Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 500 mile checkup and fan controller added.

Post Thanks / Like

500 mile checkup and fan controller added.

Kids on our street gave me the above name because I was always working in the garage.

I first posted on the Roadster page as “ I’m joining the club” Figured I should move over here and do some updates.
    Kit was ready to ship July 27th, she was delivered two weeks later on August 8th.
    My configuration is , IRS, powder coated, cut outs, Coyote, leather seats. blank dash, Power steering, heater, 17” halibrands, sun visors and wind wings.

Front suspension installed and rack centered per Karlos. I need to remove the shocks and check the rebound damping. All rivet holes drilled for front sheet metal.
    Front Driver.jpg
    58837496093__D58FFA49-5567-4EB9-9D62-7BFDAB211AC5.JPG

Optional jungle gym for grand kids
    Jungle gym.jpg

IRS installed, waiting for back ordered calipers. That pumpkin is heavy and awkward.
    IRS Pass.jpg

I was never warned by forum members on how many band aids I would need.

As she sits today.
    Full picture.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    check your upper "A" arm to hub bolts on the IRS, I think you have the spacer on the wrong side.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Is this wrong?

spacer.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mocked up the Russ Thompson drop trunk today. The instructions are clear and I’m very happy with the quality of his products.

IMG_1610.jpg

Matting corners are marked with matching alpha charters making it easy for dummies (me) to not goof it up.

IMG_1611.jpg

All mocked up, I had to do a second cut around the entire perimeter of the drop trunk to make the transition between the vertical trunk wall and existing trunk deck match better.
    IMG_1615.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Ordered my Gen 2 Coyote, TKO 600, scatter shield, hydraulic clutch, SS headers with cats, drive shaft safety loop and heated seat inserts from Mike Forte today. It sound like the Gen 2’s are getting harder and harder to find. Mike is a great guy to work with.
    I also dropped off my engine compartment panels for powder coating yesterday.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had my engine compartment powder coated the wrong color. I wanted a gun metal gray in came out a dark gray with a green tone. I think my path forward will be scuff up the panels and paint with a rattle can, a little depressed, oh well, push forward. Yes, it was me that picked the wrong color.
    IMG_1910.jpg
    IMG_1908.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bobm488 View Post
    Is this wrong?

spacer.jpg
    Can’t completely tell from the picture but seems ok, others should chime in. This is what mine looked like. Thread spacing should be approximately equal at the stated arm length for adjustability later as well.
    Last edited by MSumners; 09-28-2019 at 11:59 AM.
    Coupe Kit Delivered 11/10/23

Roadster Build thread: 2019-2022 https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...4-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Is this wrong?

spacer.jpg
    That looks like the way I did mine, which doesn't necessarily mean its correct, lol. But what do you mean by "wrong"?
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eaton View Post
    That looks like the way I did mine, which doesn't necessarily mean its correct, lol. But what do you mean by "wrong"?
    David Williamson said.
    "check your upper "A" arm to hub bolts on the IRS, I think you have the spacer on the wrong side.
    David W"

Post Thanks / Like
    The photo you showed is the upper control arm to spindle and the spacer looks correct to me.
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    A few progress photos.
    Installed a triple reservoir, this thing is massive.

Bracket made from old piece of angle
    Res Bracket.jpg

Res.jpg

Fabricated upper side panels for the trunk, easier and a lot messier than I thought. I traced the outside trunk panel onto a piece of aluminum, then added three tabs that would later be bent to sit on top of the trunk steel. After getting the shape, there was a lot of trimming and test fitting to miss the seat belt bracket and roll bar.

trunk side wall pat.jpg

Trunk layout.jpg

Trunk panel Driver.jpg

Trunk panel Pass.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Bob. The upper trunk panels look great!
    MK IV Build #9659, 3 link, 17's, Forte 347, Sniper EFI, power steering, built for a freak sized person with 17" Kirkey Vintage seats, RT drop trunk, RT turn signal, lots of stuff from Breeze Automotive, Wilwood brakes, paint by Jeff Miller

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good! good luck with the rest of the build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Coyote showed up from Forte the other day, it’s huge. Now the hard work begins.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bobm488; 10-17-2019 at 10:47 AM.

15. Likes Straversi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good Bob. Not the hard work. The fun work!
    MK IV Build #9659, 3 link, 17's, Forte 347, Sniper EFI, power steering, built for a freak sized person with 17" Kirkey Vintage seats, RT drop trunk, RT turn signal, lots of stuff from Breeze Automotive, Wilwood brakes, paint by Jeff Miller

Post Thanks / Like
    That Gen 2 sure looks better than the Gen 3!

