Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: What is the best way to fill the gaps between panels?

Post Thanks / Like

What is the best way to fill the gaps between panels?

I have almost completed the panels of the cockpit and trunk. There are several areas with gaps. How to seal these gaps is not addressed in the manual. I have surfed both forums. It appears that people use Seam Sealer and aluminum tape combinations. What is the best way to do this? I watched the Eastwood videos but the seams they are sealing are tiny. Here is what I have. The gap next to the yellow arrow in this photo is small but the red arrow next to the restrain anchor is close to 1/4 inch.

And this one on the PS footbox is substantial

MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I made simple patches out of scrap aluminum for mine:

For the smaller ones, just a bit of silicone and then I applied ThermoTech to the entire cockpit, which got the rest, like the ones around the seatbelt tabs. Some will warn about sealing the floors up too tight and not being able to get water to drain when you get caught in the rain. I'll address that if I need to, but for now my panels are sealed up pretty good.

Dave
    Last edited by Papa; 09-01-2019 at 10:06 AM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

3. Thanks Mark Eaton, Drezx6r thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    I made simple patches out of scrap aluminum for mine:

For the smaller ones, just a bit of silicone and then I applied ThermoTech to the entire cockpit, which got the rest, like the ones around the seatbelt tabs. Some will war about sealing the floors up too tight and not being able to get water to drain when you get caught in the rain. I'll address that if I need to, but for now my panels are sealed up pretty good.

Dave
    Dave,

I have duckbill scupper drains in the storage bays on my motorcoach and I'm thinking of using them on the car also. They seem to work well on my coach, and I haven't had any maintenance/wear issues with them. SEL 385311208.jpg
    FFR MKIV ordered 12 July 2019. IRS, Wilwood Brakes, 18" Wheels w/MT tires, power steering, EFI, Heat. 347 Dart w/TKO-600 by Mike Forte, Holley FI, MSD coil and CD box. All new, no donor build.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used this on the gaps by the seatbelt anchors. You can fold the ribbons onto themselves for wider gaps.

Hint: Put a light in the trunk and cockpit area, turn off the garage overhead lights, and peer under and around the sides of those areas to reveal the gaps.

71E95DA5-4BA5-4225-895B-D714C97752B4.jpg

68452E85-044C-4D78-8154-22D6D525E127.jpg
    Last edited by RJD; 09-01-2019 at 11:33 AM.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

6. Thanks Mark Eaton thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used 1" silicone

Seriously I did as Papa did, cut patches from aluminum scraps

Post Thanks / Like
    Patches and silicone for me too.

Drains? I got caught in a torrential Florida downpour miles from anything. I shop vacced over 4 gallons out the cockpit when I got home.

9. Likes facultyofmusic liked this post