will cause the steering wheel to turn on you, so watch out for that!

Cheers,
    Shack
    Thanks, Shack. It hasn't been centered lock to lock, so that's the culprit. This dawned on me while I was thinking it through this morning and appreciate the validation! Are the measurement points noted in my pics accurate?

Thank again,
    Tony
    MKIV Complete Kit #9494 l Delivered 1/5/19 l First Start 11/28/20 l First Go-kart 4/11/21 l Carb'd 347 l Mid-shift TKO600 l 3.55 IRS l P/S l Forte Mechanical Throttle Linkage l RT Turn Signal, Drop Trunk l Breeze Upper/Lower Radiator Support, Fan Shroud l Boig Upper/Lower Cool Tubes & Quiet Pipes l 18" FFR Gasser Wheels l Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. You could use a different reference - they just have to be the same on both sides. Center the rack lock-to-lock, then center rack in the frame with the offset bushings, then adjust outer tie rods for equal thread engagement/toe in, then worry about centering steering wheel on the shaft. I'll probably need to grind a new flat spot on the rack for the locking screw on the steering shaft to fit against, which is really the last step. (Oh yeah, if needed due to inability to center everything, you may need the a steering limiter on one side to keep the amount of wheel turn equal...)
    Mk 3.1, "Stock" 306 w/ Trickflow Top End, 4-into-4 headers, full MSD ignition, T-5, 3-Link, Ron Francis wiring all around, Autometer Ultralights, RT turn signal and gas pedal, NorthRaceCars A/C, heated seats, Hydroboost PS/PB (Brembo/Baer 13" combo), ABS, SAI mod, VPM sway bars, dual roll bars, dropped trunk, center console, APE hardtop, trick camera setup...too much time and $$$...one day she'll get painted! Delivered 8/05, first start 3/16/06, Go Kart 6/1/06, Titled & registered 7/21/08.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think a lot of guys are confusing centering the rack shaft with the rack housing, don't. Centering the rack shaft gives you equal turning radius once everything is in place.
    Centering the rack shaft in the housing by verifying lock-to-lock center will give you equal travel left to right as the inner tie-rods travel is limited by the rack housing. If there is TOO MUCH travel (tires rub on inner "F" panels), limiter bushings can be installed on the rack shaft, restricting the left-right movement. The housing doesn't need to be perfect . . .

The steering wheel is the last item to be centered and can be accomplished a few different ways: relocating the u-joint on the splines (not all cars can do this depending on rack used), re-drilling the steering wheel mounting hub, installing a quick-disconnect that has multiple splines, relocate position of hub on upper steering shaft, fine adjustments to tie rods as long as it won't affect the turning radius previously set.

Doc
    Last edited by Big Blocker; 09-01-2019 at 07:03 PM.
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Shack and Doc. Appreciate all the input on this. I think I've got it all dialed in now after doing the following:

Centered the rack lock-to-lock. Total rotations lock-to-lock ended up being 2.5 turns, so I split the difference (1.25 turns) to get the rack centered. I then used the backend of the inner tie rod and measured the distance between it and the inside of the frame rail. I had to clearance the DS front mounting hole to allow for more lateral movement to get equal distance on both sides.

Here's the PS measurement at 7/16".

Here's the DS measurement at 7/16".

I then torqued down the mounting bolts to 50 ft/lbs per the Breeze instructions. Marked the inner steering tie rods 1" up from the end and threaded on the outer tie rod ends to that mark so they're equal on both sides. I don't have my wheels and tires yet, so i'll adjust later for the final toe-in measurements. Pics below, note that the locknuts aren't torqued down which is why you don't see any thread engagement.

DS outer tie rod end.

PS outer tie rod end.

If anything doesn't sound/look right, please let me know.
    Tony

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good to me, sitting at my computer in Vegas. I question the "clearancing" of the mount holes as opposed to getting some Breeze offset bushings, but if your "fix" works . . . nothing wrong with a little clearancing now-n-then. I've ground plenty in my frame to make things "fit better".
    If you find that the steering turns too much (to tight and rubs your "F" panels) , you can add the limiting bushings to the tie rods.
    Easiest test for equal steering radius is in a parking lot. crank the wheels full left and drive in a circle. Mark your start and finish positions. Now line up on those marks and crank the wheels to full right and see if you end up in the same spot as when you were going left . . . simple test, verifies turning radius is equal in both directions

That being said, none of us actually drive at full lock left or right so most of this is neither here-nor-there as far as normal driving conditions.

Doc
    Last edited by Big Blocker; 09-03-2019 at 04:33 PM.
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Blocker View Post
    Looks good to me, sitting at my computer in Vegas. I question the "clearancing" of the mount holes as opposed to getting some Breeze offset bushings, but if your "fix" works . . . nothing wrong with a little clearancing now-n-then. I've ground plenty in my frame to make things "fit better".
    If you find that the steering turns too much (to tight and rubs your "F" panels) , you can add the limiting bushings to the tie rods.
    Easiest test for equal steering radius is in a parking lot. crank the wheels full left and drive in a circle. Mark your start and finish positions. Now line up on those marks and crank the wheels to full right and see if you end up in the same spot as when you were going left . . . simple test, verifies turning radius is equal in both directions

That being said, none of us actually drive at full lock left or right so most of this is neither here-nor-there as far as normal driving conditions.

Doc
    Thanks, Doc. I actually have the Breeze bushings installed but couldn't achieve the required lateral movement to get everything even on both sides. Appreciate the tip on confirming equal steering radius.

Tony

Post Thanks / Like
    I am certainly not the expert on this, but having just been through the same process last week and doing research here, I question if you are making the measurements correctly if the bushings will not get you within spec.
    Again, someone else may chime in but are you measuring the inner rod length to fixed points on the frame with it maximally translated to alternate sides?
    Coupe Kit Delivered 11/10/23

Roadster Build thread: 2019-2022 https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...4-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MSumners View Post
    I am certainly not the expert on this, but having just been through the same process last week and doing research here, I question if you are making the measurements correctly if the bushings will not get you within spec.
    Again, someone else may chime in but are you measuring the inner rod length to fixed points on the frame with it maximally translated to alternate sides?
    Thanks, MSumners. I was hoping the Breeze bushings would get me all the adjustability I needed, but they only got me within 1/16 of an inch and a small clearancing of the DS forward mounting tab was all that was needed to get the measurements exact on each side. I know the pic above looks like the mounting hole is enlarged quite a bit but it's already elongated to begin with. To center it, I measured the ends of the inner tie rods to the inner edge of the vertical frame tube.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tony,

Totally unrelated to your post, but...Rah Virginia Mil...VMI class of '92!

Shack

12. Likes VAHokie liked this post