Post Thanks / Like
    Coyote will be awsome in that car. Keep it going.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet new stuff. Looking forward to the coyote gen2 install.

Post Thanks / Like
    Coyote went in pretty easy. Unfortunately I broke the driver side exhaust gasket. Of course not even Ford keeps them in stock. Engine is sitting on the mounts but not tightened down. I don’t think I should do anything else on the motor until I know I can bolt the header in without having to jack the motor up or move forward to secure all the header bolts. Sorry for the rotated photos.
    Ready for eng install.jpg
    IMG_0180.jpg
    IMG_0149.jpg
    Engine in 3.jpg

21. Likes Straversi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Bob! Big day for you. Your build is looking good.

Post Thanks / Like
    May be something you want to do, or not. I think Jeff K sometimes puts a washer between the engine block and drivers side motor mount. This adds some clearance in the tight areas, ie foot box, valve cover, headers, etc.
    I just did this after the engine and headers are on. Might be easier now for you, if desired.
    It also makes the dipstick a little more accessible.

One other thing, I have the same reservoirs, not mounted yet. I put the F5 supplied ones on.
    Now I have to change out. It looks like with the reservoirs at the rear most position, the dip stick will be almost inaccessible. I have my body on and installing hood hinges, so should be able to check clearances.
    Last edited by Railroad; 12-01-2019 at 12:34 PM.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    May be something you want to do, or not. I think Jeff K sometimes puts a washer between the engine block and drivers side motor mount. This adds some clearance in the tight areas, ie foot box, valve cover, headers, etc.
    I just did this after the engine and headers are on. Might be easier now for you, if desired.
    It also makes the dipstick a little more accessible.

One other thing, I have the same reservoirs, not mounted yet. I put the F5 supplied ones on.
    Now I have to change out. It looks like with the reservoirs at the rear most position, the dip stick will be almost inaccessible. I have my body on and installing hood hinges, so should be able to check clearances.
    Thanks Railroad, I escaped my decorating duties for a few minutes to visit garage to investigate the reservoir/dipstick situation. I re-installed the reservoirs and it is definably not optimal, but it does work.

IMG_2080.jpg

IMG_2079.jpg

One washer/shim will make difference on the engine mount?

Post Thanks / Like
    I put one average thickness flat washer at each bolt, between the block and motor mount. I can now slide a piece of cardboard between the foot box and all close points on the engine and headers. It is more clearance than I had and put the engine on a perfect level.

The washer location will not compromise the motor mount. If you want to maintain surface contact area, get a fender washer.

Check with Jeff Kleiner. It is one of his revealed tricks.
    Last edited by Railroad; 12-02-2019 at 06:24 PM.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    I put one average thickness flat washer at each bolt, between the block and motor mount. I can now slide a piece of cardboard between the foot box and all close points on the engine and headers. It is more clearance than I had and put the engine on a perfect level.

The washer location will not compromise the motor mount. If you want to maintain surface contact area, get a fender washer.

Check with Jeff Kleiner. It is one of his revealed tricks.
    I'll add them tomorrow, thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Very very close to first start. I have a vacuum question.

Do I move the vacuum line from the inlet ell to the fitting on the manifold as shown?

vacuum1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty sure the hose from the air intake goes to the valve cover, Drivers side on mine. This provides clean air into the crankcase for the pcv to draw from. Mine is a Gen 1, plumbed a little diff.
    Hope that makes some kind of sense.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is one from the driver’s side valve cover that already ties into the ell on the opposite side.

Post Thanks / Like
    Valve cover on one side is PCV to intake vacuum source. Other valve cover to filtered air source.
    If these two are connected by a single hose, we need someone else to advise, unless it is to close the crankcase for shipping.
    I called Ford Perf to verify mine,,, one side already plumbed to intake, other side needed to be hooked to air intake tube.
    Manifold connection to air intake will be a vacuum leak.
    20190220_101608.jpg

If you can see in the pic. My drivers side is filtered by a K&N filter. the other side plumbs to the intake. Routing may be diff, but result is the same.
    Maybe a Gen II owner will post a pic.
    Last edited by Railroad; 12-14-2019 at 05:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just had my first start. My Oil pressure gage showed no pressure, I'll have to look into that.

https://youtu.be/AafX7u3_I-M
    Last edited by bobm488; 12-14-2019 at 07:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Speedhut gauge and sender, started out OK. 100 lbs, cold start, would go down between 60 and 80lbs warm. Later the reading would drop to very low, 20 lbs and then recover. Very unnerving. Speedhut sent me a new sending unit and all is well. Sounded like the engine fired right up, no problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Off to Jeff Miller Customs, De Bat. for body and paint. I'm thinking of a purple/blue with a dark gray stripe. Have not found the exact color yet.

trailer.jpg

Maybe something like this
    color.png

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I’ve graduated? The DMV is closed so no license. This has not stopped me from putting a few miles on it. Yesterday I drove it to the tire shop to have the 4 wheel alignment, boy was my alignment off. Drove it again this morning to the gas station. It seems to be running great so far with no leaks, probably just jinx myself stating that. I think I would have been done sooner if I could have done most task just once.
    Thanks to everyone in this forum for your help, It would have been a lot harder if not impossible (for me) to do this project without your help.

Coyote by Forte
    Paint by Jeff Miller, Da bat
    1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg

35. Likes Fman, PeteMeindl, bldr.rob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! Get that baby out in the sun and post some more photos please. There are three times when it is OK to brag about your accomplishments; job interview, asking for a raise and when graduating your FFR. Show her off.
    -Steve
    Last edited by Straversi; 05-13-2020 at 02:37 PM.
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Well done, congratulations from down the road.....

Post Thanks / Like
    I only have 5 miles on my car and I got my first snake bite today. It wasn’t from getting in or out of the car it was dusting the car off after a short drive to Starbucks. I don’t how you guys with small kids keep them from getting burned. I wonder how many more burns it will take for me to figure it out, if ever.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I’ve graduated? The DMV is closed so no license. This has not stopped me from putting a few miles on it. Yesterday I drove it to the tire shop to have the 4 wheel alignment, boy was my alignment off. Drove it again this morning to the gas station. It seems to be running great so far with no leaks, probably just jinx myself stating that. I think I would have been done sooner if I could have done most task just once.
    Thanks to everyone in this forum for your help, It would have been a lot harder if not impossible (for me) to do this project without your help.

Coyote by Forte
    Paint by Jeff Miller, Da bat
    1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg
    Like The color, This is a good looking car!

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations & Love The Color!

Post Thanks / Like
    I only have 5 miles on my car and I got my first snake bite today. It wasn’t from getting in or out of the car it was dusting the car off after a short drive to Starbucks. I don’t how you guys with small kids keep them from getting burned. I wonder how many more burns it will take for me to figure it out, if ever.
    Gets some shields they help a lot. I got mine from ********** here is a link. A little pricy but worth the protection and a lot of people compliment me on the look.
    https://www.**********accessories.co...s-ceramic.aspx
    MKIV #9122 Ordered kit 5/24/17 received kit 8/11/17 MK4 Base kit +,First Start 4/7/18, First Go-Cart 4/22/18, In gelcoat, licensed and driving 8/11/18. Coyote gen2, T-56, 2015 IRS 3.31, 17" Halibrand replicas w/Nitto NT555 G2, Withby Motorcars power brake kit W/Wilwood pedals, 04 Cobra front brakes, 15 Mustang rear brakes with mods, power steering. Paint Jeff Miller Da Bat, Lexus Spectra Blue Mica W/Toyota Silver Sky Metallic strips. Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Paul2STL-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    The first 100 miles has been pretty uneventful. I’ve had no leaks or significant issues. I’ve done two canyon runs and one three mile run down the freeway, baby steps. For now, I’m a little paranoid about getting to far from home.
    My parking brake was not completely releasing on the driver’s side, standard IRS FFR brakes. Added a compression spring where the cable actuates the brake per CV2065, 12-16-2018
    I added the power steering restriction orifice to the KRC power steering, following Terry from Las Vegas’s and GTBradley. May want to have the front end alignment tweaked to help with handling, recommendations would be appreciated.
    I have the FFR standard coolant overflow tank, it has not overflowed yet, hottest engine temp so far is 70C, outside temp about 90F.
    I currently have a 60 day temporary license.
    Thanks to everyone on this forum for helping another novices dream come true.

Post Thanks / Like
    You’re going to love that Coyote, not a lick of trouble for me in over 3000 miles. Beautiful car!
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast